The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Alexander Steen Signs 3 Year Extension with Blues

I think St. Louis should have at least waited until the season was over. That way if Steen cools off a bit, they could use that as leverage to bring his cap hit a little lower. I doubt they would have had to have paid more for him seeing as it's only 1 season overall if he does continue his play.

Driving up player salaries again.

StLouis has needed a bonafied goal scorer for a while. I'm not suprised that they decided to lock him up, especailly before the price sky rocketed for a potential 50 goal scorer at UFA. But, yeah... somewhat strange that the veteran winger wholl be 30 in March is only 2 goals and 15 points away from career bests with 49 games to go, after being in the league for 9 years.

Risky also because hes had health issues for extended parts of 5 of his last 7 seasons.

I wonder what a healthy Ryan Kesler will be demanding in a couple seasons?

St.Louis might be gambling here, but honestly, even if he wouldn't have another season as good as this one, i don't think 5.8 is that bad considering the cap is going up by a lot. And c'mon, the guy is on pace for 50 goals this season, and right now sitting on a 2nd place in goals. He might be a one hit wonder, and he might not. If he can continue this play for another 3 years, or even be close to it, he will be a steal at 5.8.

Steen is a good player.

Right now

But his history says otherwise plus injury/concussion issues.

But ask yourselves this. In the off season would you offer Marleau, Moulson, Vanek or even (yuck) Thorton $5.8 million?

I'd offer Moulson $5.2 million for sure in this cap landscape myself

If he manages to score 50 this year, and hit the market as a UFA on July 1st, how much would he have got then?

Well...

- The cap increases as well as the player annual cap. Means bigger contracts.

- Last year Clarkson got 5.25 for 7 years.

- Clarkson had one 30 goal season (not his contract year) and no other season did he top 17 goals.

Conclusion... A hell of a lot more than he just got and for a length that goes into his late 30's. There is always a team willing to bet it wasn't a fluke and would salivate at the thought of a getting a player with such production.

But of course he could just end up like Cheechoo or Boyes.

Archived