The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat has more skill than ppl give him credit for!

Go Go Canucks Go

I know, life is so unfair. our 26th overall draft pick in '04 was traded for a 9th overall draft pick in '13. We got nine years younger and 17 draft spots higher in the trade, and we already had a vezina winning gold medal wearing awesome goalie, but it is a shame that we are stuck with these two facts and can't argue our way out of them, isnt it?

Yeah there's no Vezina winning goalie on Vancouver....

The Canucks spent years developing Cory Schneider, and just as he was about to take the reins, NJ swoops in to take him away. Now the Canucks have to start all over again with this new pick. If Lou Lamoriello (a much more respected GM than Gillis) thought that Schneider was worth giving up a top 9 draft pick, it would be fair to assume he believes Schneider will supplant Brodeur in the very near future. Big shoes to fill, but if any goaltender is ready to make the jump to full time, it's Cory.

Of course, if Luongo has a rough year or if ANYTHING goes wrong, he might be gone after this season, as the cap will go up and another year will be burned off his contract.

This puts a ton of pressure on Luongo, and he doesn't really respond well to pressure.

I like what Horvat brings to the table, but he doesn't help the team right away and Nichushkin would.

Meanwhile, our defensive prospects are still lacking a stud, and we already have a #3c-type guy in Gaunce. Horvat is projected to be an excellent #3c-type guy.

If we're 'building this team the right way', it's difficult to see, since Gillis' top picks lately have been guys who'd replace Malhotra, fine, but if the Sedins take off next summer, it sure as hell isn't fine.

If the Sedins do take off, that signals the official rebuild starting point. At that point i would draft a stud defenseman first, do NOT trade a 2nd rounder, so we can draft another defenseman there. In a deep draft (is it deep?), there's a good starting point. In fact the first two years of the rebuild i'd draft defensemen as a majority.

Meanwhile, i'd be dumping the core guys and our current flashy prospects. This is to load up on upcoming drafts, where we'd pick a ton of solid ohl and whl guys. Make sure some of those new guys have some freakin' size.

While these years will be lean, our new guys will be learning the ropes and building a team-first approach, blah, blah, blah.

Then by year 5 of the rebuild we'd want to tank, bigtime. Two years in a row. This is to secure our new franchise players, who'll be on ELC's when our defense and other guys are all ready to rise as NHLers.

Where does Horvat fit into all of this? At best, Bergeron guy. At worst, tradebait.

Archived