The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] VAN Claims Ryan Stanton

Strombone1

I think Alberts is a better defensive defenseman than Weber. Torts wants defensively responsible players, Weber has shown a few real bad moments in this preseason defensively and overall his defensive awareness needs work.

Not saying Alberts doesn't have his " cement head " moments, but I think he will stay so if a defender is to be waived or moved out I could see it being Weber.

I suspect that Weber goes. Weber will not get PP time, isn't good enough defensively to PK. RD on the PP will be Garrison and Bieksa. If one of them gets injured I suspect Corrado will be called up. Alberts has PK'd in the past. His physical play keeps him on the roster and coaches will work with him to get him back up to speed. If Stanton bumps Alberts then he will sit as a 7 or 8 dman.

Someone earlier suggested that Alberts was a better dman than Rome. Still wondering what he was smoking?

The player has to clear waivers and then be assigned to the AHL before the deadline, so anyone put on waivers today would be too late to clear tomorrow and be sent down. We won't be relying on someone to clear waivers to make the 23 man roster deadline today.

Shinknaruk likely to be sent down for sure. The only other player who wouldn't have to clear waivers is Kassian, and that makes no sense since he still has to serve out his suspension and the AHL wouldn't let him play. Schroeder to IR (and then LTI if necessary) clears a spot as well and we'll make a decision later on who to send down (or use Weber up front) if Torts still wants 14F/7D.

I don't mind this pick-up at all. The team needed to add another 7/8 guy for depth and they were thin on the left side (with only Alberts being a lefthand shot D who fits a depth role--of course, the Canucks have 3 excellent top-four lefties).

I'm a little surprised that they opted for Stanton over Robak. Robak is bigger, younger, and more experienced at the NHL level. I suppose that the physical differences are slight--Stanton is 6'2" and played at 205lbs last season (according to theAHL.com) while Robak is 6'3" and 210lbs--but Robak certainly has more upside and IMHO the better package of skills and talent.

That said, Stanton is tougher and plays more of a typical depth role as a physical defenseman who makes safe plays and clears his own zone but doesn't give much more. With Robak, they'd have a guy with upside who might compete with Corrado and Weber (and the upcoming D prospects) for a more significant role. That would probably be a redundant addition, unless he was a bluechipper (which he isn't really--although he's an HF 7.0B, which is similar to Corrado, and he was the #3 D on Florida's very deep prospects chart, so some pretty respectable upside/potential for Robak).

Stanton was a 6.5D on his last HF ranking (and has a far less sparkling scouting report). However, his main positives are his physicality/toughness and his safe game in his own zone (traits echoed in multiple scouting reports and profiles on Stanton).

The Canucks are better served by adding a guy who can hopefully be counted on to provide roughly 10-15 minutes of 5v5TOI/G (and maybe some PK) during injury relief where he doesn't hurt the team and plays safe, low-event minutes. Stanton should be able to do this. He should also be able to add some toughness and physicality. Stanton averages 100+ PIM and 5 fights per season.

At least he can take some pressure off of guys like Bieksa (if/when Stanton gets into the lineup). I'd rather have Stanton in the box for five than Juice (even though I like seeing Bieksa fight ocassionally).

So yeah, the more that I think about it. Stanton is a good add (and probably makes more sense than some of the other waiver options with higher upside and talent levels).

His $550,000 cap hit fits the bill well too (for a #8 D).

Hard to glean much information from the usage stats over one NHL game with Chicago last season. However, for what it's worth, he did play against high level competition (tougher matchups than Keith's average) and with very low offensive zonestarts (30%), and put-up excellent stats in the process (62.9 CF%, +63.3 Corsi Rel, and a 100 GF%). So, for that one game, at least, he was a very effective defensive defenseman who drove play in the right direction (including a 30% to 50% offensive zone starts to finishes). Once again, these are game stats from 1 GP (17:05 TOI) so take it for what it's worth.

EDIT: typos, corrections, spelling

Bah, just because it's done, doesn't mean you have to like it.

They *could* have dispatched Kassian to Utica for one game, sent Alberts on waivers today, and bring back Kassian tomorrow. Alberts would have cleared waivers and we'd have Shinkaruk for a few games at least. Alberts would have probably got more playing time in Utica for 9 games anyway. This is what I was hoping for, but apparently its not happening :(

Bah, just because it's done, doesn't mean you have to like it.

They *could* have dispatched Kassian to Utica for one game, sent Alberts on waivers today, and bring back Kassian tomorrow. Alberts would have cleared waivers and we'd have Shinkaruk for a few games at least. Alberts would have probably got more playing time in Utica for 9 games anyway. This is what I was hoping for, but apparently its not happening :(

Archived