The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lawrence Gilman on Kesler

Westcoast_Ivey

Makes sense. If Kes is checking other teams' top lines of course he will play big minutes 5 on 5, top pk unit and 1st or 2nd PP unit. He will likely lead forwards in TOI/G.

I think Burrows will be moved to Kesler's line, Kassian with the twins, and the second line Booth Schroeder/Santorelli Higgins. Booth brings the high level offensive ability if he stays healthy, Higgins is a good anchor. Schroeder will be given a chance to succeed. If he flat out sucks I expect Santorelli to be slotted in.

People are far too caught up with line numbers.

It doesn't matter if you call Schroeder's line the second line or the third line he's still going to play 13 to 15 minutes per game. Nor does it matter what number you assign to his line because he's not going to be in the shutdown role. Which leaves a secondary scoring role much like Hodgsons role during his complaint filled season. People seem to forget back in the WCE era the Sedins were called "second line" but only played 13 to 14 minutes per game while Linden's third line (in the shutdown role) played 19 to 20 minutes. Prior to Malhotra signing Kesler was both second line and shutdown line. His career year for points came while in that shutdown role.

Think in terms of roles instead of line numbers...

Sedins - primary scoring - 19 minutes

Schroeder - secondary scoring - 14 minutes

Kesler - shutdown - 20 minutes

Richardson - energy line - 7 minutes

Problem is whatever the line combos, I see the line that Kesler is on as the second line. If that's the shutdown line (3rd line) or not, it will still be playing more than the "second line" unless we sign a legit 2nd line c...maybe if Roy stayed. Even if some of our young guys show some "stuff" in 2nd line c role, we are a cap struggling team throwing a 5m cap hit player on the third line?

This is gonna be goalie controversy all over again if Schroeder (etc) actually performs well in the 2c role. Kes seems to be fairly egotistical, can't imagine he'd be pleased with this.

This seems desperate to me to get some kind of hype going for the season. If its legit, this season is gonna be another disaster... :picard::sadno::sick:

2nd and 3rd overall picks though and they weren't exactly knocking anybody down the depth chart at the time especially with just 13 minutes a game on average.(essentially third liners actually)

Perspective (and being correct) is an important part of any argument.

I love Kes but the chances of Kes regaining his 41 goal season is over. 15 of those 41 goals that he scored in the 2010-2011 season were on the powerplay and since the NHL is becoming more stingier on penalties chances are he won`t score that many. Not to mention all of his injuries came after that year, It`s true this is his first healthy offseason since then but the guy is so injury prone. He CAN`T avoid injuries because of the way he plays, he is a heart and soul kinda player and will go balls out every night. Also his role on the team is HUGE, he`s on the PK, PP, and plays against the opponents best players on a shut down line, not to mention he plays an Avg. 23 mins each game. By sheer math its crazy to believe the guy has the energy to play night after night. At this point I would rather have Kes be on the third line this year and have a more relaxed role this year just so the canucks can keep him fresh throughout the season and to keep him fresh in general because in 2 -4 years Kes is going to be playing on the top line. Let Gaunce and/or Schroeder get those top 6 ice times NOW and get them used to playing a bigger role on this team because in a few years they WILL be playing on that second line (assuming that we don't make a trade to get a second line center after Hank retires).

Case and point: I LOVE the idea of Kesler being on the third line, it'll give our younger guys a chance to step up, prove their worth, and give them a taste of top 6 ice times, while also regulating Kesler's ice time without the risk of him getting injured from playing those extra minutes night in and night out.

When was Schroeder a point producing center LAST? In 2011 he tipped the scale at just over a .50 point per game player in the AHL and now you want him to be a 2C on team that is 'stacked' ahead of him? Sorry, I believe Gaunce and Horvat make this team before Schroeder does. 3c and 4c that is.

I'm not saying we shouldn't take time to develop players, I guess my point was some people think the purpose of the season is to make one young guy a star at the expense of the team's success. They need a chance but as Torts said in his interview, he'll work with youth "as long as its not going to hurt their development, and they will send them down if they need to get more minutes." It's a team sport and players need to earn their ice time.

It's just a pet peeve of mine when fans howl about our rookies getting more time when, quite frankly, they don't deserve it.

When was Schroeder a point producing center LAST? In 2011 he tipped the scale at just over a .50 point per game player in the AHL and now you want him to be a 2C on team that is 'stacked' ahead of him? Sorry, I believe Gaunce and Horvat make this team before Schroeder does. 3c and 4c that is.

I don't think Schroeder will be able to effectively fill any center position we have. I would love to be proven wrong, but I can't see him going up against the other 2nd line centers in the league.

Camp will tell us a lot more, but Gaunce or Horvat may have a better chance at playing 2nd line minutes than Schroeder.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Horvat/Gaunce Burrows

Higgins Kesler Hansen

Fourth Frickin Line

I am still not so hot on that second line. Booth kind of irks me. I wonder if another one of our young guys can make the 2nd line. It seems doubtful, but there is more uncertainty going in to this season than any since AV arrived.

I love Kes but the chances of Kes regaining his 41 goal season is over. 15 of those 41 goals that he scored in the 2010-2011 season were on the powerplay and since the NHL is becoming more stingier on penalties chances are he won`t score that many. Not to mention all of his injuries came after that year, It`s true this is his first healthy offseason since then but the guy is so injury prone. He CAN`T avoid injuries because of the way he plays, he is a heart and soul kinda player and will go balls out every night. Also his role on the team is HUGE, he`s on the PK, PP, and plays against the opponents best players on a shut down line, not to mention he plays an Avg. 23 mins each game. By sheer math its crazy to believe the guy has the energy to play night after night. At this point I would rather have Kes be on the third line this year and have a more relaxed role this year just so the canucks can keep him fresh throughout the season and to keep him fresh in general because in 2 -4 years Kes is going to be playing on the top line. Let Gaunce and/or Schroeder get those top 6 ice times NOW and get them used to playing a bigger role on this team because in a few years they WILL be playing on that second line (assuming that we don't make a trade to get a second line center after Hank retires).

Case and point: I LOVE the idea of Kesler being on the third line, it'll give our younger guys a chance to step up, prove their worth, and give them a taste of top 6 ice times, while also regulating Kesler's ice time without the risk of him getting injured from playing those extra minutes night in and night out.

Hmmm everyone seems to think if Kess does move to a shutdown roll that Schroeder CAN'T fill in offensively. Not saying he will; but stop putting size as a reason he can't. you insult Cliff Ronning,Doug Gilmour, Theo Fluery and all the other small forwards and Centers who have made it big or made top 40 in points for atleast the one year. Did being smaller his whole career suddenly change meaning???

Archived