The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have had a similar feeling. I really don't know if he will translate over. He's either going to be amazing and I look silly or he just doesn't live up too it. I have a similar feeling for Reinhart too but who ambi to say. I like the story of an under dog. Ekbkad looks like high end material though. Looks like he's 25 and is super mature. Dal colle I think will be really good too. I think this class has a ton of top 6-9 potential in the top 15. Guess will see I have my reservations about both SAMs but it's just a gut feeling. I haven't seen nearly enough to comment any more. Just a feeling

Its not a popular prediction to make. It takes guts. A lot of childish internet tough guys get a free shot at you when you step out on a limb like this.

For me , Bennett had a year that wasn't as good as Ehlers. However, scouts have seen the guy play for years, and view his two way game to be a huge bonus whereas they have not seem Ehlers before nor is Halifax the hotbed for media.

The thing about Bennett for me is his unruly penalties. His almost impatient response to things when they dont go his way. Those are red flags to me. He had 118 penalty minutes and I dont believe one of them was for a fight. To me that is a serious red flag.

So I decided when you put all the pieces together I just didnt see why we would pick him over Nylander or Ehlers. Its a gut feeling based on my experience.

Thing is Getzlaf was supposed to be a top-5 pick that year. But he fell to the Ducks.

Thinking if Leon was deemed worthy to be the next Getzlaf he'd fall to some Bettman project team too.

So you mean that Getzlaf was a projected top5 pick and dropped all the way to Anaheim at 19th? I highly doubt that

Its not a popular prediction to make. It takes guts. A lot of childish internet tough guys get a free shot at you when you step out on a limb like this.

For me , Bennett had a year that wasn't as good as Ehlers. However, scouts have seen the guy play for years, and view his two way game to be a huge bonus whereas they have not seem Ehlers before nor is Halifax the hotbed for media.

The thing about Bennett for me is his unruly penalties. His almost impatient response to things when they dont go his way. Those are red flags to me. He had 118 penalty minutes and I dont believe one of them was for a fight. To me that is a serious red flag.

So I decided when you put all the pieces together I just didnt see why we would pick him over Nylander or Ehlers. Its a gut feeling based on my experience.

I honestly don't mind if people think I'm coo coo. It may be unpopular but it's how I feel. Honesty is important i am by no means an expert but I won't take offense If someone questions or trolls me. I have no stake in the game besides no point bringing my ego into this. Appreciate your original post :)

I honestly don't mind if people think I'm coo coo. It may be unpopular but it's how I feel. Honesty is important i am by no means an expert but I won't take offense If someone questions or trolls me. I have no stake in the game besides no point bringing my ego into this. Appreciate your original post :)

I like your style :)

With less than a month to go before the 2014 NHL draft, it's time for my initial projection for the first round. To be clear, these are not draft rankings; for information on these players (and 70 others), please see my top 100 draft prospects feature, linked above.

The reporting aspect of this mock draft can only go so far after the lottery picks, because at that point, it's much more of a guessing game due to potential trades. There are also an unusual number of front office changes this summer, and it's unclear just how the new general managers around the league will behave.

Unlike the NFL draft -- where position is a much higher priority -- and the MLB draft -- where teams show indications of potential draftees through signing bonus discussions -- the NHL draft is extremely tough to project, as teams consider players for multiple seasons down the line, and aren't as tied in to going for a specific position. While the possibility of trades and lack of fits for certain teams are noted, I obviously cannot be in a position to account for potential trades here. When "best player" is referenced, that is according to the feeling in the scouting industry, and not my personal opinion.

Note that Los Angeles has been given the 29th pick because the Kings are the favorites to win the Stanley Cup finals.

The wild card near the top of this year's draft class is William Nylander. It's possible that he goes in the top five; it's possible he's still on the board after the first 10 picks have been announced.

1. Florida Panthers: Aaron Ekblad, D, Barrie (OHL)

DOB: 2/7/96 | Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 216

This is one of the tougher top overall picks to project in a few years, due to the uncertainty in how Florida values this draft slot. The Panthers are very strong up the middle in young NHLers and prospects, making a pick of Sam Reinhart or Sam Bennett more of a debate in terms of how much their value changes on the wing. Panthers GM Dale Tallon has made it known that he's listening to offers at the least, and may deal down to get a top forward in exchange, with wingers like William Nylander or Michael Dal Colle the target if they move back. If they stick at No. 1, Ekblad is the consensus as the top player through much of the industry, but it's not a sure thing by any means. Florida has good young defensemen, but could use another right-handed shot, especially with Erik Gudbranson's slow development.

2. Buffalo Sabres: Sam Reinhart, C, Kootenay (WHL)

DOB: 11/6/95 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 183

Buffalo has some good centers in its organization -- Cody Hodgson, Tyler Ennis, Zemgus Girgensons and Mikhail Grigorenko -- but given that centers are the most valuable players on the board, an upgrade down the middle is likely imminent for the Sabres. Reinhart would add elite hockey IQ to the organization, with Bennett being the alternative option. I do think that Ekblad remains a real possibility -- even with the Sabres' barren offense -- should Florida opt for another player.

3. Edmonton Oilers: Leon Draisaitl, C, Prince Albert (WHL)

DOB: 10/27/95 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 209

The months-long rumor has linked the Oilers to Draisaitl. I suspect there may be some smoke and mirrors at play, but I still think this is the most likely option, especially if Reinhart goes second. If he and Draisaitl are both available, it's a coin flip.

4. Calgary Flames: Sam Bennett, C, Kingston (OHL)

DOB: 6/20/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 181

If either Reinhart or Bennett gets here, I believe that will be their pick, as my understanding is the organization is taking a "best player available" approach, regardless of the fact they took center Sean Monahan last summer. If both Sams are gone, which is a fair possibility, I think Calgary's pick could be Michael Dal Colle.

5. New York Islanders: Michael Dal Colle, LW, Oshawa (OHL)

DOB: 6/20/96 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 172

The industry has mostly settled around a top-five tier of Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl and Dal Colle in some order. Whichever of those five is left is most likely the player that the Islanders will pick. Given recent picks of centers John Tavares, Ryan Strome and Brock Nelson, an elite winger may be a welcome addition if they combine need and best player.

6. Vancouver Canucks: Nikolaj Ehlers, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)

DOB: 2/14/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 163

A team with a recent change in management is incredibly tough to project, with obvious uncertainties in the air. If things get interesting at the top -- such as a team with a top-five pick selecting Nylander -- I think Vancouver would take Draisaitl or Dal Colle should either slide to the sixth spot. Despite the local ties, I don't think Jake Virtanen is under consideration here.

7. Carolina Hurricanes: Jake Virtanen, RW, Calgary (WHL)

DOB: 8/17/96 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 209

Carolina is starved for talent in its farm system and is another team with a new GM, which makes projections tougher. I think a power forward like Virtanen is the pick here, but could also see one of three highly skilled European wingers in the mix, in Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen or Kevin Fiala.

8. Toronto Maple Leafs: Nick Ritchie, LW, Peterborough (OHL)

DOB: 12/5/95 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 236

This may seem like a lazy projection, with Ritchie being from Ontario and Toronto's identity as liking big, tough players (even though the Leafs have used lottery picks to select or trade for small, elite skill players like Nazem Kadri, Morgan Rielly and Phil Kessel). There's a fit here based on the industry consensus on Ritchie's talent, team need in the system (though not at the NHL level) and what the team likes. Nylander could also be under consideration here, based on new president Brendan Shanahan's preference for skill.

9. Winnipeg Jets: William Nylander, RW, Modo (SHL)

DOB: 5/1/96 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 170

I haven't heard a specific name attached to the Jets, and some may doubt this projection because of the lack of Europeans drafted under GM Kevin Cheveldayoff. But short-term trends aren't very telling, as most teams select the best player available. Nylander is the best player available here, and fits in to an organizational need at wing as well as the organizational emphasis on hockey sense. Fiala could also be a possibility here.

10. Anaheim Ducks (from Ottawa Senators): Kasperi Kapanen, RW, KalPa (Liiga)

DOB: 7/23/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 181

Kapanen isn't a consensus top-tier player within the industry, but there are a number of teams that consider him a clear top-8 prospect. It's been a few years since the Ducks have drafted a winger this high -- although Rickard Rakell may end up on the wing -- and based on talent along with industry consensus this seems like the pick that fits. I imagine if Nylander somehow slides to No. 10, this would be a probable stopping point.

11. Nashville Predators: Jared McCann, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

DOB: 5/3/96 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 174

McCann's stock has been a little up and down based on discussions with sources. I think he can go at 11 based on talent, but he also fits the mold of player Nashville likes, being a good two-way forward. A screaming need for good forwards in the pipeline is another reason this is a fit. If Kapanen drops this far, I could very well see him being the Predators' pick, as well.

12. Phoenix Coyotes: Haydn Fleury, D, Red Deer (WHL)

DOB: 7/8/96 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 198

Brad Treliving was a big part of the draft with Phoenix, and with his leaving to be Calgary's new GM, it's tougher to project their pick. The Coyotes have been known as a team that emphasized a "from the net out" approach, and enriched their forward group the past few years by drafting Max Domi, Henrik Samuelsson and Laurent Dauphin. I could see them adding another top prospect to their system's depth on defense this year.

13. Washington Capitals: Kevin Fiala, LW, HV71 (SHL)

DOB: 7/22/96 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 194

Yet another management change makes yet another pick tough to project, but given that the Capitals' change was in-house, there could still be some stability in drafting philosophy. Washington has typically targeted high-risk, high-reward type players with skill, and Fiala fits that bill. The team needs defensemen at the NHL level, but if they stay this high, and Fleury is gone, there isn't really a defenseman who will meet equal value at this slot.

14. Dallas Stars: David Pastrnak, RW, Sodertalje (SHL)

DOB: 5/25/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 168

During the Stars' regime change last year, they brought over Detroit's assistant GM Jim Nill, who oversaw the draft for the Red Wings as their chief scout. That regime is the type to emphasize puck skills and hockey sense. It's why I would project a highly skilled player like Pastrnak to Dallas, with options like Sonny Milano, Robby Fabbri and Jakub Vrana as potential picks, as well. Given the number of players that could be a fit, I can see Dallas moving down from this pick, too.

15. Detroit Red Wings: Sonny Milano, LW, USNTDP (USHL)

DOB: 5/12/96 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 185

Detroit has a history of trading down and trusting its area scouts to find value, so who knows if the Red Wings will stay at No. 15. But if they do, the dynamic Milano fits the bill for the kind of player they like. While they drafted a left wing in Anthony Mantha last year, Milano is much younger than Mantha, and the Wings aren't exactly known for bringing the kids up to Detroit quickly. Potential alternatives are the same as Dallas'.

16. Columbus Blue Jackets: Brendan Perlini, LW, Niagara (OHL)

DOB: 4/27/95 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 205

There's a consensus within the industry that Perlini is among the top dozen prospects, so it's not a sure thing that he makes it this far. If he does get to No. 16, I imagine he stops here, as he'd be the clear best player available at this point.

17. Philadelphia Flyers: Alex Tuch, RW, USNTDP (USHL)

DOB: 5/10/96 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 216

The last time Philly drafted a winger in the first round was 2007 (James van Riemsdyk), but this could be a match based on system need, and best player available. Philly's best under-22 players are defensemen and centers like Scott Laughton and Sean Couturier. Tuch would provide size, strength and a high level of offensive ability to the organization. There is a management change here, as well, with Paul Holmgren moving aside for new GM Ron Hextall.

18. Minnesota Wild: Robby Fabbri, C, Guelph (OHL)

DOB: 1/22/96 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 165

After picking many defensemen in the first and second round the past few years, Minny is solid in young defenders, but needs a boost in scoring punch in its system. Fabbri brings a lot of skill, hockey IQ and hustle to the pipeline. I could also see this as a spot for Josh Ho-Sang.

19. Tampa Bay Lightning: Ivan Barbashev, C, Moncton (QMJHL)

DOB: 12/14/95 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 181

Some may think this is another lazy projection, because Tampa has picked so many Russians lately, but Barbashev is the best player on merit at this point, and Tampa indeed has shown less hesitance to pick Russians than most NHL teams.

20. San Jose Sharks: Julius Honka, D, Swift Current (WHL)

DOB: 12/3/95 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 174

The Sharks have not exhibited any tells in terms of players they like or who they will be targeting this June. Honka fits as the best player available at this slot, and while they drafted a defenseman in the first round last year in Mirco Mueller, Honka provides the dynamic offensive punch from the blue line that has lacked in their pipeline for many years (although they have been well-stocked with offensive defensemen at the NHL level).

21. St. Louis Blues: Nikita Scherbak, RW, Saskatoon (WHL)

DOB: 12/30/95 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 174

I've heard from some NHL scouts and execs who have Scherbak in the top 15, at times touching the top 10, but the bottom third of the round is a more likely spot for him. Name aside, there are no passport concerns for Scherbak, and he's a very low flight risk; of course, the same was said for the talented Valentin Zykov last summer, and he slid to the Kings in the second round. Even the most committed Russians get dinged sometimes.

22. Pittsburgh Penguins: Dylan Larkin, C, USNTDP (USHL)

DOB: 7/30/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 192

There is no Pittsburgh GM as of this writing, so this is a lot of speculation, but the Penguins' system is dying for some talent up front, and Larkin provides a very good two-way boost to the system. He's the kind of prospect who may be able to fast track to the NHL due to his advanced game and good physical tools to combine with his great skating.

23. Colorado Avalanche: Conner Bleackley, C, Red Deer (WHL)

DOB: 7/2/96 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 194

A recent regime change makes it tough to attribute past trends from Colorado's scouting staff to this projection, but they've typically targeted high-character guys with good hockey sense; Bleackley has big check marks in both departments. He's trended up this season, and would be a good fit in Colorado's structure. Roland McKeown is another possibility for the Avs here.

24. Anaheim Ducks: Roland McKeown, D, Kingston (OHL)

DOB: 1/20/96 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 194

Anaheim has used a few high draft picks on defenders recently, but they've been left-handed shots (Hampus Lindholm and Shea Theodore); fellow youngster Sami Vatanen shoots right. With Kapanen as their first pick of the draft, there isn't really any pressing need in the system, and the Ducks should just pick the best player on their board; in this scenario, that's McKeown.

25. Boston Bruins: Jakub Vrana, LW, Linkoping (SHL)

DOB: 2/28/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 176

Vrana would be the most highly skilled forward Boston has drafted in a few years, as the organization has bolstered its defense and goaltending in the recent drafts. Vrana will need a few years to develop, which fits into the time table for Ryan Spooner and Alex Khokhlachev to make their push into the Bruins' lineup.

26. Montreal Canadiens: Adrian Kempe, LW, Modo (SHL)

DOB: 9/13/96 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 187

The Habs probably need a center the most in their system, but there isn't a center around this spot that fits the talent level for No. 26 overall. Kempe is one of the best skaters in the draft, with some skill and a good power game. I can see Montreal moving this pick if the top 25 picks play out this way.

27. Chicago Blackhawks: Brayden Point, C, Moose Jaw (WHL)

DOB: 3/12/96 | Ht: 5-9 | Wt: 161

What Chicago looks for early in the draft during the Stan Bowman era is clear as day: Skilled forwards. Point has uncertainty within the industry in terms of what level of prospect he is. But in terms of the high-skill, high-hockey IQ players Chicago targets, he fits the mold.

28. Tampa Bay Lightning (from New York Rangers): Josh Ho-Sang, C, Windsor (OHL)

DOB: 1/22/96 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 165

Over the past few years, Tampa Bay has targeted the most talented players available, and Ho-Sang fits the bill of an elite talent who can tantalize with his skill level. If McKeown gets here, he could be the pick, as well.

29. Los Angeles Kings: Nikolai Goldobin, RW, Sarnia (OHL)

DOB: 10/7/95 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 185

The Kings have not drafted a Russian in the first round since 2002 (Denis Grebeshkov), but the organization has not shown it'll be scared by passport. I could see Ho-Sang or Nick Schmaltz as possible selections for the Kings here, too.

30. New Jersey Devils: Anton Karlsson, LW, Frolunda (J20 SuperElit)

DOB: 8/3/96 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 194

The Devils have shown a strict discipline in terms of taking the best player available the past few years, but they simply must take a forward this year, as their system is begging for some scoring help. Karlsson is among a few possibilities here, along with Schmaltz, Brendan Lemieux, Brett Pollock and Eric Cornel.

u might have OCD tendencies

Its the fact that he has the ability to take his team on his back and make the difference. He's not a supporting role player, he's the leader and when he's on a mission nothing will stop him from achieving that. It's why so many people compare his player make up to Jonathan Toews.

To say Ehlers had a better year is just absurd. Why because he put up more points and had a higher plus minus. I guess thats the tell tail sign to why a player is better than another. Phil Kessel had 12 more points and 9 more goals than Toews and zero people would take Kessel over Toews. It's why you can't just use stats and highlights to compare players. You need to watch them and see how they react in game situations and which type of player can control the game... and not to be rude but if you actually watched both of them regularly this year you wouldn't have a single doubt that Bennett is a great hockey player a far better player than Ehlers.

It's also exactly why zero scouts have Bennett ranked below Ehlers. They've all seen them both play and not one of them will agree with what you are stating. Bennett is by far the better player, I will take scouts opinions over some childish internet gut feeling. no offence.

Your the only person in the world crazy enough to pick Ehlers ahead of Bennet

Your the only person in the world crazy enough to pick Bennet ahead of Ehlers.

Yea I'm a big Ehlers fan, but that's just crazy. Seriously underrating Bennett's skill. He's one of the youngest players in this draft and even though he's small, you certainly wouldn't know it by watching him. He's a firecracker plain and simple. When a team gets him on a strength and conditioning program, look out.

Yea I'm a big Ehlers fan, but that's just crazy. Seriously underrating Bennett's skill. He's one of the youngest players in this draft and even though he's small, you certainly wouldn't know it by watching him. He's a firecracker plain and simple. When a team gets him on a strength and conditioning program, look out.

I am not afraid to say what I think. This is a hockey forum. I am taking a stand and going on gut instinct. I pray Bennett does not fall down to 6th so this whole conversation is moot.

I had no idea you were such a big Ehlers fan. Did you vote to take him 6th overall?

Wow... this debate might not even involve Ehlers, or Ritchie anymore.

Leon Drasitl. If the Canucks manage to land him, consider it, an epic victory, of getting a player at Reinhart's level.

On Big bad Leon

"I'd be very excited if the Flames landed him. And I agree, if he gets his skating up to par, he could easily be the best player from this draft."

"Agreed. I think him and Ekblad are the only 'locks' so to speak. Reinhart has a good chance as well I think."

"Me too. He already has an NHL body. In fact, a bigger and stronger one than a lot of other big league guys. His skill is superb and his skating is not that bad to prevent him to play in the NHL."

"

I want the Oilers to draft him over Bennett.... Am I crazy?"
"

His skating will be fine. But he's the type of player who instantly improves a line. He has this indescribable quality of playing better with better players...meaning he plays at a higher level and so do his linemates when they're put together--stick him on a line with two nhl players and im thinking he takes the next step very quickly."

I am not afraid to say what I think. This is a hockey forum. I am taking a stand and going on gut instinct. I pray Bennett does not fall down to 6th so this whole conversation is moot.

I had no idea you were such a big Ehlers fan. Did you vote to take him 6th overall?

Fair enough, I certainly respect your opinion, I just can't comprehend how you came to it.

Well actually, before our draft position was locked in I was hoping we'd draft Nylander. But as I watched the QMJHL playoffs and read more on Ehlers I was pretty high on him. I still have Nylander 6th, and Ehlers 7th, but I would be happy with either or if none of the "top 5" drop. Also a bit disappointed with the lack of information on Ehlers at the combine. No interviews or news whatsoever on him.

Fair enough, I certainly respect your opinion, I just can't comprehend how you came to it.

Well actually, before our draft position was locked in I was hoping we'd draft Nylander. But as I watched the QMJHL playoffs and read more on Ehlers I was pretty high on him. I still have Nylander 6th, and Ehlers 7th, but I would be happy with either or if none of the "top 5" drop. Also a bit disappointed with the lack of information on Ehlers at the combine. No interviews or news whatsoever on him.

I think Nylander will go 5th overall and we will pick Dal Colle. :)

If Bennett is around at 4 I think it's possible Calgary takes Dal Colle , and NYI take Nylander at 5.

There's about a 16% chance we draft Bennett at 6

33% chance it's Dal Colle

25% chance its Draisaitl

10% Nylander

8% Ehlers

8% Virtanen

Based on theoretical math I made up in my head.

Dal Colle has attitude problems, hopefully they came through in the interview.

Source? They say adversity builds character and this kids had his fair share. He's got an autistic sibling and his mother beat cancer. He's extremely grounded and an amazing player. One of the youngest players in the draft and is still growing by all accounts. If he drops we would be extremely fortunate and he'd be a corner stone piece, no doubt.

If Bennett is around at 4 I think it's possible Calgary takes Dal Colle , and NYI take Nylander at 5.

There's about a 16% chance we draft Bennett at 6

33% chance it's Dal Colle

25% chance its Draisaitl

10% Nylander

8% Ehlers

8% Virtanen

Based on theoretical math I made up in my head.

No, calgary will take Bennett over Dal Colle, Dal Colle is not in the flames top four choices.

Baring a trade

FLA- Ekblad

BUF- Bennett

EDM- Reinhart/Draisaitl

CAL - Reinhart/Draisaitl

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/ (click on the "who falls to calgary" interview) (good stuff on Bennett at the 3:47 mark)

NYI - Dal Colle

NYI and FLA are shopping their picks so that could change things. But i'm 99% guaranteeing the top four are set.

If NYI keep their pick, their picking Dal Colle he is a perfect fit for that team.

http://www.islandersinsight.com/2014/05/islanders-draft-options-michael-dal-colle/

If somehow Bennett falls to 6th you will learn to love him im sure.

Archived