The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Suspended 6 Games

Strombone1

This act is going to get old fast. The fan base seems to be behind Tortorella now but this complete lack of discipline will not keep everyone happy forever. The team has gone off the rails the last three weeks but so many are excited because of aggressive play. I guess change is fun but if the losing continues this new found toughness is going to start to look foolish. And if your coach can't restrain himself how in the heck will the players?

I have never really been a fan of loud, emotional coaches. Fans do tend to love them but the greatest coaches in sports history are mostly calm and collected and don't tolerate lack of discipline. See Bowman, Jackson, Bekichick et all.

I still fail to see how all these antics motivate a team or even why a team needs to be motivated. Especially a veteran team like the Canucks. And let's be honest. All these antics by the team as of late haven't really led to inspired play. They laid an egg after the LA game and haven't played great since then. They played a pretty even game against the Flames. There was no huge motivation after Torts antics "sticking up for the team".

Guys guys.

For those upset, you need to see this could have been worse. And by not fining Torts, but fining Hartley instead, NHL showed they understand why Torts reached that point.

They simply punished his actions of borderline attacking someone in what some would call a 'Taboo Zone', in or around an opponent's dressing room. You simply cannot do that, and the NHL HAS to send that message here.

Id also like to remind our Assistant Coach's are former Head Coach's, are both perfectly qualified to fill in.

Expect the team to rally hard for these 6 games.

Torts is suspended without pay. I would call that a fine.

Still just can't buy into the biased treatment theory. Every team feels they get screwed by the refs and league. This comes from the inconsistency and incompetence of the head office not from any targeted plot.

I disagree. Hanzal physically assaulted three players in one game, injuring one, received a useless fine of $5,000. Torts loses his cool for good reason and loses what I'd estimate to be 10-12 times the coin. Santorelli is injured thanks to Hanzal. Is Hartley hurt?

This act is going to get old fast. The fan base seems to be behind Tortorella now but this complete lack of discipline will not keep everyone happy forever. The team has gone off the rails the last three weeks but so many are excited because of aggressive play. I guess change is fun but if the losing continues this new found toughness is going to start to look foolish. And if your coach can't restrain himself how in the heck will the players?

I have never really been a fan of loud, emotional coaches. Fans do tend to love them but the greatest coaches in sports history are mostly calm and collected and don't tolerate lack of discipline. See Bowman, Jackson, Bekichick et all.

I still fail to see how all these antics motivate a team or even why a team needs to be motivated. Especially a veteran team like the Canucks. And let's be honest. All these antics by the team as of late haven't really led to inspired play. They laid an egg after the LA game and haven't played great since then. They played a pretty even game against the Flames. There was no huge motivation after Torts antics "sticking up for the team".

When guys like Horvat, Shinkaruk and Jensen start making the team, do you want the Hartley's of the world thinking they can get away with that crap, or do you want to send a message of, we've been pushed around too long and it's time to fight back? If the Canucks go down this year I'm perfectly fine with them going down swinging, if we want to win anything ever, whether this year, or 5 years from now, we can't get pushed around anymore doing it.

Then why are you still supporting the league by watching their hockey games?

Write a letter to the head office, get a petition going, and get people to sign it.

Crying on an internet forum, does nothing, but make us fans look like whiny brats.

Who said I'm crying? I watch for the same reason people watch and support the WWE. It's entertaining. The NHL crossed the line from sport to sports entertainment a long time ago. Doesn't mean it isn't fun to watch.

People should expect and learned by now that if it's any Canuck disciplinary and or player infraction where Shanaban and Count Bettman are involved to review then it's a guarantee WORST case scenario and extreme hand down verdict even with or without obvious league precedence.

See - Aaron Rome in Finals it was a late hit that cause horton to miss the rest of the playoffs, he deserved something

See - Kassian with Gagner Kassian broke a players jaw with his stick

See - Edler with Hertl Past history and he made contact with Hertl's head

See - Roy go crazy on the bench (no fine) Roy was fined $10,000

See - Calgary's involvement Saturday (not even any comment) There was lots of talk about it, Hartley got fined $25,000

See - reffing against Vancouver post-Auger incident (no NHL action) I don't even know what your expecting

See - Auger's discipline for calling out Burrows and making him 'pay' (no fine/NHL action) No proof can't fine someone on the word of one player, when has there ever been a fine for something similar,

See - Hanzal on 3 Canuck players (minor fine) Booth didn't miss any games, no previous history at least he got fined

See - Keith on Daniel Sedin (was there even a penalty? + no fine/NHL action) He did get a penalty and suspended 5 games.

See - McGrattan's hit on Alberts (no fine/NHL action) I agree something could have happened but 1 or 2 games max

See - Nolan's charge/kneeing on Henrik Sedin (no fine/NHL action) He didn't even hit Henrik why would there be a suspension of even a fine for that, Wiese's slue foot was worse

I could go on...

Archived