The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 6-1 Coyotes

Drouin

I'm enjoying Tortorella more and more with each passing day. He's shown us a good offensive system that works well with the make-up of our team and isn't afraid to push even when we're ahead.

This game showcased a strong, three-man forecheck and green lights for the defense to fire at will. It's the perfect match for our hard-nosed forwards and high-power defense. Looks good so far with puck-possession on an opposing collapsing defense. I'm curious to see how it fares against better, more defensively aggressive teams.

I was at the game tonight, and Santorelli really stood out for me. Hansen and Higgins looked real good all night as well. Kesler got a few chances he wouldn't get in the regular season, but I think he will be good this year.

Shink didn't look great tonight, honestly. Not bad, but didnt have the puck as often as his linemates, and often missed the puck. Did well with it most of the time, though. Tried to play big but he often hit a guy and the guy didnt lose possession. Good effort, but didnt seem to work out that well.

I like the idea of giving him 9 games, but send him down afterwards unless he is excellent.

I was at the game tonight, and Santorelli really stood out for me. Hansen and Higgins looked real good all night as well. Kesler got a few chances he wouldn't get in the regular season, but I think he will be good this year.

Shink didn't look great tonight, honestly. Not bad, but didnt have the puck as often as his linemates, and often missed the puck. Did well with it most of the time, though. Tried to play big but he often hit a guy and the guy didnt lose possession. Good effort, but didnt seem to work out that well.

I like the idea of giving him 9 games, but send him down afterwards unless he is excellent.

Santiorelli plays a lot like Justin Williams. A speedy, two-way forward who gets the job done at both ends of the rink. He isn't the biggest guy out on the ice but he isn't afraid to get to those dirty areas. I love how he went hard to the net to get that greasy goal tonight.

If he plays consistent down the stretch and can put up another 40+ point season, I can see him playing a vital role in a potential run for the cup, much like Williams has done in the past with the Hurricanes ('06) and the Kings ('12) in their cup victories.

So what did I miss?? are we rolling out the parade material for the Stanley Cup Parade??

Everyone freaks out over our 3 preseason losses and now that we blow out the Coyotes 2nd liners we should be good to go 82-0 for the season right??

All in good fun though. I thought Horvat was definitely noticeable tonight considering he & Gaunce were on the 4th with Tostito. The fact he was dominant in the dot and pulling off a miracle in getting that big pylon Sestito to score, should give him some brownie points to play with.

Richardson & Santorelli have stood out each game they have been in with their hustle and in Santorellis case, putting the puck in the net. It is a good sign for our team that they play the high energy game Torts likes.

If our team can produce offense like this and not just from our top line then we shouldn't have too much of a problem winning games.

Nice game, feels good to get a win after 3 losses. Even if the games don't count and its mostly about seeing where the players fit in, especially the prospects, you don't want to go into the regular season on a slump. Its not good for confidence or team morale. There were a lot of positive signs in this game that were encouraging. Santorelli definitely looking like a keeper, Horvat finally got on the board and had a strong game with some nice helpers, showing good passing skills, and Weber's goal was a beauty.That shot reminded me a lot of Ehrhoff. I hope he sticks. We could really use another puck moving d man. Like what I saw tonight.

I'm feeling much more confident with our bottom 6 this year. Richardson and Santorelli are great additions to our team and I think will both be super solid for us defensively... and should also be adding some goals here and there.

Glad to hear Torts after the game say he isn't happy with Sestito's conditioning and that they are working doubly close with him than others on getting in better shape.

It's early, but already we are getting a glimpse of what Torts will bring to our team. Instead of putting all the onus on our players to get in shape, play with passion, etc. he is taking control (like a coach should) and making it happen with our guys.

Result is what I expected when most of our vets were in the lineup. Solid play across the board. Nice to see Horvat pick his game up in the second half. Don't think he's do e enough to earn an NHL spot, back to Juniors for him. Shink looks good, Gaunce is NHL ready as far as his smarts and positioning go, hope he gets a shot.

Weber has a hell of a shot, I'm a little concerned about his defense but he should be a decent 6-7 dman, which likely means Corrado is going AHL. Looking forward to real hockey starting.

Archived