The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Circus that is the Vancouver Canucks.

Bite me Burr

GMMG has made some mistakes no doubt about that, but he has done good things as well:

- brought good change in the backend of the organization

- brought in good depth pieces, (lappierre, torres, higgins)

- made some great signings (sedins, hamhuis, garrison, tanev, kesler) but -1 on the luongo signing

overall I think he has been more successful than not, we got to game 7 of the SCF where the last time we had a remote sniff at it was in 94.... 19 years ago!

For his drafting, I'm overall not too satisfied in him trading away a lot of our 2nd round draft picks but we shall see how the prospects turn out, this is the year they will need to step up.

haha, really, is there any positive press on this team? I am not the problem, Deb. I've been here since Delorme was on ice. I get to say whatever I want if I think the team is looking like a circus act. Any you, deb, are excluded from anything that isn't pom pom related, super fan, so save your mommy routine. Bite me, Burr.

Yeah, but there is nothing you can do about the circus act except ignore the purveyors of it. Put any of the teams you dearly loved from the past into todays media market and give them a whiff of success and you'd have the same result as the current squad.

GMMG has made some mistakes no doubt about that, but he has done good things as well:

- brought good change in the backend of the organization

- brought in good depth pieces, (lappierre, torres, higgins)

- made some great signings (sedins, hamhuis, garrison, tanev, kesler) but -1 on the luongo signing

overall I think he has been more successful than not, we got to game 7 of the SCF where the last time we had a remote sniff at it was in 94.... 19 years ago!

For his drafting, I'm overall not too satisfied in him trading away a lot of our 2nd round draft picks but we shall see how the prospects turn out, this is the year they will need to step up.

You're not wrong. I'm dissastified with that too in hindsight. Problem is, with the media, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you do, they're wasted picks. If you don't, your No-Nutz-Nonis or Stand-Pat-Quinn.

I think Gillis has done real damage to our team credibility off the ice this year with the way he handled the goalie situation. You don't think players around the league notice stuff like this?

Lui is so highly thought of around the league (except maybe in Boston) that the way this whole goalie debacle dragged on, how he was benched in the playoffs this year after the first two games and then how the whole trade deadline went down has to raise a few eyebrows of players around the league.

If you care so much what other people think about the team, stop supporting them. Problem solved.

This is our team, for good bad or worse and Im extremely proud to support this team for the last 23 years and will continue to do so regardless of negative eastern press or management turmoil.

But if you want to wallow in misery go ahead.

The team deserves criticism some times, absolutely, but it doesn't mean they're beyond hope or cheering for.

I think Gillis has done real damage to our team credibility off the ice this year with the way he handled the goalie situation. You don't think players around the league notice stuff like this?

Lui is so highly thought of around the league (except maybe in Boston) that the way this whole goalie debacle dragged on, how he was benched in the playoffs this year after the first two games and then how the whole trade deadline went down has to raise a few eyebrows of players around the league.

Rock and a hard place.

I truly believe MG TRIED to to what was best for the team and Lu and what he said he would do. Only when it became abundantly clear that there were no other options and he'd exhausted all his efforts did he make the hard decision to go the other direction.

Short of making that decision earlier, I'm not sure what else he could have done differently. And I honestly believe that the only reason he waited so long was because he held out some hope he might be able to do as promised.

Best intentions foiled by circumstance. It's far from his shining moment as GM but by all accounts he's done a pretty bang up job otherwise IMO.

haha, really, is there any positive press on this team? I am not the problem, Deb. I've been here since Delorme was on ice. I get to say whatever I want if I think the team is looking like a circus act. Any you, deb, are excluded from anything that isn't pom pom related, super fan, so save your mommy routine. Bite me, Burr.

If you simply state that you think the team's a circus act, that's fine - it's your opinion. But when you start to speak as "the hockey world" (has loudly exclaimed), then you're likely not qualified.

And that last part? It's called a personal attack, so save it. As is calling someone "it". Need a little work around the edges, Jim. And perhaps work on the grammar...your insults hardly make sense as worded.

So, really, you can't "say whatever you want" if it goes against the board rules. Try again.

There will be a day where you will be saying yes

well I hope there is, but a 9th? It shocked more than just myself on draft day. I think after all the circus leading up to that moment that in trading CS for a decent pick was bizarre to say the least, never mind that I think we didn't get enough from a team with a glut of D prospects.

You deserved it. Keep to attacking my posts, not me. And I'll try to do the same. :)

power is said to corrupt. Way to exercise your "it" insult control button too. As far as insults go, you sure picked your battles, here. Choosing to write an entire post, as a mod, on somebody is also interesting, as you suggest how and what I should say and write. I love it when "it" gets personal. "It" is an ugly thing, indeed, Deb. Now, go blow the smoke from that barrel of yours.

With all the abuse Vancouver and the fans of the team have endured, of late, I wonder what the breaking point will be for the owners? Looking back at the desperate PR stint that started with the whole "7" thing and then the Luongo as captain misadventure, the writing was on the wall for a drama-filled spectacle that could only end poorly. The Canucks are far from respectable on and off the ice as the hockey world has loudly exclaimed. I am not enjoying this era and wonder who else finds the antics of the management to be getting tiresome. The team I watched suffer through the late 80s, late 90's and into the WCE revival was never this much of a debacle, a circus; a side-show distraction that is considered a pun or a punch line for some well earned jokes.This team has a solid, respected, proud tradition ( winning isn't everything ), but is in danger of becoming an even bigger circus if nothing is done to rectify the free-fall that Gillis seems to be leading, as ringmaster. IMO, the team is on the brink of losing all credibility, especially off the ice. What could be done to salvage the miserable PR showing? Is there a way to get this back on the rails? And, why won't my enter key work here... sorry.

Ok, with all due respect, you didn't actually make any points. There are no poignant facts there, nothing that has "made" the team a "circus", no examples... zilch.

The only real issue has been the Luongo trade. To openly try to trade the goaltender for more than a year, then back away is NOT a recipe for success. It's like going to your boss saying you are leaving for a better offer, then staying with your current employer anyways - idiotic cause it is bound to fail. Bad blood on both sides. Apparently he declined Toronto as a destination, and then apparently he didn't. Which means he did. It is all just a whole lot of obfuscation, and we don't really know what happened. Except for the fact that it is going to end poorly and we need one of the 2 goaltenders we have competing for backup to be a #1 within a year. Luongo will not stay after this season (play well, win olympic medal, have playoff run with Canucks, move on to new team.. or get traded at deadline right after the olympics, that is even better).

The rest of the team seems still intact and focused. and who knows, maybe Luongo can be won over - but it's doubtful...

power is said to corrupt. Way to exercise your "it" insult control button too. As far as insults go, you sure picked your battles, here. Choosing to write an entire post, as a mod, on somebody is also interesting, as you suggest how and what I should say and write. I love it when "it" gets personal. "It" is an ugly thing, indeed, Deb. Now, go blow the smoke from that barrel of yours.

Deb you got to show him who's boss now girl *snaps

You were out of line with your comment at the end. Plain and simple.

You broke forum rules. Deal with like an adult.

Or don't...

Archived