The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Circus that is the Vancouver Canucks.

Bite me Burr

With all the abuse Vancouver and the fans of the team have endured, of late, I wonder what the breaking point will be for the owners? Looking back at the desperate PR stint that started with the whole "7" thing and then the Luongo as captain misadventure, the writing was on the wall for a drama-filled spectacle that could only end poorly. The Canucks are far from respectable on and off the ice as the hockey world has loudly exclaimed. I am not enjoying this era and wonder who else finds the antics of the management to be getting tiresome. The team I watched suffer through the late 80s, late 90's and into the WCE revival was never this much of a debacle, a circus; a side-show distraction that is considered a pun or a punch line for some well earned jokes.This team has a solid, respected, proud tradition ( winning isn't everything ), but is in danger of becoming an even bigger circus if nothing is done to rectify the free-fall that Gillis seems to be leading, as ringmaster. IMO, the team is on the brink of losing all credibility, especially off the ice. What could be done to salvage the miserable PR showing? Is there a way to get this back on the rails? And, why won't my enter key work here... sorry.

I think we need to get a new general manager. One that has experience, one that is respected around the league. Gillis often allowed himself to get fleeced or try to fleece and earning a bad rep with certain teams. No offense to Gillis but he should stick to being an agent or join a team as a contract negotiater or something cause he is good at signing contracts but not the strongest at trades.

/rant over

The circus that has been this franchise the last few years is due to:

1) Media oversaturation (local and national). Making mountains out of mole hills generates interest which generates ad revenue

2) On ice success. Everyone likes to take a winner down a peg, especially when they come from a market whose team isn't as good.

None of this has been brought on by the management or the players. These guys aren't that much different than managements and players in 29 other markets.

As for not liking this era of the Canucks, it's kind of understandable. When you're the favourite to win like the Canucks were in 2011 it's very disappointing when you don't. 2011 is probably the only year the Canucks have been the favourite. Sure there have been good teams, but even '94s team wasn't a clear favourite.

The circus that has been this franchise the last few years is due to:

2) On ice success. Everyone likes to take a winner down a peg, especially when they come from a market whose team isn't as good.

Everybody hates Detroit, Colorado, Pittsburgh,...? This point is bogus. It not if you win or lose, its how you play.

What will change it? Winning a cup. People still loathe the Bruins from 2011 and for good reason, but nobody says they're an overrated team everyone respects the team they ice. We don't have that same respect is the issue. Win a cup things will change

Mike Gillis is a great gm if the Canucks win the Stanley Cup this yr it's because of Mike Gillis making the right moves

CS for a 9th is a great move by a great GM? I'm saying no.That is one of many, but I am more looking at the antics than the trades and drafting stuff.

With all the abuse Vancouver and the fans of the team have endured, of late, I wonder what the breaking point will be for the owners? Looking back at the desperate PR stint that started with the whole "7" thing and then the Luongo as captain misadventure, the writing was on the wall for a drama-filled spectacle that could only end poorly. The Canucks are far from respectable on and off the ice as the hockey world has loudly exclaimed. I am not enjoying this era and wonder who else finds the antics of the management to be getting tiresome. The team I watched suffer through the late 80s, late 90's and into the WCE revival was never this much of a debacle, a circus; a side-show distraction that is considered a pun or a punch line for some well earned jokes.This team has a solid, respected, proud tradition ( winning isn't everything ), but is in danger of becoming an even bigger circus if nothing is done to rectify the free-fall that Gillis seems to be leading, as ringmaster. IMO, the team is on the brink of losing all credibility, especially off the ice. What could be done to salvage the miserable PR showing? Is there a way to get this back on the rails? And, why won't my enter key work here... sorry.

Seriously? How can we take you seriously? One of our best teams ever, and you're saying they're far from respectable on the ice?

Whatever. Keep stirring the pot.

Everybody hates Detroit, Colorado, Pittsburgh,...? This point is bogus. It not if you win or lose, its how you play.

The Canucks are #1 in their media market. The Red Wings are not. The Tigers and probably the Lions are ahead of them. The Avelanch are not. The Broncos are ahead of them. Pittsburgh is not. The Steelers are ahead of them. That's just local coverage. Nationally, people could almost care less about them because the NHL isn't nearly as relevant as the other 3 major sports.

In Canada, saying the NHL is king is an understatement. There is no going under the radar here. Everything gets amplified 1000x, so unless the Canucks play the perfect game, they're going to get flack from somewhere. Then the flack grows and grows until there's a flow blown media driven crisis. GM's make mistakes, players make mistakes. It's just the mistakes here NEVER get forgotten, they get repeated hundreds of times. Do you see people still laughing at Shero for Iginla and Murray? No, but people still laugh at Gillis for acquiring Roy. Heck, they still laugh at Nonis for trading for Weinrich and Carney.

Seriously? How can we take you seriously? One of our best teams ever, and you're saying they're far from respectable on the ice?

Whatever. Keep stirring the pot.

haha, really, is there any positive press on this team? I am not the problem, Deb. I've been here since Delorme was on ice. I get to say whatever I want if I think the team is looking like a circus act. Any you, deb, are excluded from anything that isn't pom pom related, super fan, so save your mommy routine. Bite me, Burr.

haha, really, is there any positive press on this team? I am not the problem, Deb. I've been here since Delorme was on ice. I get to say whatever I want if I think the team is looking like a circus act. Any you, deb, are excluded from anything that isn't pom pom related, super fan, so save your mommy routine. Bite me, Burr.

With all the crying you are doing, seems you need it. ;)

Point to Lahey, Deb your rebuttal?

Point to Lahey, Deb your rebuttal?

Really? Sounds like a confused, bitter and angry old man that buys in to all the negative media spin instead of doing some critical thinking on actual facts and the actual team.

Archived