The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

Mantha has 97 points in 44 games in the QMJ this year

Definitely think a trade is plausible here

Edler

Hansen

Jensen

Franzen

Mantha

Canucks are 25th overall, draft 2nd, draft Reinhart

Canucks in 2 years

Shinkaruk Kesler Kassian

Horvat Reinhart Mantha

Sedin Sedin Franzen

Santorelli Gaunce Higgins

Richardson Archibald

Garrison Bieksa

Hamhuis Tanev

Stanton Corrado

Weber Diaz

I wish

Mantha has 97 points in 44 games in the QMJ this year

Definitely think a trade is plausible here

Edler

Hansen

Jensen

Franzen

Mantha

Canucks are 25th overall, draft 2nd, draft Reinhart

Canucks in 2 years

Shinkaruk Kesler Kassian

Horvat Reinhart Mantha

Sedin Sedin Franzen

Santorelli Gaunce Higgins

Richardson Archibald

Garrison Bieksa

Hamhuis Tanev

Stanton Corrado

Weber Diaz

First off the cap does not work out. Second why are you throwing jensen in there like he has no value? The guy is in beast mode... hell of a prospect. Third Edler is worth mantha and they are adding a cap dump so why would we add 2 pieces for a cap dump? Makes no sense.

First off the cap does not work out. Second why are you throwing jensen in there like he has no value? The guy is in beast mode... hell of a prospect. Third Edler is worth mantha and they are adding a cap dump so why would we add 2 pieces for a cap dump? Makes no sense.

We'd probably have 12+ million in cap while Shinkurak, Gaunce, Horvat, Reinheart, Mantha on ELC and the cap going up the next 2 years

Edit: you probably meant Detroit's cap. In which case remove Hansen

Because Franzen has some value as a veteran gritty forward especially playing 3rd line minutes, and Edler has had heinous give aways in the past 2 playoff rounds and is currently a minus 23.

Jensen nor Hansen has no room on our team, we definitely overpay with the thought Mantha is a guaranteed 1st line player. But I think Franzen has a lot more to give. We do kind of just give them Jensen, I think Mantha is a bonafied Getzlaf type player though

Both teams roll the dice on the trade, but the pay off is very high is the involved players all perform.

I wouldnt be moving Nick Jensen just yet. As others have mentioned, Tatar is 23, and has spent the majority of 3 full seasons in Grand Rapids. Nyquist is 24, played 3 full years of college puck, spent the majority of 2 seasons in Grand Rapids, while Jurco has made the jump a bit faster with a year and a half in Grand Rapids.

Point here being that Jensen is still just 20 and is a late 1st rounder, meaning like most, he'll need seasoning and time to develop much like the forementioned. especially after an injury set back. Forecast as a sniper with size and speed, and to think that the coaching staff were literally drueling over him two years ago, Im dumbfounded that in-patient fans just want to ship out everyone who is not producing as they expect them to.

He's a good prospect, and most were quite excited about his game untill he left AIK last year, which is a point that Mantha has not gotten to. What if he has some struggles in transitioning to pro? Would you think that Detroit would ship him out because hes clearly a bust?

Name the last Canucks prospect to score 10 goals over 15 games at that level? IMO Jensen projects very much similarly to Thomas Hertl. Streaky scorer with size and speed. Hertls best year in the Czech leage was his 2nd where he scored 18 goals in 38 games, while also being played in an offensive role. Jensen scored 17 goals in his 50 game rookie year against men in a much more defensive league, and with a lesser role on the lowest scoring team in the league.

We have to keep the quality prospects we have, and Jensen is still quality.

Because Franzen has some value as a veteran gritty forward especially playing 3rd line minutes, and Edler has had heinous give aways in the past 2 playoff rounds and is currently a minus 23.

Jensen nor Hansen has no room on our team, we definitely overpay with the thought Mantha is a guaranteed 1st line player. But I think Franzen has a lot more to give. We do kind of just give them Jensen, I think Mantha is a bonafied Getzlaf type player though

Both teams roll the dice on the trade, but the pay off is very high is the involved players all perform.

Lol jensen has no spot on this team? A projected top 6 sniper has no spot on a team that has no top 6 sniper? Have you missed the past 15 games jensen has played In utica? Jensen is the closest prospect to being ready. Him and horvat hence the reason both are still considerd our top prospects.

I wouldnt be moving Nick Jensen just yet. As others have mentioned, Tatar is 23, and has spent the majority of 3 full seasons in Grand Rapids. Nyquist is 24, played 3 full years of college puck, spent the majority of 2 seasons in Grand Rapids, while Jurco has made the jump a bit faster with a year and a half in Grand Rapids.

Point here being that Jensen is still just 20 and is a late 1st rounder, meaning like most, he'll need seasoning and time to develop much like the forementioned. especially after an injury set back. Forecast as a sniper with size and speed, and to think that the coaching staff were literally drueling over him two years ago, Im dumbfounded that in-patient fans just want to ship out everyone who is not producing as they expect them to.

He's a good prospect, and most were quite excited about his game untill he left AIK last year, which is a point that Mantha has not gotten to. What if he has some struggles in transitioning to pro? Would you think that Detroit would ship him out because hes clearly a bust?

Name the last Canucks prospect to score 10 goals over 15 games at that level? IMO Jensen projects very much similarly to Thomas Hertl. Streaky scorer with size and speed. Hertls best year in the Czech leage was his 2nd where he scored 18 goals in 38 games, while also being played in an offensive role. Jensen scored 17 goals in his 50 game rookie year against men in a much more defensive league, and with a lesser role on the lowest scoring team in the league.

Well said.... not too mention jensen has gotten 10 goals in the last 15 games on a crapty ahl team....... do people even pay attention to our prospects or do they just say oh what a bust since they are not in the nhl....... ugh some people.... I fear for how ignorant people will be with shinkaruk cause he is gonna take awhile. Especially with this injury.

Quality like Rodin?, Shirokov, Rai? Patrick white?

Quality like Rodin?, Shirokov, Rai? Patrick white?

well, shirokov and white were drafted by previous management groups, and none of which were picked higher than 53 (Rodin).

do you even look at other teams drafting records? It a friggin crap shoot for the most part. Its always easy to pick on black marks of a person... Thats what dead beat dads do to their kids.... Its easier to make yourself look better, while pointing out the obvoius flaws of an individual.... and of course, you would have made the "right" choice on draft day... right? yeah, sure pal.

IMO, its still far too early to tell the tale of Mike Gillis draft record considering his firts ever draft pick is just 23. Gustav Nyquist is 24 for comparison.

2008 was Mike Gillis' very first draft... ever. He picked up Cody Hodgson.

2009 - Jordan Schroeder is undersized, but imo is showing that he can play in the NHL as a darty two way center, whom still has untapped potential to be developed.

The forementioned Anton Rodin still has upside, and is enjoying success in europe.

Connaughton was used as a trading chip

5th round pick Peter Anderson has been a reliable asset for Utica, and is in development

6th rounder Joe Cannata... still very much in the system

first pick was a 4th rounder making significant strides in colledge, Patrick McNally.

So 3 drafts while the team is performing at a high rate. Significant free agent signings in Samuelsson, Torres, Malhotra, Hamhuis, trading for Ehrhoff, while getting the current core to buy into the hometown discount for the better of the team. It worked.... b2b presidents trophies, a trip to game 7 of the cup finals, and GM of the year award.... (oh yeah, you forgot he won that didnt you)

free agent prospects... Chris Tanev, Eddie Lack, and Joakim Eriksson of late. These are some key future pieces that shouldnt be overlooked.

Jensen, Grenier (last pick 3rd round), Corrado (5th round), Labate, Tommernes, and Blomstrand. thats a solid crop imo.

Brendan Gaunce, and college roundup Ben Hutton (late 4th round and current Hobey Baker consideration), Wes Myron, and Matt Beattie

Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Cassels in the 3rd round. Solid round up. Gambleing on Subban, and solid late round d-men in Cederholm and Liberati.

Not to forget signing leading OHL scorer Dane Fox.

It seems to me that this management group is developing much like prospects do. It can take some time of trial and error before figuring it all out.

The number of players with NHL potential coming out of the last 3 drafts is quite a diverse group, and considering that other than Horvat, all the rest of the 1st rounders are beyond pick 20, and with guys like Cassels, Corrado, Grenier, Hutton McNally, and Subban all coming past round 2, Im not sure why people give our management such a hard time.

To snap up the AAA talent, you have to pick top 5. And thats not happening when your winning presidents trophies and competeing for Stanley Cups.

You shouldnt to really be able to acuratley ascess Gillis' drafting abillity for another 3 years or so imho.

But Im sure you know better.

As if Kesler is going anywhere

why? If the team comes back the way the ended before the break, they will be sellers. If you're going to rebuild, you have to sell something valuable to get the pieces you need to build around. I really don't think MG has the gonads to pull off that trade, but it's the one that makes the most sense to me.

Why trade for older players?

I would make a mega deal to make us younger and can still compete:

NY Islanders make a great trade partner. It's the biggest city in the world and I think with the new arena they moving to and Tavares, some of our players might waive the NTC.

To VAN:

Griffin Reinhart

Ryan Strome

1st rounder 2014

To NYI:

Ryan Kesler

Alex Edler

Eddie Lack

This deal fills many holes for them and they have the cap space to do it. They might even need to add a little. Imagine if we can grab Sam Reinhart with the 1st round pick, our future will be bright and we can be a contender again in as soon as 2 years with all the top prospects.

Horvat, Shinkaruk, Strome, & Reinhart brothers

Why trade for older players?

I would make a mega deal to make us younger and can still compete:

NY Islanders make a great trade partner. It's the biggest city in the world and I think with the new arena they moving to and Tavares, some of our players might waive the NTC.

To VAN:

Griffin Reinhart

Ryan Strome

1st rounder 2014

To NYI:

Ryan Kesler

Alex Edler

Eddie Lack

This deal fills many holes for them and they have the cap space to do it. They might even need to add a little. Imagine if we can grab Sam Reinhart with the 1st round pick, our future will be bright and we can be a contender again in as soon as 2 years with all the top prospects.

Horvat, Shinkaruk, Strome, & Reinhart brothers

This would be awesome, but a deal this big will never go through with mike gillis as one of the GMs.

He is just like edler when it comes to own goals. Hes better PK than Edler. But edler has much more physicality and offensive skill.

I'd rather let go of Hamhuis

More physical than Hamhuis ahahahhaaaaaaa omg? This forum never ceases to amaze me. Dont get me wrong i really like Edler yes he is having a brutal year but Hamhuis game is very well rounded, Edler still has a lot of defensive learning/repairing to do.

Archived