The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your post seems to wander about. You are saying Ehlers would never make it ? He is an inch shorter than MacKinnon and just as fast if not faster.

Or are you saying if he is drafted by the Canucks he would be pasted into the ice but be a star on any other team because of rigged officiating?

I am referring to the games we play in our division where we get pasted regularly by the California teams without any sort of penalization. Or against Phoenix where one player injures (intentionally?) 3 of our guys and gets a meager fine for doing it.

MAcDavid has all that hype and with the Fox/Gaunce connection and his obvious skill set it would be almost impossible to pass on him

I am not saying do NOT draft ehlers I am simply saying we have others we could draft that could step in to our line up much much faster

I am referring to the games we play in our division where we get pasted regularly by the California teams without any sort of penalization. Or against Phoenix where one player injures (intentionally?) 3 of our guys and gets a meager fine for doing it.

MAcDavid has all that hype and with the Fox/Gaunce connection and his obvious skill set it would be almost impossible to pass on him

I am not saying do NOT draft ehlers I am simply saying we have others we could draft that could step in to our line up much much faster

This is a 2014 entry draft thread not 2015

This is a 2014 entry draft thread not 2015

If you keep pace you'd see I am responding to a reference to a height/size comparison to MacDavid vs Ehlers.

My only issue with Ehlers is that his size dictates he will not be in the line up for a minimum of 3 years. Our highest natural draft pick since the Sedins and we won't see him in the line up until at least 2017.

Again there are others like Draistl/Dal Colle/Ritchie/Reinhart/Ekblad who could all step in to the line up based on size alone next season where as smaller guys like Ehlers, Bennett and even next year (should we get him somehow) MacDavid would all need a minimum of 1 year to 3+ years in development to be able to insure they've a size or at least modicum of experience playing against larger players or at least fully grown men.

If you keep pace you'd see I am responding to a reference to a height/size comparison to MacDavid vs Ehlers.

My only issue with Ehlers is that his size dictates he will not be in the line up for a minimum of 3 years. Our highest natural draft pick since the Sedins and we won't see him in the line up until at least 2017.

Again there are others like Draistl/Dal Colle/Ritchie/Reinhart/Ekblad who could all step in to the line up based on size alone next season where as smaller guys like Ehlers, Bennett and even next year (should we get him somehow) MacDavid would all need a minimum of 1 year to 3+ years in development to be able to insure they've a size or at least modicum of experience playing against larger players or at least fully grown men.

This doesn't bother me too much personally. I mean realistically we're not a contender right now, we're not winning, so for me it doesn't really matter how many years it will take for Ehlers to develop. As long as he pans out. I don't get the feeling that we're wasting anyones prime years right now, that we have to come back strong fast. I just want us to come back strong, even if i'd have to wait for 3 years.

Ooooh im sorry, yea i didnt know what you meant, that makes sense, why draft ehlers and have him in 2017 when you can have kapenen/ritchie in 2014/2015 :bored:

Ritchie will not be ready next season, I guarantee.

He's a project player like Kassian was. He'll likely need a few more years till he's ready.

Kapanen could surprise.

He's a project player like Kassian was. He'll likely need a few more years till he's ready.

Kapanen could surprise.

I am a lot less sure of that than you are.

Ready for a top 6 role? Probably not. Ready to play against men? Probably. Ready to apprentice as a 4th liner? Maybe.

It's always best to be more patient than not but I think you severely underrate this player.

Kapanen could surprise.

I wouldn't put no Guarantees on that, Robert. I doubt Andrew Shaw was anything but a major project before he stepped in right after he was drafted.

If we did draft Ritchie I want to season the crap outta him though haha the upside is huuuuge.

Ritchie Horvat Kassian

I wouldn't put no Guarantees on that, Robert. I doubt Andrew Shaw was anything but a major project before he stepped in right after he was drafted.

If we did draft Ritchie I want to season the crap outta him though haha the upside is huuuuge.

Ritchie Horvat Kassian

Shaw was almost 20 when he was drafted by the Hawks. Almost 21 by the time he played for them.

Big difference between that and an 18 year old.

All people see is him dominating against 17 and 18 year olds, and don't realize it's a big step up between that and playing that game in the NHL. Just ask guys like Kassian or Connolly. He's probably going to have to work on getting faster on his skates like most young power forwards, because you can't coast around in the NHL as much as in junior.

Shaw was almost 20 when he was drafted by the Hawks. Almost 21 by the time he played for them.

Big difference between that and an 18 year old.

All people see is him dominating against 17 and 18 year olds, and don't realize it's a big step up between that and playing that game in the NHL. Just ask guys like Kassian or Connolly. He's probably going to have to work on getting faster on his skates like most young power forwards, because you can't coast around in the NHL as much as in junior.

Wrong.

Huh? MacDavid needing three years? No. He'll be playing his first year on his NHL team without doubt. He is the same size as Nathan Mackinnon and he made the Avs. MacDavid is a lot better of a player too. Expect him playing. Hopefully the Canucks drop off enough to draft him.

Some sites have Ehlers listed at 183 if that's the case I think picking him7th-9th would be acceptable.

He has too much skill to be ineffective, And Jensen is a fellow Denmark

I dont think Ehler's weight at 162 is terrible either. Just means he has to put on some weight and muscle to do so.

Teuvo Teravainen from many scouting reports weighed between 157-165 and now on eliteprospects.com has him at 176lbs as others have him shy under 170lbs. Ehlers is very much in the same shoes as Teravainen, as his size and lack strength will see him drop in the draft despite being so skilled. Would love to see the Canucks grab him, i think he is the "X" factor in the draft.

I wonder if Linden will go for a character guy like McCann now?

Or maybe he will see the potential in Ehlers and make the decision to move that way.

At least we know Linden will want character guys on the team, and I have more confidence in him choosing someone with the right stuff, especially a skill player cause he will know the type of attitude it takes having played with some of the best skill players in his career.

Archived