The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Kesler Later. Not Now.

Mimerez

Trade the Edler for an offensive 2C.

And reuinite the cavemanline as third line:

Sestito Kesler Kassian

Seriously, for me this was the most intimidating and wildly entertaining experiment the Canucks have iced in.. a long time.

Third line from HELL.

Kesler shoots the puck more than anything.

Sestito can and does win board battles, as does Kassian.

They can feed Kesler all his 'shoot first center' heart desires.

why are so sure that kesler is going to be molding horvat? In my opinion i dont see kesler as that type of guy to take it upon himself. maybe he is but im sure the coaches and other payers could help horvat just as much.

I agree, Kesler seems more of a "me first" type of person. I mean, he didn't do much to give Hodgson a hand, more I think he tried to bury Hodgson.

Trade the Edler for an offensive 2C.

And reuinite the cavemanline as third line:

Sestito Kesler Kassian

Seriously, for me this was the most intimidating and wildly entertaining experiment the Canucks have iced in.. a long time.

Third line from HELL.

Kesler shoots the puck more than anything.

Sestito can and does win board battles, as does Kassian.

They can feed Kesler all his 'shoot first center' heart desires.

Kesler will not accept a 3rd line role period. And there won't be much feeding cuz no one on this line can make a decent pass.

People are so dumb. If you trade Kesler now, you would have to receive a massive overpayment in order to trade him in his Prime where it'd be a situation where saying no would mean you have no hockey IQ. That however is not likely to happen as seems people aren't valuing Kesler for his worth.

..Players nearing the end of their careers get traded for a lot so proposing similar value for Kesler is plain stupid. And if that's the case for older players trade value, why not keep Kesler for at least 3 more years where he'll give top production and still trade him later on then where you can still receive a significant return? ...but no, parts of cdc just can't grasp that and see it in first the first place tbh yet they can turn around this teams and know everything - lol.

Edit: great post OP +1, totally agree. Kesler is beneificial now and in the future so the only way it'd make sense is to trade him past his prime (age 32/33 onwards). Then you still get a lot of value but it's best for the team and him. Trading away a guy like Kesler would be like shooting yourself in the foot. These types of players don't grow on everyday trees and if you have them, you try keeping this as long as you possibly can.

Put things into perspective, if Canucks aren't a strong playoff team come deadline and some contenders view us as not buyers (either we stay pat or sell), the price a contender looking to push them over the top to get Kesler would be insane! Kesler at that point would be worth his body in gold and multiple teams would offer ridiculous deals to get him and if there is one where a team overpays by a country and the only option is to agree, then you take the deal otherwise, you keep Kes. He is nothing but a great player.

Kesler had 2 goals during the entire month of November, when he was with the Sedins.

When will Canucks fans start to realize that Kesler is not 1st line material?

Claude Giroux didn't score for a month and a half, Kopitar had one goal in October, Iginla also had two goals in November, Marion Hossa and Rick Nash only had three goals in December. Good players don't always score all the time. It happens. Kesler absolutely could be first line material but is better suited for the second line. He is our best all around player and always shows the most heart. Plus he doesn't get paid like most first liners either. Yeah, lets trade him.

You gotta give up something to get something. We've tried surrounding him with support and it just hasn't worked out. Time to move on. Besides he's probably gonna walk as a ufa in 2 years if we don't trade him

Like who? Higgins? Booth? Raymond? Samuellson? Hansen? We have needed a second line winger for Kesler for years and years and MG is intent on not getting real wingers for Kesler. If we trade Kesler, our second line will consist of literally pure 3rd and 4th liners. MG had the option of getting young bonafide wingers trading away Cory and Cody but got nothing we can use right now. Trading Kesler for a second liner would be stupid as Kesler is pretty much the best second liner a team can hope for.

Claude Giroux didn't score for a month and a half, Kopitar had one goal in October, Iginla also had two goals in November, Marion Hossa and Rick Nash only had three goals in December. Good players don't always score all the time. It happens. Kesler absolutely could be first line material but is better suited for the second line. He is our best all around player and always shows the most heart. Plus he doesn't get paid like most first liners either. Yeah, lets trade him.

Kesler doesn't have the same consistency as those guys you mentioned. When the Sedins aren't producing and he's suppose to be the guy who provides secondary scoring, he's nowhere to be found. Plus, more than half of his scoring chances, he doesn't bury them.

Kesler shouldn't be counting on his linemates. If anything, he should be the one making his linemates better. Take Eric Staal for example, he's been playing with 3rd liners for almost his entire career, before Semin and Skinner. Yet, he can still manage to produce offensively, while making others around him better.

Kesler doesn't have the same consistency as those guys you mentioned. When the Sedins aren't producing and he's suppose to be the guy who provides secondary scoring, but he's nowhere to be found. Plus, more than half of his scoring chances, he doesn't bury them.

Those guys all play on lines with talented players. Kesler can't always do it on his own and also makes 1 to 3 million dollars less than those players and brings so much more in other areas of the game. I would like to see his consistency if he were playing on lines with the likes of Kane, Carter, Voracek, Lucic, Krejci etc.

You gotta give up something to get something. We've tried surrounding him with support and it just hasn't worked out. Time to move on. Besides he's probably gonna walk as a ufa in 2 years if we don't trade him

Everything you said in this statement is wrong.

The only thing "wrong" in my statement is suggesting that we should move on cause clearly all your Kesler homer goggles are in full force. At what point do you say enough is enough and try going in a different direction? 10+ years of Kesler and he's only really delivered one solid playoff performance. The guy's had surgery on everything but his ego and isn't able to make his line mates better. It's hard to blame his line mates when he never even passes them the puck. Constantly goes for his lame attempt at splitting the D. And why would he re-sign here in 2 years with the team declining? And even if he did want to re-sign here, I sure as hell don't want him at 7 mil for 7 years.

The only thing "wrong" in my statement is suggesting that we should move on cause clearly all your Kesler homer goggles are in full force. At what point do you say enough is enough and try going in a different direction? 10+ years of Kesler and he's only really delivered one solid playoff performance. The guy's had surgery on everything but his ego and isn't able to make his line mates better. It's hard to blame his line mates when he never even passes them the puck. Constantly goes for his lame attempt at splitting the D. And why would he re-sign here in 2 years with the team declining? And even if he did want to re-sign here, I sure as hell don't want him at 7 mil for 7 years.

Lol you move on with the guys who aren't working out. Kesler is the forward on this team who wears his heart on his sleeve. You want to move on from the only forward who shows emotions? No he's not offensively talented enough to do it all on his own, so you know what the solution would be? Get him a player who can actually keep the puck for more than 2 seconds before losing it.

I'm not sure if you play any team sports at all but when you have a guy on your team who's always losing possession and turnning over the puck/ball, then that guy stops getting passes. How many times do you see Hansen turning the puck over in the offensive zone to have an odd man rush going the other way. Same with ALL the wingers he's been lined up with for the past few years. He's had to play with the "all on me" mentality for so long that he probably forgot what it's like to have a winger worth his salt. But let's see how he does at Sochi playing with Kane and Brown... let's see how much of an offensive threat he can be.

One last thing lol I'm not wearing homer goggles because I don't wanna give away everyone one this team for a glass of warm milk. It's really ironic that you commented about Kesler's ego.

Those guys all play on lines with talented players. Kesler can't always do it on his own and also makes 1 to 3 million dollars less than those players and brings so much more in other areas of the game. I would like to see his consistency if he were playing on lines with the likes of Kane, Carter, Voracek, Lucic, Krejci etc.

Kesler is the type of player who trys to do it on his own. sometimes it works. Some players make players around them better and i dont think kesler is one of those players so what we really need is a guy who can come into that second line role and make kesler an even better player. This is no knock on kesler.

The only way Kesler gets traded is if we miss the playoffs AND we're getting a ridiculous return for him. IMO Kesler needs a winger much more than he needs to be traded. Hindsight/hypothetical here: What if we traded a package that was something like Schneider or Edler, Hodgson, Hansen, 1st, 2nd for Richards and Carter in 2011?

Sedin - Sedin - Carter

_____ - Richards - Kesler

Higgins - Santorelli - Burrows

Sestito - Richardson - Booth

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler/Garrison - Tanev

Stanton - Corrado

Luongo

Lack/Schneider

The beauty of this, is that we'd still have one of Edler or Schneider to trade for a young top six winger, which would in turn, allow Kesler to play a power forward style on the RW. One can dream right?

The only way Kesler gets traded is if we miss the playoffs AND we're getting a ridiculous return for him. IMO Kesler needs a winger much more than he needs to be traded. Hindsight/hypothetical here: What if we traded a package that was something like Schneider or Edler, Hodgson, Hansen, 1st, 2nd for Richards and Carter in 2011?

Sedin - Sedin - Carter

_____ - Richards - Kesler

Higgins - Santorelli - Burrows

Sestito - Richardson - Booth

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler/Garrison - Tanev

Stanton - Corrado

Luongo

Lack/Schneider

The beauty of this, is that we'd still have one of Edler or Schneider to trade for a young top six winger, which would in turn, allow Kesler to play a power forward style on the RW. One can dream right?

salary cap?

not to mention, what package would YOU rather have?

edler/schneider, hodgson, hansen, 1st, 2nd

or

brayden schenn, wayne simmonds, jakub voracek, 1st (lottery pick), 2nd, 3rd.

hmm. toughy.

-15 last two years combined....hell of a "Shut Down" guy.

It be a while since i've seen Kesler "shut down" an opposing player or line. Since moving on the 2nd line with Sundin, Kesler has been transformed into an offensive player who is responsible defensively. When he won the Selke it wasn't because he was the best shutdown guy in the league. He was just so dominant offensively that year that his +/- skyrocketed along with his production.

Datsyuk won so many Selke because he was dominant offensively (and responsible defensively) and not because he was shutting down opposition. Whenever he was on the ice he would be so dominant offensively that resulted in other teams being unable to play offense against Datsyuk.

Nowadays Kesler seems to be trying to do everything himself offensively (because he has no decent winger to play with) and that prevent him to playing that shutdown role or keeping the opposition out of our zone by being an offensive threat.

Archived