The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Underrated celebrities

si robertson

Aw, cousin Avi is dead though. (Or do they have to be alive? Meh.)

I know Alan Arkin has received a lot of recognition lately, but he's been in so many little movies in so many little roles and he'd absolutely CARRY the movie.

Little Miss Sunshine? Decent movie, but Arkin made it great. And, my guilty pleasure, Jerky Boys. That movie is fantastically awful, but Arkin was gold. He carried it. Just a couple examples. That beverly hills one. Horrible, go nowhere movie, except where Arkin is on-screen.

He's like Christopher Walken, but a bit less weird. Walken is another guy who makes everything on the screen better. Even that horrific ping pong movie starring a jack black clone nobody.

Somebody mentioned The Rock, and i tend to agree. He's a bit type cast now and hasn't brought much new to the screen. (Cops. Roadblock. More cops.... All interchangeable.). But he does his thing well. Him, Stiffler and Walken together in that amazon movie was a great combo.

Seems to me that action stars get stuck in a rut. Need a generic musclebound cop toughguy? The Rock. Need a car chase guy? Statham. Need a less hawaiian musclebound toughguy? Diesel. Typecasting. And then insert lame family comedies like The Toothfairy and The Pacifier. The Arnie blueprint? Hey whatever. Can't wait for the Rocky vs. Raging Bull movie coming up. (Groan)

Somebody mentioned The Rock, and i tend to agree. He's a bit type cast now and hasn't brought much new to the screen. (Cops. Roadblock. More cops.... All interchangeable.). But he does his thing well. Him, Stiffler and Walken together in that amazon movie was a great combo.

ah is that called The Rundown? A couple days ago I was looking through my hard drive for a movie to watch and I came across that. I had to google it to find out what it was and I had no memory of downloading it. Still haven't watched it yet but I guess this is a sign that I should.

^Bill Nighy tried to save Pirates 3 from being total garbage, but to no avail. Nevertheless, he's awesome. Shawn of the Dead. Lolz.

Micheal Ironside, from Total Recall and Starship Troopers. Always liked him as a random toughguy.

actors-Michael_Ironside.jpg

Ironside is a great actor. Have you seen him in The Last Chapter? Played that role really well.

underrated actors:

- John Turturro: This guy's work with the Coen Brothers (O Brother, Barton Fink, Big Lebowski) is all gold, Jerry. Would love for the Coens to make a Lebowski spin off about his Jesus character.

- Michael Shannon: His performance in Take Shelter is the best in well over a decade, IMO.

- James Gandolfini: Don't care if people praised him when he died, his Tony Soprano is the best TV performance in history, IMO.

- Tina Fey: Whatever praise she gets is not enough

under appreciated directors:

- Martin McDonagh: In Bruges is a masterpiece of its genre

- Steve McQueen: Arguably the best director on the planet

- Jeff Nichols: Mud and Take Shelter. Both amazing.

Considering she received the Mark Twain award at the age of 40 I'm not sure Tina Fey qualifies as underrated. I'd say that's just about right.

Considering she received the Mark Twain award at the age of 40 I'm not sure Tina Fey qualifies as underrated. I'd say that's just about right.

sure, a lot of critics love her work, but her position in pop culture is sorta weird. when i was reading her book a lot of dudes made jokes about it. and did 30 rock get very good ratings at all? seems like she has a weird reputation or something.

Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, GBV all very underrated

GBV? that's the definition of a niche audience band, wouldn't you say?

Archived