The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dan Hamhuis Makes it to Team Canada along with Luongo

Danimal

Beauty! Big congrats to Hamhuis.

His value is sky high right now... I wouldn't mind trading him for a more physical defenseman right now. Easier said than done obviously. Can't even think of one we could get.

Hope Keith has a career ending concussion and Hamhuis steps in. Preferably from an elbow from Daniel. I know I'm dreaming though.

I wouldn't mind trading you for a knife to the head, at least then I don't have to read your garbage anymore. Am I right?

Cause Nash is probably one of the best players on the league playing on on of the worst teams and playing under AV.

People had beef with Nash making it in 2010 and he was the best player in the 2010 Olympics.

Fair enough, I should have elaborated my post. How does Nash make it over St. Luis. Nash is great on international ice, I do get that.

I'm disappointed they left Seabrook off that team - I certainly would have taken him over Vlasic (or Bouwmeester) regardless of being a right side guy - obvious partner for Keith.

Fair question; who is better > Seabrook or Subban?

Secondary consideration, and a bit surprising to me; they took, Kieth, Pietrangelo and Subban as offensively minded / puck mobility guys. Sounds like Letang was not even in the mix? Dropping Subban leaves the team a little challenged moving the puck.

(Seabrook can score, but make no mistake Kieth is who moves it on that pair).

Bottom line, I personally like Seabrook better. But considering the make up of the team (Weber will play with Kieth???, the left side guys behind Kieth are all D first guys...) I would have selected Subban as well.

Dealing Hamhuis would be extremely easy - a whole lot of teams would line up to take a top pairing, Team Canada defenseman making 4.6 million off Gillis' hands, and I'm sure many of them would be willing to offer a 'more physical' guy in return.

I suspect and hope Gillis would be as uninterested in moving Hamhuis as I would be.

Luongo is the guy to be shopping right now.

We had some fun with this the other day, but I do not recall the conclusion.

Campbell and Thomas +, for Lou and Edler? :bigblush:

Fair question; who is better > Seabrook or Subban?

Secondary consideration, and a bit surprising to me; they took, Kieth, Pietrangelo and Subban as offensively minded / puck mobility guys. Sounds like Letang was not even in the mix? Dropping Subban leaves the team a little challenged moving the puck.

(Seabrook can score, but make no mistake Kieth is who moves it on that pair).

Bottom line, I personally like Seabrook better. But considering the make up of the team (Weber will play with Kieth???, the left side guys behind Kieth are all D first guys...) I would have selected Subban as well.

We had some fun with this the other day, but I do not recall the conclusion.

Campbell and Thomas +, for Lou and Edler? :bigblush:

I'm not surprised Letang wasn't taken - I think Yzerman was one of the premier two way players, perhaps in NHL history - I'm not surprised he knows and values that so strongly.

I would have dumped Doughty personally, and taken Seabrook, Weber, Pietrangelo and Subban.

As for the Luo proposal, that is hurting my eyes. :lol:

Regarding Doughty - he's a guy who would not have made my roster either.

Forget the whining. The guy competes his arse off, and wins everywhere he goes.

If Doughty was a Canuck he would likely finish his career as the top D men in our history.

FFS at 24 he is a world championship away from some of Niedermeyer's feats. Not that missing that gold was his fault, played in that tourney at 18 and scored 7 points in 9 games for a silver. He already has a World U18, WJC (top tourney defensive player) and Olympic Golds, Stanley Cup, Norris nomination. And clutch, he was very good in the Olympic tourney, and Stanley Cup runs...

Could very well be on his way to a HHOF career.

If Doughty was a Canuck he would likely finish his career as the top D men in our history.

FFS at 24 he is a world championship away from some of Niedermeyer's feats. Not that missing that gold was his fault, played in that tourney at 18 and scored 7 points in 9 games for a silver. He already has a World U18, WJC (top tourney defensive player) and Olympic Golds, Stanley Cup, Norris nomination. And clutch, he was very good in the Olympic tourney, and Stanley Cup runs...

I agree. I think maybe some people around here have their LA King hating glasses on...

Not a word of that convinces me that he's not over-rated. You haven't said a single word about his game there - simply that he's played on teams that have won, and has had a nomination that imo he hadn't earned. He's essentially a 40 point defenseman with one season that was an aberration. His underlying numbers haven't been that impressive. He plays on an exceptionally strong blueline where there have always been multiple very capable shutdown guys. The higher end forwards he plays with are certainly not holding back his production. Is he as good without the puck as the 40 pt blueliners on the Canucks? A couple of them, maybe, a couple of them, no. I'm not saying he sucks - I'm saying he's over-rated. When you look at his actual production or situational play, it's not really very impressive. I'm not a fan of the guy, that's for sure, but that's not why I don't find him anywhere near as good as the hype would suggest.

I agree. I think maybe some people around here have their LA King hating glasses on...

I'm not a King hater - that has absolutely nothing to do with this - in fact the only thing I really don't like about the Kings is the fact that they play in place where there's no there there.

Not a word of that convinces me that he's not over-rated. You haven't said a single word about his game there - simply that he's played on teams that have won, and has had a nomination that imo he hadn't earned. He's essentially a 40 point defenseman with one season that was an aberration. His underlying numbers haven't been that impressive. He plays on an exceptionally strong blueline where there have always been multiple very capable shutdown guys. The higher end forwards he plays with are certainly not holding back his production. Is he as good without the puck as the 40 pt blueliners on the Canucks? A couple of them, maybe, a couple of them, no. I'm not saying he sucks - I'm saying he's over-rated. When you look at his actual production or situational play, it's not really very impressive. I'm not a fan of the guy, that's for sure, but that's not why I don't find him anywhere near as good as the hype would suggest.

Meh; gotta watch the games to determine how the stats are generated. Underlying, or above the table.

Doughty scores 40 points on one of the most conservative offensive teams in recent history. He is the one guy with a green light to dangle, dish and break games open. As such, he'll take risks and make some mistakes. Which implicated underlying numbers. I watched him in the play off's, and at the Olympics. He undressed guys regularly and made things happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bttxWw6KZxo

Cheesy penalty to get a PP, but clutch goal here

Hey, I admire guys who play a straight up game, but a little talent sometimes is also nice...

A couple of bone crunching heights suggest he's not a poofter either.

Meh; gotta watch the games to determine how the stats are generated. Underlying, or above the table.

Doughty scores 40 points on one of the most conservative offensive teams in recent history. He is the one guy with a green light to dangle, dish and break games open. As such, he'll take risks and make some mistakes. Which implicated underlying numbers. I watched him in the play off's, and at the Olympics. He undressed guys regularly and made things happen.

Yeah, I've seen him play Surfer. You can FFS and highlight reel all you want - wouldn't be on my team.

And again, not because he "sucks" or isn't a good hockey player - the simplest way to put it is Weber, Pietrangelo, Seabrook and Subban.

Archived