The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Update] Burrows out for a couple of weeks

canucks.brad

Strange debate, whether to block shots or not. Every player in the NHL except the odd superstar blocks shots.

Just because the new coach emphasizes the importance of this, in light of the fact the Canucks were at the bottom of the league last year, is just simply paying attention to detail.

I'm sure every goalie in the league without exception, appreciates his players blocking shots under the right circumstance and in the right situation, as opposed to when they don't appreciate it, like when a defenceman backs in too far and screens the shooter. That's a judgement call, I've never heard of any coach ever suggest that he doesn't want his team blocking shots.

While this will inevitably lead to some injuries, management and coaching should at the same time insist that all their players be equipped to the maximum to ensure they minimize potential injuries.

With the light weight padding and carbon/Kevlar equipment available today, there's no reason that players shouldn't be better protected. I recall Kesler broke his foot and finally agreed to wear a guard over his skate that was made for defensemen, this is a recurring problem since the Ryan Johnson days, even though the equipment is available to minimize the possibility of injuries, players are slow to change habits, so management needs to set standards and enforce compliance.

I don't think it is a strange debate at all.

This team has gone from puck possession to dump n chase,goal scoring proficient to goal deficient,PP masters to curious wannabe's.

Grinding teams must block pucks.Puck possession teams are the ones shooting the pucks.

Note the amount of goals scored since Gillis decided to go tougher instead of with skill and finesse.

Canucks are now middle of the league instead of at the top.

Blocking shots is a sign of team weakness. Too many guys are trying to do it now and it makes it too hard for Luongo to track the puck. He already gets surprised every game and now this "we all fall down" edict by the new coach. I don't think he really wants everyone trying it. They should get the puck and skate up the ice not lay down. That is Luongo's job. This team is going no where this year but they have new stansion lights.

I don't think it is a strange debate at all.

This team has gone from puck possession to dump n chase,goal scoring proficient to goal deficient,PP masters to curious wannabe's.

Grinding teams must block pucks.Puck possession teams are the ones shooting the pucks.

Note the amount of goals scored since Gillis decided to go tougher instead of with skill and finesse.

Canucks are now middle of the league instead of at the top.

relax everyone....its not really the end of the world with burrows out

obviously, wish he was healthy, but maybe this would be a blessing in disguise

we get to try out some different line combos with the sedins earlier on in the season

now would be a good time to see how kesler's line will do

we get to try out some line up changes that we'd normally wouldn't do

I mean, sure we might lose tonight, but i'd rather have burrow hurt now (hope him a speedy recovery) than in march.

Let's just see how our team does for a couple more games before trying to write off the whole season

I disagree with you there. Kassian doesn't fit on the 3rd line in my opinion. He's not good enough in his own end and if you float on the 3rd line it leads to bad things happening (vs floating in the top 6 which typically leads to positive things not happening). As far as the 2nd line goes, if his linemates are Kesler and Burrows say, I don't think he has the speed to keep up with them. Unless he gets in quickly and parks himself in front or brings up the rear to quickly dive on rebounds I don't see him being effective there.

With the Sedins he gets two goes that will play at his speed (may think far faster than him though) and both are adept at setting up the other players. Kassian has the best shot at success with the Sedins vs. any other line. This isn't about "earning" your spot in the lineup at this point, it's about generating goals and wins as quickly as possible. If Kassian doesn't fit with the Sedins then you go elsewhere.

At this point he's the only thing we've got to hang our hopes on really.

This season is going to be ugly. Gillis will hopefully be canned by mid-season, he has done a brutal job and this off-season was pathetic on all fronts.

Let us see how the team responds to this. Losing Burrows for a couple of weeks leaves a pretty big hole to fill.

This season is going to be ugly. Gillis will hopefully be canned by mid-season, he has done a brutal job and this off-season was pathetic on all fronts.

Let us see how the team responds to this. Losing Burrows for a couple of weeks leaves a pretty big hole to fill.

Archived