The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-nhl-mock-draft-playoffs-edition/

Have you guys seen this? They predict us taking Dal Colle at six. :bigblush:

The irony of Ehlers going 5th and us drafting Dal Colle would be absolutely gourmet.

I donno about a rebuild if that pick happens though

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Dal Colle Kesler Kassian

Burrows Horvat Higgins

Matthias Santorelli Richardson

Hansen Sestito

not bad

The irony of Ehlers going 5th and us drafting Dal Colle would be absolutely gourmet.

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Dal Colle Kesler Kassian

Burrows Horvat Higgins

Hansen Sestito

not bad

you think getting dal colle will save us from a rebuild next year lol. besides i havn't heard or read a lot that says dal colle is ready for the nhl next year. he will most likely get sent back to oshawa

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Dal Colle Kesler Kassian

Burrows Horvat Higgins

Hansen Sestito

not bad

I actually really like that lineup. The 3rd and 4th line are great. If Jensen takes takes the next step and the Sedins have a comeback year so we actually have a top line then with a half decent 2nd line and good depth it's a good lineup.

That said Dal Colle is too skinny still to be effective at the NHL level IF he falls to us. That's a BIG if

Just a little something to think about concerning Nick Ritchie at number 6. Already a better skater and more refined than Brett at the same age. Scout Mark Edwards absolutely loves the character and intelligence of the brothers.

From the Hockey's Future top 50.

Brett Ritchie

Talent Score: Prob. of Success: Position: Height: Weight: Team:

7.5 C RW 6-3 209 LBS. DALLAS STARSBrett Ritchie can be a handful and has proven as much this season with the Texas Stars of the AHL. He is already adept at using his size to shield defenders from the puck or put up points while taking a beating around the net. The 20-year-old rookie has provided a steady source of secondary scoring for Texas, displaying the ability to create space for his linemates while getting many looks of his own. Continuing to develop his consistency and the details of his game will be key, but Ritchie has the size, speed, and skill to develop into a top-six power forward. He could even see an opportunity in a top-nine complementary role sooner rather than later.

Im with you. Except if we take Nylander at 6th, and Ritchie, Ehlers and Virtanen are all still on the board, I wouldnt be doing cartwheels.

The thing is if our scouts choose Nylander or whoever at 6th, zero people on this board should be upset. These scouts actually watch these kids play in person, not just 1 or two games but multiple times over the last few years. They don't just read stats and scouting reports from the "local" writer, they go and talk to the coaching staff and write their own reports based on what they witnessed themselves.

Unless anyone on this board is a pro scout and getting a salary for their scouting knowledge than there is zero reason for us

amateurs to be upset, unless they go way off the board to what other professionals are saying (like the Jankowski pick). I'd say it's pretty clear to who we can narrow down as possible picks at number 6 (Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen, and I'd even throw Kapanen in that list). We have zero reason to be upset with who our scouts feel is the best pick. They know better than us.

Did Canucks' scouts truly know better though when they made some fairly obvious and significant drafting mistakes over the course of their franchise's history?

Not pretending I know better, but I seem to recall several people here yelling and screaming about the White over Perron debacle. Hell, even recent picks Horvat over Nichushkin was fairly questionable, even if you love Horvat. The list is immediate draft day questions is extensive, but when the Canucks were winning, people paid attention a bit less. If the Canucks are indeed rebuilding now, and realistiically they are then it's imperative that they start drafting all helluva lot better than they have been.

Hopefully the Linden era represents a fresh start in that regard.

Did Canucks' scouts truly know better though when they made some fairly obvious and significant drafting mistakes over the course of their franchise's history?

Not pretending I know better, but I seem to recall several people here yelling and screaming about the White over Perron debacle. Hell, even recent picks Horvat over Nichushkin was fairly questionable, even if you love Horvat. The list is immediate draft day questions is extensive, but when the Canucks were winning, people paid attention a bit less. If the Canucks are indeed rebuilding now, and realistiically they are then it's imperative that they start drafting all helluva lot better than they have been.

Hopefully the Linden era represents a fresh start in that regard.

It always seems like they know something nobody else knows, but it always turns out that they actually don't

The thing is if our scouts choose Nylander or whoever at 6th, zero people on this board should be upset. These scouts actually watch these kids play in person, not just 1 or two games but multiple times over the last few years. They don't just read stats and scouting reports from the "local" writer, they go and talk to the coaching staff and write their own reports based on what they witnessed themselves.

Unless anyone on this board is a pro scout and getting a salary for their scouting knowledge than there is zero reason for us

amateurs to be upset, unless they go way off the board to what other professionals are saying (like the Jankowski pick). I'd say it's pretty clear to who we can narrow down as possible picks at number 6 (Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen, and I'd even throw Kapanen in that list). We have zero reason to be upset with who our scouts feel is the best pick. They know better than us.

Agreed....As much CDC members pine for a certain player and think they know what's best,it's the scouts that watch entire games of these kids playing...Lets hope the Canuck scouts get it right...

Is the same scouting staff the provided us great picks from the 2007 draft? How many of them played an NHL game?

Why Ron Derlome is still with the canucks is puzzling. Scott Melanby would have made a great scout for us.

Is the same scouting staff the provided us great picks from the 2007 draft? How many of them played an NHL game?

Why Ron Derlome is still with the canucks is puzzling. Scott Melanby would have made a great scout for us.

I believe that Eric Crawford ( Marc's brother) has the executive decision now...not Delorme....

Here's how I think it will play out.

Florida trades #1 to EDM for the Yak plus there 1st

Edm takes Ekblad

Buffalo is high on Leon D and take him #2

Florida wants a goal scoring winger and take Dal Colle because of his all round game

Calgary is left with both Sam's and neither suit there new direction so the opt to take either Ritchie or Virtanen.

NYI are thinking well what do we do now and decide to go with the value pick in Reinhart, could be Bennett though.

Van takes Bennett or Reinhart as one of our future franchisers

Possible changes would be Florida taking Ehlers and then NYI would take Dal Colle most likely as they are set down the middle.

If Buff doesn't take Leon (Sam X instead) then Calgary takes him at 4 in this case NYI probably take Ehlers because they don't need another centre.

Any way I slice it, seems like one of the Sam's will fall to us.

Could be way off, but going off of organizational needs slash media speculation <---(as usual)

Canucks getting Bennet or Reinhart = goood day for Canucks fans.

Shinkaruk Bennet/Reinhart Kassian

Gaunce Horvat Jensen

Fox Pollock? Cassels

Take That Bolonga Sandwich

Archived