The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I find it very hard to believe the Canucks didnt interview Ritchie, especially without a confirming source.

I think a lot for people truly have known barely anything about nylander and have been piece by piece learning more about him, as he had a newer longer better highlight video posted on youtube, he had the stellar U18 tourney and an impressive combine.

CDC members were quick to say negative things based off a few neg articles written on him circulating the net filled in by some manufactured beliefs.

All the people who were bashing Nylander were mostly talking heavy out their rear ends. The soft little weak girly boy comments and the attitude problems etc.

When really as I keep finding more out about him I find him rather impressive, he has bounced around different teams and performed quit well, his skating, vision, puck control, passing and finishing ability all standout, his size is average, his fitness levels are clearly above average. And the fact he has been playing/competing against men is rather impressive.

GMs who interviewed him said they were impressed by his confidence, not turned off or put off, so that meens to me he isnt a cocky young man but confident. For me I sometimes judge this hardly as its hard to judge without seeing it, but based off the way he interviewed from what I saw he looks truly confident and level headed. A confidence level like that a whole team could feed off of and find strength, it is a very important attribute.

I am very interested in Nylander now and I wish I was able to have seen him play full games in sweden! I still feel like I do not know enough, but like I said the more I see, the more I like.

With his and Ehlers stock on the rise, the chances of Bennett, MDC and Leon Draisatil increase!

I find it very hard to believe the Canucks didnt interview Ritchie, especially without a confirming source.

I think a lot for people truly have known barely anything about nylander and have been piece by piece learning more about him, as he had a newer longer better highlight video posted on youtube, he had the stellar U18 tourney and an impressive combine.

CDC members were quick to say negative things based off a few neg articles written on him circulating the net filled in by some manufactured beliefs.

All the people who were bashing Nylander were mostly talking heavy out their rear ends. The soft little weak girly boy comments and the attitude problems etc.

When really as I keep finding more out about him I find him rather impressive, he has bounced around different teams and performed quit well, his skating, vision, puck control, passing and finishing ability all standout, his size is average, his fitness levels are clearly above average. And the fact he has been playing/competing against men is rather impressive.

GMs who interviewed him said they were impressed by his confidence, not turned off or put off, so that meens to me he isnt a cocky young man but confident. For me I sometimes judge this hardly as its hard to judge without seeing it, but based off the way he interviewed from what I saw he looks truly confident and level headed. A confidence level like that a whole team could feed off of and find strength, it is a very important attribute.

I am very interested in Nylander now and I wish I was able to have seen him play full games in sweden! I still feel like I do not know enough, but like I said the more I see, the more I like.

With his and Ehlers stock on the rise, the chances of Bennett, MDC and Leon Draisatil increase!

Can you post the video?

Can you post the video?

I am not sure what it was titled,but someone posted it somewhere in the boards, I just remember seeing it and I replied saying thanks for the video because I had never seen that one before frustrating now that I am looking and still cant find it!

Was a month ago tho, and its hard when there has been so much draft talk chatter throughout the boards, The search button is not a lot of help either..

I was for Ehlers from the begininng, and still would love for us to draft him, but I was always intrigued by Nylander. He was more of a mystery to me. I just didn't really know much about him. At this point I would be estatic with one or the other. I've been hearing that the Edler/Detroit talks are heating up again. If Eddy is willing to waive his NTC to go there I would love for us to get Nyquist in return somehow. Not sure if Edler alone would get it done, but if we did manage to get Nyquist that would be incredible. He would probably be what Ehlers will take a few years to become. So "if" that trade did happen at the draft I would probably take Nylander if he was available.

Nyquist Nylander Jensen could be a deadly line in the future, and Daniel Henrik, Nyquist for the present moment.

Those guys were using hyperbole to make their choice look better. I never saw the point to it but to each their own.

Their rise in stock has made the choice a lot easier. IMHO it will be Drasaitl or Dal Colle.

I was for Ehlers from the begininng, and still would love for us to draft him, but I was always intrigued by Nylander. He was more of a mystery to me. I just didn't really know much about him. At this point I would be estatic with one or the other. I've been hearing that the Edler/Detroit talks are heating up again. If Eddy is willing to waive his NTC to go there I would love for us to get Nyquist in return somehow. Not sure if Edler alone would get it done, but if we did manage to get Nyquist that would be incredible. He would probably be what Ehlers will take a few years to become. So "if" that trade did happen at the draft I would probably take Nylander if he was available.

Nyquist Nylander Jensen could be a deadly line in the future, and Daniel Henrik, Nyquist for the present moment.

IMHO both Ehlers and Nylander will be better than Nyqvist at the peak of their careers.

This entire big team thing is overblown. Boston didn't beat us because they were percieved to be the tougher team, if that's the case why didn't they beat MTL this year?

And aside from Lucic, who in Boston's top 6 is big & tough, Horton maybe, but he was out for the series, do players like Ryder, Recchi, a rookie Tyler Seguin, Dave Krejci, come across as big tough physical players to you? They don't to me. They beat us because of our injures (the key ones I'm referring too happened before the finals), because of the goaltending, and because they were allowed to cross the line.

LA didn't beat NJ cause they wore them down, they beat NJ because they were flat out a better team. And there goalie was lights out.

Boston losing last year doesn't help your theory at all, look who beat them, Conn Smythe winner, 5'10 Patrick Kane & the offensive, uptempo, Chicago Blackhawks. The same team that was a lucky bounce away from being back in the finals and possibly winning.

Way to pain with a broad brush, I haven't really been comparing Ehlers to any of those players aside from bringing up the Gaborik comparisons.

Why do we want to do that?

Where is physicality going to get us? I prefer getting wins rather than moral victories.

Remember that game against LA, we destroyed them physically, but we lost.

Why? We couldn't score. Its been the same problem for years with this team. And when you look at our prospect pool, it doesn't look like it will be any different down the road.

You didn't pwn anyone, and rather than coming up with your own comparisons and then labelling them with others, why don't you actually be fair, and look at the clear, and obvious significant difference in offensive talent level between Nylander/Ehlers & Ritchie/Virtanen.

Just making up things that players are soft when they aren't (Ehlers) is just ignorant and adds nothing to the conversation.

You said what if Ehlers gets shut down against the LA Kings, what if Ritchie pulls a Rick Nash & disappears in the playoffs, why is it that perceived smaller players like Gallagher, Desharnias, Briere, Kane, Parise, Williams, St.Louis, Stepan, Zuccarello, exc. are having more success than some big guys like Nash, Bickell, King, and Pouliot if success & playoff success is just a given with size. Even add perceived softer players like Gaborik, Jokinen, who are doing more. And I'll add to that, some/alot of the perceived smaller guys, are average size, just like Nylander & Ehlers. Not undersized.

Playoffs are more tight checking, there are more focused matchups, Jake Virtanen's offense comes from getting himself in a spot to shoot, and shooting, what if that gets taken away, unlike Nylander & Ehlers, he doesn't have much else in the bag offensively, then he's suddenly useless offensively.

I mean c'mon, whats with the stereotypes, its not about a player being average size, its not about size, anyone can have success in the playoffs if they have the drive, the hockey IQ, the toughness, exc. I definitely think Ehlers does, and Nylander is proving he does aswell.

I have nothing against small players. Most of those players you just named, were drafted not with a 1st round pick and or signed as free agents. (St.Louis Zucerrelo undrafted players) I did mention I am hoping Josh Hosang can be available at 36, (5'11 170lbs tops) It's just that this year at that particular position we are drafting, right now, the big 5 is the big 5, then it's followed by Ritchie, Virtannen vs Ehlers Nylander etc etc. If your asking me, well, lets take the 6'3 power foward. guys like Ehlers Nylander 5'10 5'11 180 lbs offensive wingers come by so very often. It won't actually hurt. and it's not like Ehlers is actually a Patrick Kane. Not a !@#$ in chance.

Boston losing last year doesn't help your theory at all, look who beat them, Conn Smythe winner, 5'10 Patrick Kane & the offensive, uptempo,

Boston still made it to the Stanley cup finals, considered a successful season and 28 other teams will kill to be in the finals. Right now it's all crap shooting, since it's so hard to win the Stanley cup. One can argue the Blackhawks truly did win the Cup last year, I also voted that I hope the Canucks can assemble a team similar to Chicago's style.

In regards to the Patrick Kane comments. Is Nikolah Ehlers Patrik Kane? If he was at that level you and I wouldn't be having this discussion. This thread wouldn't even exist because he be the consensus number 1 pick. Ehlers will not be able to hold a candle to Patrick Kane. Kane was the consensuses number 1 pick. He's not even the consensuses number 6 pick.

what if Ritchie pulls a Rick Nash & disappears in the playoffs,

Of course there's that risk. However I never mentioned anything about Rick Nash, and if he was actually anything like Rick Nash you and I again wouldn't be having this discussion, they don't even play the same way. Ritchie is a physical player who hits fights, and was able to lead his team in scoring, and was extremely clutch in round 1.

The reason why I want us to Draft Ritchie is of his physical play, and his fearless mentality towards the game. He's not afraid to the drop the gloves. Also the chance to draft a 6'2.5 225 pound player who hits non stop, can fight has a deadly wrist shot can run a powerplay and play offence is a very rare occasion vs drafting 6'0 offensive speed skating wingers. That's one of my main reasons why I rather have Ritchie then a player as redundant as a guy like Nikaloh Ehlers. I've already mentioned this already.

It includes players that didn't even attend the combine, and says they are unofficial in the description.

Might be right might be wrong.

I think for any players that didn't attend it would be old measurements. Comparing the weights of the players that attended to old numbers it seems updated.

I'm not saying that Nylander is the answer, but it's sure going to suck when the Sedin's retire and all we have is a surplus of 2nd line players and no one ready to step in. :unsure:

I can't see Horvat being anything more than a reliable 2nd line center (maybe on the first with the right linemates, but he wouldn't drive the line), Jensen is looking like a 2nd liner at best, Shinkaruk just missed a year with injuries so his development is up in the air, and Gaunce will probably be lucky to not be stuck in a third line Malholtra type role.

Having depth is great, but our two superstars are on the back end of their career and we have no prospects with any real first line potential.

Although this probably isn't going to be the draft where we find one, unless we trade up. We're going to end up with a good prospect regardless, and hopefully one turns into a great prospect.

I like you.

IMHO both Ehlers and Nylander will be better than Nyqvist at the peak of their careers.

yeah but this was also your humble opinion

If Torts was fired tomorrow he would still be the third best coach in our history.

1) Pat Quinn

2) AV

3) Torts

4) Crawford

If he can get the Canucks to the western conference finals I put him ahead of AV.

sooo ...

Archived