The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours.

Warhippy

Booth back to Florida lmao. Watch him score 30 goals to :lol: .

If that were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised. He wouldn't be under the microscope that often and he has the skill set to translate to 25-30 goals a season and he would be playing back in the East where scoring is slightly easier.

I will be the first to chime in with a head shake at LeBrun. TSN and Sportsnet both flat out said Gillis was chasing Ott which to me is frigging baffling. Anything more than a 3rd round pick is an over payment for such a rental and re-signing him would only hamper the possibility of seeing Gaunce or Horvat make the team next season.

A top 9 winger? This part is rather frustrating and shoddy reporting. We need a top 6 winger or better yet pin it to a top 3 winger. Guaranteed .75 ppg player but that won't be cheap will it?

Maybe they are saying Canucks are looking for top 9, not that we need top 9. All canuck fans agree we need top 6 winger

If we re-sign him we will have no use or need for Gaunce or Horvat with the big club next season is the issue.

Sedin

Kesler

Santorelli

Richardson

Schroeder

Ott

Redundancy, it was one of the things that kept us from bringing up rookies previously was that we'd rent someone sign someone or trade for someone and our youth would sit in Manitoba, Chicago or Utica. Ott as a rental...I am on the fence about, as a re-signing at his age and at his declining production ya. Our needs are much higher than the bottom 6

I reckon Bert's point is fair.

Gaunce, Horvat etc will have to earn a spot on the team if there is a solid incumbant > the Detroit model.

Horvat appears to be dynamic enough he can do just that, then Ott becomes solid depth. Gaunce projects to a similar, if not as gritty role, albeit with more upside, as Ott. The point he can play in Utica and be brought up for injuries (or performance) is pretty valid.

Of course the key is would Ott be signed at their cap hit, thereby still leaving us the flexibility to hunt for what we really want > a PMD or top line sniper!

burrows.jpg

I think by now we should realize Burrows is the perfect fill in player for the Twins.

But he's not really the actual perfect winger for the Twins. He's still 187 lbs. He's still a 15 or 18 goal scorer who is potentially a 25 or 30 goal scorer with world class play makers.

World class play makers without a world class sniper is sort of wasting the potential in Sedin magic?

And here I thought Kesler's "ceiling" was 3rd line center also and here we are

Guance does not have the skating ability of Kesler...that will hold him back...and Given we have Horvat/Cassels/Schroeder in our system already there is little chance he will overtake those three as they are all better skaters and have just as good or better hockey sense...

Realistically that is his ceiling unless he really finds a way to improve his skating drastically

to buf: Schroeder, dalpe, 3rd pick 2014

to van: ott

not sure if that could get it done but its a start

size, grit and nasty to play against...sounds like a torts kinda player???

sedin-sedins-burrows

Higgins-kesler-kassian

ott-santorelli-Hansen

sestito-Richardson-weise

booth*

sedin-sedins-burrows

Higgins-kesler-kassian

ott-santorelli-Hansen

sestito-Richardson-weise

booth*

Huge overpayment for a rental and the Sabres are already far to deep in C prospects, schroeder is redundant

I don't think we should do a damn thing.

Unless we can pull off a Stojanov for Naslund type trade for someone, trading for Ott, Jagr, Jokinen or any other rental is stupid. We're likely more than a single rental away from a serious cup run unless Luongo decides "Ok I'm winning a cup now" and pulls off a series of 16 shutouts in a row.

Rentals are bad news. I'd rather have the prospects in the cupboard so we can either use them, or trade them for contracted players that we need later.

I will be the first to chime in with a head shake at LeBrun. TSN and Sportsnet both flat out said Gillis was chasing Ott which to me is frigging baffling. Anything more than a 3rd round pick is an over payment for such a rental and re-signing him would only hamper the possibility of seeing Gaunce or Horvat make the team next season.

A top 9 winger? This part is rather frustrating and shoddy reporting. We need a top 6 winger or better yet pin it to a top 3 winger. Guaranteed .75 ppg player but that won't be cheap will it?

This just in Canucks are looking to upgrade their roster. You heard it here first folks.

Guance does not have the skating ability of Kesler...that will hold him back...and Given we have Horvat/Cassels/Schroeder in our system already there is little chance he will overtake those three as they are all better skaters and have just as good or better hockey sense...

Realistically that is his ceiling unless he really finds a way to improve his skating drastically

Selling Gaunce short IMO. No he cannot skate like Kesler. But he's bigger, and one of few who are stronger. See his combine fitness reports from his draft year if you doubt it. Plus he does have hockey poise and skills. Check his play off resume from last year. Note that he has supplanted wonder kid McDavid on Erie's top line for the moment. Plus that he was secured to help the Otters go on a Memorial Cup run.

His ceiling is a Joel Otto type guy in my guestimation.

If you have a timestamp machine, go back and see what he looked like, how he played and you will see what I mean. Key member of Calgary's lone cup as well!

I have a lot more faith Gaunce will become a productive regular NHL player than I do Schroeder as well. Nor has Cassels surpassed him on the depth chart either as promising as he looked in training camp.

sedin-sedins-burrows

Higgins-kesler-kassian

ott-santorelli-Hansen

sestito-Richardson-weise

booth*

Lets look at it this way. I like adding an Ott, if we get a goal scorer and PMD somehow first.

Or if Ott is cheaper than that; maybe help buy us an extra round in the play off's for a 3rd or 4th rounder. That add's roughly $5 mill to the team profit bank.

But rumourville has always said Gillis likes Ott. He tends to go after what he is fixated on...

I'm going to ask a serious question and I only want smart, well thought out answers. Why does everyone think this team needs a top 6 goal scorer come playoff time?

Now before you answer with how I know everyone is going to answer.

-Bos 8 goals in 7 games

-LA 8 goals in 5 games

-SJ 8 goals in 4 games

What reasoning is there that our team doesn't score come playoff time against those teams?

We don't seem to have trouble against CHI, NSH, or even SJ in 2010 so why those teams?

The Penguins only scored 3 goals in 4 games against BOS last year. Do they need to go out and get more scoring?

Now while your thinking of the response try to remember what everyone said was missing on our team in 2010.

I'm going to ask a serious question and I only want more smart, well thought out answers. Why does everyone think this team needs a top 6 goal scorer come playoff time?

Now before you answer with how I know everyone is going to answer.

-Bos 8 goals in 7 games

-LA 8 goals in 5 games

-SJ 8 goals in 4 games

What reasoning is there that our team doesn't score come playoff time against those teams?

We don't seem to have trouble against CHI, NSH, or even SJ in 2010 so why those teams?

The Penguins only scored 3 goals in 4 games against BOS last year. Do they need to go out and get more scoring?

Now while your thinking of the response try to remember what everyone said was missing on our team in 2010.

Honestly that's why I look at Ladd/Wheeler over Kane in Peg deals...They can drive the play and score dirty goals and can push the play/be the physical presence on the ice and its not so 1 dimensional play whereas pure snipers are just that...I don't see Kane in a best of 7 series against Boston, LA, San Jose, Anaheim, etc being the key to winning whereas a Ladd/Wheeler can play Browns style without going all in like we did last night...Way I see it anyway

Honestly that's why I look at Ladd/Wheeler over Kane in Peg deals...They can drive the play and score dirty goals and can push the play/be the physical presence on the ice and its not so 1 dimensional play whereas pure snipers are just that...I don't see Kane in a best of 7 series against Boston, LA, San Jose, Anaheim, etc being the key to winning whereas a Ladd/Wheeler can play Browns style without going all in like we did last night...Way I see it anyway

That's exactly what I was getting at. Sedin's have a tendency of becoming more perimeter type players come playoff time, We need someone with size that can drive the puck to the net and make life hard for a goalie. Not just stop the wristers from the outside with no traffic of fear of rebounds.

As you initially alluded to, rumours are just that on the TSN site. However, if the Canucks are looking to bolster their 3rd line center role without giving up too much, they can look at either Steve Ott or Olli Jokinen.

Between the two, it's a tough one. Jokinen is no longer the 70 point player he was poised to be. However, he is playing "alright" on the Jets, on pace for 50 points.

Steve Ott would not cost as much as Jokinen and would not bring the threat of scoring that Jokinen does. However, he does bring the added muscle and sandpaper that the Canucks could desperately use in the playoffs. The fear in picking up Ott is that the Canucks would like to stay out of the penalty box as much as possible during the playoffs. They have a terrific PK unit, so taking penalties is not as much an issue as last season. However, Ott already draws the attention from refs on a consistent basis, playing for the Canucks surely wouldn't help his cause.

Tough one really. Jokinen can be a no show at the best of times, while Ott has the possibility to rile opposition up to the point where they may feed off of his antics.

If its between Ott and Jokinen its no contest , why would we want Jokinen unless its for a third or fourth rounder.

But.

If Gaunce is a 3rd line C for the future of this team. Why trade him for a guy who most likely walks at seasons end? Then we are just looking for a 3rd line C all over again :picard:

In my initial post I said that I would only trade Gaunce for Ott if we can extend Ott... please read what I said before posting. :picard:

That's exactly what I was getting at. Sedin's have a tendency of becoming more perimeter type players come playoff time, We need someone with size that can drive the puck to the net and make life hard for a goalie. Not just stop the wristers from the outside with no traffic of fear of rebounds.

So you reckon Stamkos, Ovechkin, Malkin, Carter, Giroux etc., the good goal scorers score all their goals on the perimeter? :blink:

I have some news...

They score the same tough goals as Wheeler, but get twice as many cuz they can also score from outside the box.

And can handle the pinner of a pass when they head to the net.

Yes a priority on some skills pls! :emot-parrot:

Archived