The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dan Hamhuis Makes it to Team Canada along with Luongo

Danimal

To every Luongo hater I had debates with this summer that he would return to his elite status. Riveria, Plum,

If it wasn't for players from B.C. and Ontario the Canadian team would be a little sparse.

Yea, thank god B.C. and Ontario aren't part of USA

He deserved it

I agree, but others "deserved" it as well.

Point was, they are making the best "team" over all - not necessarily taking the best player.

Same as taking Kunitz instead of Giroux - Kunitz and Crosby play well together.

Does anyone else remember King of the BS insisting that Phaneuf was a top 5 defenseman in the NHL and Hamhuis was barely top 30? Haha! Olympic roster sure showed him!

Good goin Dan!! Representing the Bulkley Valley deep in hostile territory!

Yes, I remember that, and there are still some lingerers around here trying to maintain the same.

In the words of Hartnell: "Suck it Phaneuf!"

Had little doubt that the likes of Yzerman would get it right though.

Vlasic is much better than people give him credit for.

He's a great defensive d man arguably as good as Hamhuis.

Doughty quickly became Keith's go to guy last Olympics with Seabrook getting the rare shift.

Vlasic is certainly good (I don't disagree with you) - but I don't think he's quite earned it yet - on the other hand, it's close enough that I don't think it's the significant. Regarding Doughty - he's a guy who would not have made my roster either - I'd take Seabrook over him as well (despite the surface) - imo Doughty is one of the more over-rated whiners around.

Hamhuis can thank Tortella for the 30 mins of ice time he's been getting and his Olympic spot (although credit to him, he makes the best of that 30 mins).

I don't think Hamhuis needs to credit anyone. The opposite can also be said - if his making Team Canada was in doubt earlier in the season, part of that had to do with Tortorella under-utiltizing / misusing him. Hamhuis has consistently had outstanding underlying numbers, has been very productive for a shutdown defenseman (has put himself in a class with Chara in terms of underlying numbers, situational use and +/- over the past number of years) - I think in the end and overall, he was a no-brainer to make Team Canada.

Now is not the time...

There always has to be one of these guys lirking around somewhere in these threads. He can't simply be happy for Hamhuis but overwhelmingly adds credence to the old adage, "no one knows how stupid you are until you open your mouth."

I choose #2 from my signature to describe this guy.

Hamhuis can thank Tortella for the 30 mins of ice time he's been getting and his Olympic spot (although credit to him, he makes the best of that 30 mins).

Torts recognized talent and has faith in Hamhuis or he would not give him thirty minutes a game. His ability to handle the responsibility has a lot more to do with it. He needs to thank no one.

Not only that, but he has 2 games left of his suspension from the hit on Staal left to serve and they still took him. They could have easily put Hedman in with the year he's having, so it does speak to Edler's value despite all the armchair GM's/coaches here slagging Edler as our worst defenceman.

Absolutely. Hammer is not the guy we want to move if we still want to make a push, especially with him being from BC and having an NTC he got from signing with us as a free agent and being a big part of our team since that time.

Luongo on the other hand might still like a change and teams could well have changed their opinion of his contract considering the other contracts top goalies are getting now. If Luongo wants to stay, I'm fine with it, but if he still would consider it and we can get a solid enough vet to help Lack then lets find out what we can get in return.

Then you're forcing another of the right handed D to switch (and pushing them further down the depth chart). I get that chemistry plays a part, but if the other right side choices are better (and I think they are for the international game) then you have to consider what it'll do for those players.

Nice to see Hammer finally getting the respect he has earned. Leave it to Babs and Yzerman to know it.

As far as the blueline is concerned, it's hard to go wrong with the list of candidates - as long as the Pylon wasn't lobbied by Toronto onto the team, I think Team Canada is fine of the backend. That being said though, my personal preference would be to forego being too concerned about lefty/righty under the circumstances - particularly on the huge ice I'm not quite as sure the pinch and crunch at the blueline is as vital as on NHL ice, but regardless, I'm not going to protest the decisions at all - I'd just personally have preferred"

Hamhuis Weber

Keith Seabrook

Subban Pietrangelo

Doughty imo comes in behind Phaneuf as the most over-rated Canadian blueliner. He's the guy that most people considere a lock that I'd have left off the team.

I'm not all that sold on Bouwmeester either, but he's certainly got the tools for the large ice - he does a lot of things well - skates well, positionally sound, moves the puck, has a heavy shot - can't argue with taking him.

Archived