The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks want a Center

Canucks need one of these types of guys: Ott, Dubinsky, Ladd. Need guys that can play tough minutes and can play against oppositions to guns. The other route would be to try and pull a blockbuster for guys like E. Kane, Pacioretty but that is extremely unlikely. Look for the nucks to part ways with a Schroeder and pick for an Ott type player. The other wildcard would be to try getting Glencross out of Calgary, he can score 20-25 goals, crash and bang and scrap. Could be a good under the radar top 6 pickup.

I think Canucks want kesler to be the 3rd center going into the playoffs. So my hope is they are targeting a 2ndine center. So either Statsny or Duchesne.

I would have to guess it's Duchesne because Canucks are looking for term.

Just using the major pieces (excluding draft picks and prospects the might be included)

Edler for Duchesne

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Duchesne Santorelli

Hansen Kesler Kassian

Sestito Richardson Booth

At that time I would be okay with Canucks trying to get a (possible) rental in Moulson

Booth, c prospect and a conditional pick 2nd if he resigns (3rd if not)

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Moulson Duchesne Santorelli

Higgins Kesler Kassian

Hansen Richardson Sestito

They arent giving us Duchene or Mackinnon, so... Edler for Stastny? Tanev+ for O'Reilly?

They have lots of right side D in Johnson, Sarich and Barrie so I don't think they'd go after Tanev as much. Edler would make more sense, or a young and improving player in Stanton (who we can't trade after claiming off waivers without first giving the option to any other team that submitted a claim to get him). The question is, would Edler waive to go to their team?

Stastny makes sense as a return for me if we think we can re-sign him at a reasonable rate (i.e. closer to Kesler's). I wouldn't do a 1 for 1 with Edler, since Stastny is a pending UFA, but maybe something like this if Edler would waive:

To Colorado:

Edler

Weise (they have poor right wing depth)

To Vancouver:

Stastny

Duncan Siemens (6'4", 210, LH - physical but only moderate offensive upside)

1st (they're currently 6th in the league, would be late round)

But here's something else to think about: do we want to help a team we could potentially catch in the standings for a playoff spot, especially if the main piece coming back could be a rental? Do we make the decision to still try for this year, but look for deals that give us picks and prospects to build for the future?

Other than that I don't see a lot of options to trade with them. O'Reilly wants to stay, so would likely sign a deal less than the $6.5M qualifying offer they'd have to give him if it got to the summer. No way we get MacKinnon or Landeskog (both of whom I'd absolutely love). Duchene's out of the question too, not many other good options in my opinion.

I think Canucks want kesler to be the 3rd center going into the playoffs. So my hope is they are targeting a 2ndine center. So either Statsny or Duchesne.

I would have to guess it's Duchesne because Canucks are looking for term.

Just using the major pieces (excluding draft picks and prospects the might be included)

Edler for Duchesne

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Duchesne Santorelli

Hansen Kesler Kassian

Sestito Richardson Booth

At that time I would be okay with Canucks trying to get a (possible) rental in Moulson

Booth, c prospect and a conditional pick 2nd if he resigns (3rd if not)

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Moulson Duchesne Santorelli

Higgins Kesler Kassian

Hansen Richardson Sestito

Avs by no means have any interest in moving Duchene.

They also told reports that O'reilly and them will hod off contract talks til the end of the season. Colorado aren't going to give him away easily, and is probably their best two way centermen. Our version of Kesler to them

Avs just recently acquired Talbot from the Flyers - because they need veteran presense, so its very highly unlikely that he is moved unless you offer them something pretty dang good

the odd man out is Paul Statsny. But he is a UFA this summer, so my guess would be that Vancouver is testing the waters on Paul Statsny and see if Colorado can lock him up and than deal.

We already have enough grinders on this team, we honestly do not need another third line center. We need players who will start scoring for us.

They have lots of right side D in Johnson, Sarich and Barrie so I don't think they'd go after Tanev as much. Edler would make more sense, or a young and improving player in Stanton (who we can't trade after claiming off waivers without first giving the option to any other team that submitted a claim to get him). The question is, would Edler waive to go to their team?

Stastny makes sense as a return for me if we think we can re-sign him at a reasonable rate (i.e. closer to Kesler's). I wouldn't do a 1 for 1 with Edler, since Stastny is a pending UFA, but maybe something like this if Edler would waive:

To Colorado:

Edler

To Vancouver:

Stastny

But here's something else to think about: do we want to help a team we could potentially catch in the standings for a playoff spot, especially if the main piece coming back could be a rental? Do we make the decision to still try for this year, but look for deals that give us picks and prospects to build for the future?

Other than that I don't see a lot of options to trade with them. O'Reilly wants to stay, so would likely sign a deal less than the $6.5M qualifying offer they'd have to give him if it got to the summer. No way we get MacKinnon or Landeskog (both of whom I'd absolutely love). Duchene's out of the question too, not many other good options in my opinion.

Edler + Hansen + 3rd

for

O'Reilly + McGinn + Elliott

The only Centermen who would make sense is Maxim Talbot. Mackinnon/Duchene aren't happening(don't even try), and Statsny and O'reilly as well as Mitchell would both be rentals since their contracts run out after this year...and Edler or Tanev wouldn't be traded for a rental.

Talbot is good, but I don't see him helping any of our offensive issues. Maybe he's not meant to, but we're already very good defensively among our current centers so how much really do we need to improve there? He's the same age as Stastny but isn't going to produce like Stastny does and isn't an option to play any top 6 minutes.

I wouldn't trade for him myself.

You're kidding right? 22 years old, 55-65 point scorer. Literally the perfect mentor for Bo-ho-hohoh-hohh-horvat

I take him on this team ANY day!

Very good player, but would you take him at the ~$6.5M qualifying offer we'll have to give him in the summer? He doesn't have any background with us that we'd be guaranteed to sign him for less before we have to qualify him, so that would be a risk for sure to trade for him and get saddled with that.

Edler + Hansen + 3rd

for

O'Reilly + McGinn + Elliott

Meh, I think we overpay.

To Colorado:

Edler

To Vancouver:

Stastny

I would actually switch that up and try for a 1st in 2015 (never know if they miss....MCD) and let them keep Siemens for a 2nd and 3rd this year. Tuch, Virtanen and McKeown are ALL within our draft area and while it doesn't help us as it stands now, that is a solid D, RW and C/W prospect of size and skill that would help this team moving forward. benefit of having a huge and very solid group of players entering Utica all at once.

I do like Siemens though, I just don't know if Edler to Colorado would be the way it falls. Tanev and Hansen seem to be the most logical parts in a trade via NTC coupled or packaged alone or together with prospects Jensen Sauve and or Schroeder and later round picks.

Stastny scares the living **** out of me based on both injury history and his willingness to stay. It would in the event of that trade be giving up Weise and Edler for a pick and a 6-7 D man in Siemens. I just think edler to Det Isles or even Rangers makes more sense in both logical destination and feasible return.

To Colorado: Edler

To Winnipeg: O'Reilly

To Vancouver: Kane

Thats actually a good starting point. Add a few player/prospects/pick here or there and it makes it interesting.

AV's want a top 4 D

Jets want a true 1/2 C

Canucks want scorer with some grit.

Add Ott on deadline.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kesler Kane

Booth Ott Kassian

Sestito Richardson Weise

Size and skill, Hansen and santo seem like the odd men out tho, line up could be juggled around.

I think any deal for O'Reilly would be made with the intention of putting him at 2C and letting Kesler take over as first line RW. Torts has already said that he prefers Kes's game on the wing

Think about it - we get a Kane-esque scoring winger in Kesler, without having to pay the exorbitant price a guy like Kane would demand. Plus, the Avs make a lot more sense as a trading partner (lots of forwards, not a lot of defense).

How about a friggin' scoring winger for the Sedins?

You guys don't need anymore centers.

Why does everyone think the Sedins needs another high end line mate. They are two elite players themselves and elite 1st line players should be able to play with anyone as their line mate. Usually someone who would be a regular 3rd or 2nd liner on any other team gets placed on a line with the elite first line players. Not many teams have 3 elite players all on the same line.

Toews Sharp Bickell

Crosby Kunitz _____whoever they feel at the time

Malkin Neal _____

Hossa Kane Saad (as a rookie last year)

Stamkos St Louis _____

Ovechkin Backstrom Mojo

Seguin Benn ____

Anyone see the trend?

Edler may not have the points but has 69 blocked shots(4th)55 hits(7th)14 giveaways(7th)11 takeaways(13th)28 games played

He is nowhere near as terrible as you claim and is the guy we need on the blueline because he is dependable...despite what his +/- is

People think they're watching him play but they ignore a lot of things he does and/or ignore that other D make the same mistakes if not more. Here's my post from another thread about just what Edler does and how he matches up against some top NHL d-men, some of which people here would love to trade for:

See, this is the issue with how you value Edler. Both Bieksa and Hamhuis (Hamhuis!) have more giveaways per game than Edler. Also, this is his first injury causing him to miss games since back surgery in 2011, so injury prone isn't correct at all. And here's where he ranks on real time stats (all per game to account for differences in games played) against our other D:

• 1.96 hits (1st)
  • 2.46 blocks (1st)
  • 2.61 shots and 0.96 missed (2nd behind Garrison)
  • 0.39 takeaways (2nd behind Hamhuis)
  • 0.11 goals (tied for 1st with Garrison and Tanev)

He plays lots of minutes against tough competition so that we can use guys like Bieksa (our worst defenceman at turnovers by far) in more selective minutes. He was logging the most minutes per game before his injury, although Hamhuis and Bieksa have now passed him in that stat since they have to pick up the slack in his absence.

Edler might be underperforming offensively this year, but he should still be on fairly even value with O'Reilly. Considering they have the same cap hit now, but Edler is locked up for several years while O'Reilly has to be qualified at ~$6.5M for the team that has him to retain his RFA status this summer, that detracts from O'Reilly's value to compensate for Edler's production.

He's still a very good defenceman, you can't just discount him to the point where the rest of the package you originally included should get O'Reilly on it's own.

EDIT: and don't give me the "but you have to watch him play, not just look at stats" crap. I do watch him play and he really isn't worse on turnovers. Bieksa and Garrison have both had fairly recent, really bad turnovers resulting in goals - particularly at or near the end of the game.

EDIT2: Let's look at it in comparison to other NHL defenceman. I pulled up the top 6 defenders in giveaways this year. Here they are in order:

1. Hjalmarsson
  2. Karlsson
  3. Byfuglien
  4. Doughty
  5. Franson
  6. Subban

Some pretty good names there, eh? Would you discount those guys for making "constant mistakes on d"? Karlsson had the famous achilles injury, is he injury prone now to further discount his value? Certainly I've seen a fair amount of proposals wanting Bufyglien, Franson and Subban here, and I'm pretty sure we couldn't lowball any of their teams for the reason's you've so badly discounted Edler.

Edler hits about as much as Byfuglien (more than Hjalmarsson, Karlsson and Subban but less than Doughty and Franson), blocks more than any of them, has more than half as many less giveaways than all of them, and better takeaways than Hjalmarsson, Doughty and Subban.

Edler projects to have a -9 giveaway/takeaway ratio. Compare that to:

• Bieksa -49
  • Hamhuis -12
  • Hjalmarsson -80
  • Karlsson -33
  • Byfuglien -12
  • Doughty -73
  • Franson -37
  • Subban -63

Remind me again why he's so bad defensively? Hits and blocks shots, not too bad on giveaways as well; I just don't see it.

If anyones interested, I have a twitter account were I update up to the minute news from the confirmed sources.

blahblahblah

Would really appreciate it, cheers.

I can retweet stuff too. Or just follow the people you're retweeting. Don't bother us with trying to get twitter followers.

People think they're watching him play but they ignore a lot of things he does and/or ignore that other D make the same mistakes if not more. Here's my post from another thread about just what Edler does and how he matches up against some top NHL d-men, some of which people here would love to trade for:

That's just it...He is to good to let walk for nothing and plays a very important role for us on the backend...He plays defence not forward so points are not as important or a good way to judge his play... He is a key player for us to succeed with and while he does need to get a little more offence going its not the end of the world if he does not put up 40+ points again

Archived