The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No question that he's been the bargain of the year so far, the best bang for buck signing in the league last summer. Also no question that he brings a lot of versatility to the team: more than comparable players like Hansen or Higgins. So signing him to a Hansen/Higgins kind of deal is not out of the question, as long as there's no NTC. At some point, though, we do need to look at converting some of our depth at forward into an upgrade in quality: ideally a top six sniper, but maybe a chance to move up in the draft or fleece some team looking to make a run at the trading deadline for a top prospect. Having another controlable and dealable asset can only help make that happen. Maybe Hansen goes instead, as suggested above, or maybe several such players are bundled for something better. Maybe there's no deal to be had and we end up with a stacked 4th line. Whatever the scenario, it's never a bad thing to have this kind of player in the lineup at the right price.

Yes.....I know that. Did you read what I said? I said forwards must be pissed because he pinches EVERY shift so they HAVE to cover for him, basically playing his position for the entire shift.

When you are a forward, especially a winger on the PP, you'd like to be below the hash marks trying to make plays.

I did read what you said and it's stupid. If the choice is pinch or let the puck be cleared unopposed, you pinch. Which means a forward needs to drop back. Which is better: pinching and keeping the preasure on (with a forward dropping back) or giving their D a free shot down the ice? Maybe if the forwards did a better job of controlling the play down low he wouldn't have to pinch EVERY shift.

No we should not re-sign borderline fringe 3rd line players, we have too many of those.

It doesn't matter that we cannot replace him easily, he is probably our mvp, does everything, we have tonnes of overpaid players in comparison, just get him out of here. If we trade him now, while his value is still high, we might be able to snag a player of David Booth's calibre off some unexpecting GM. Heck if we are really lucky, they might even auto accept and MG will not have to worry about having to hide from the media etc until the trade goes through.

Lets DO this!

Who's with me?

No we should not re-sign borderline fringe 3rd line players, we have too many of those.

It doesn't matter that we cannot replace him easily, he is probably our mvp, does everything, we have tonnes of overpaid players in comparison, just get him out of here. If we trade him now, while his value is still high, we might be able to snag a player of David Booth's calibre off some unexpecting GM. Heck if we are really lucky, they might even auto accept and MG will not have to worry about having to hide from the media etc until the trade goes through.

Lets DO this!

Who's with me?

If you're selling any of that stuff I can hook you up. Jabba and Boba Fett are huge 'heads.

No, unless it's for peanuts again.

We've gotta leave spots open for guys like Horvat, Gaunce, or Shinkaruk.

Signing third liners when we've already got an abundance of them makes no sense. We need all the cap space we can get for upgrading the top 6.

I would think we should see what he contributes during the entire year before even broaching that issue. I really like Santorelli's play to date. and in fairness to him I won't personally even label him to any line until what a full year of his play with the team shows, That I say would be the smart thing to do.

Yes.....I know that. Did you read what I said? I said forwards must be pissed because he pinches EVERY shift so they HAVE to cover for him, basically playing his position for the entire shift.

When you are a forward, especially a winger on the PP, you'd like to be below the hash marks trying to make plays.

What

LOL hahahahahaha

Why the hell wouldn't we re-sign him…. This offseason all we have to do is buyout Booth and a spot opens up in our top six for a free agent or a prospect.

SEDIN SEDIN BURROWS

(????) KESLER KASSIAN

HIGGINS SANTO HANSEN

SESTITO RICHARDSON WEISE

Funny how easy that is to say when it's not your money. lol

If anyone has deserved to get resigned is Santo. Dude came in with the best attitude, came in the best shape to training camp, and plays his heart out every night. We signed him to be a 3-4c plug and he has proven to be one of our most valuable forwards this season. YES, barring something crazy, he deserves a resigning.

He was signed for Utica purposes but was phenomenal in training camp and preseason and earned his spot on the team.

This is my thought on next years roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (I whole heartedly believe Burr is and will continue to be the best fit here.)

? - Kesler/? - Kesler/?

Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen

Archie - Richie - Weise

Garrison - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Tanev

Stanton - Corrado

Some obvious omissions.

- I believe Booth will be bought out if his play remains low, I also believe he will be traded if his play returns MG wont risk keeping him around if he can be traded, too many red flags and that 4.25M is very valuable.

- I look at Kassian, Hansen, and Weise and honestly believe the latter 2 will remain on the team, Hansen isn't having a great season but his play in past seasons shows he is a proven workhorse and should be given some time. Weise has played really well as a PKer and energy role, has looked better every season here. Kassian should be traded while he still has value, yes he may become a formidable pwr fwd but with an aging core we don't have the time to wait and see.

- Edler, who has been the hottest player in the Armchair boards should be moved, because honestly our D have played better with him out of the lineup and bringing Corrado up should be a priority for this team. Edler is more valuable to use as a trade piece than as a player. His "offense" may be missed a bit but if I am not mistaken our other 5 D have same/more points than him.

- Sestito is omitted due to his terrible possession stats but will still be around as a 13th forward, same with Welsh.

- Schroeder has no place on this team now or in the future, great young player but is slowly becoming a player made of glass.

Players like Callahan, Stastny, Camalleri, Moulsen, Vanek, Steen, Grabo, Legwand, Michalek, Steen, these are the players we should be targeting at the deadline and FA.

Everyone who thinks all our F prospects NEED to be on the team should remember that a lot of our players are getting older and we are still in a position to make a run or two. There is no harm done in keeping prospects in the Minors, not until they are ready. I personally want Gaunce to get at least one year in Utica, And Bo Hunter both have a full year of CHL they can benefit from plus time in Utica. Injuries will happen, they will get their chance.

So my answer is yes. Santorelli is a great player, can play anywhere, is a great stopgap for the time between now and when our prospects are READY to be called up, and is one of the players I do NOT want to move to make way for UFA's. Santorelli should be signed to a reasonable third liner contract. Kassian, Edler, Schroeder, and Booth should be moved to bring in, via trade or signing, two 2nd line players.

No, unless it's for peanuts again.

We've gotta leave spots open for guys like Horvat, Gaunce, or Shinkaruk.

Signing third liners when we've already got an abundance of them makes no sense. We need all the cap space we can get for upgrading the top 6.

The cap is going way up, and I would definitely give Santo a contract for the next two years. I would much rather see him in the lineup rather than Booth, and there is the option to use the CBO on Booth.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Santorelli Kesler Shinkaruk

Higgins Horvat Hansen

I see spots open in the top 9 with him in the lineup, and if we can upgrade our top 6, then he's a very interchangeable piece to move down in the lineup.

He was signed for Utica purposes but was phenomenal in training camp and preseason and earned his spot on the team.

I was not aware Santorelli was simply signed to play in Utica only. Where did you get that?

If the Canuck talent scouts are not better than that, I can easily see why Vancouver has not won a cup. If that is the case then management better have a better look an Stan Smyl and appraise his talents.

I do not think Santorelli was simply signed to fill a spot in Utica. That is simply gossip.

I won't argue with you there....no question.

He is still overpaid.

For him to flourish...ideally...he should be at best a #5 guy.

I don't care if he gets 50 points, his defensive play is not worth it. Especially his routinely horrible reads, pinches and casual puck handling. I wonder how pissed the forwards get covering for him at the point basically every shift.

Love his grit, fighting ability (although he REALLY picks his spots) and heart....but that's about it.

Personally, I'm surprised he ever became a D-man. His style of play suits a 2nd/3rd line PF.

Your opinion is just that your opinion.

Yes Bieksa makes a few blunders out there just like every other player. But in my VHO he is worth every penny he is paid. Hockey would be as boring a tiddly winks if mistakes were not made. No team will ever eliminate mistakes, what you really try to do is limit them and make fewer ones than the team you are playing.

Your opinion about him being a PF on the 2nd or 3rd is also just another opinion as well. I don't get your rationale on that one either. I suppose hockey talent is in the eyes of the beholder.

I was not aware Santorelli was simply signed to play in Utica only. Where did you get that?

If the Canuck talent scouts are not better than that, I can easily see why Vancouver has not won a cup. If that is the case then management better have a better look an Stan Smyl and appraise his talents.

I do not think Santorelli was simply signed to fill a spot in Utica. That is simply gossip.

At the time, if you looked at the roster spots, this was our lineup coming into training camp.

Sedins-Burrows

Higgins-Kesler-Booth

Hansen-(rookie)-Kassian

Weise-Richardson-Sestito

Schroeder

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Jensen

Gaunce

Santorelli

Gillis said he was injecting more youth into our lineup and at the time, we just purchased Utica so any signing afterwards was strictly for Utica purposes to fill out their roster. It was assumed that a rookie would be in our lineup to open the season and Santo wouldn't make it.

Santorelli was signed for depth, to give the Canucks’ farm team in Utica, NY, a skilled, experienced, one-time NHL scorer. He got none of the summer hype that surrounded June draft picks Bo Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk.

And if one or both of those new, shiny baubles failed to make the Canucks this fall, well there were still other first-rounders Nicklas Jensen and Brendan Gaunce in line ahead of Santorelli. Plus Jordan Schroeder, plus real NHL free agent Brad Richardson.

Source: http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/10/08/mike-santorelli-the-best-canuck-story-going/

But once none of our rookies made it on the team, and Santo just outperforming nearly everyone, including the Sedins, in preseason and training camp, and the acquisition of Welsh and Dalpe, it was clear that none of our rookies would make the team and Santo literally fought for a roster spot and earned it.

Santo will be resigned. I dont see them not resigning the teams overall best performer this year thus far. With the cap going up next year, and the more-than-likely trade/buyout of Booth, it definately gives them some more room to pay him too. As far as him being a "border-line 3rd liner", really? 3rd on the team in points, and battling with Kesler night in and night out for who the hardest worker is each game. Smart in both ends of the ice, penalty kill, power play, and not to shabby in the face-off circle.. That gets pushed to the third line? We better have damn good 1-2 lines if thats our third line center. He has more than proven that he deserves to be in the top 6 thus far. And with Torts already saying he likes Kes on the wing, my guess your top two lines next year will be Burrows-Sedin-Sedin, Higgins-Santo-Kes.. The bottom six next year could be a shoot-out, with the young guys getting a good shot to crack the bottom six. But honestly, I dont see any of them making a step up to be in the top six by next season.

Archived