The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

We trade Edler, if for nothing else, we have 4 guys making $4.5+M per season and Tanev is going to want in the $3M range. That's a lot for a 5th dman. Because of this, one of the 5 needs to go and Edler likely has the highest return. Depending on what you can fetch for Edler will dictate what you do with Kesler. If Edler gets at #1/2 center or winger to play with Kesler then we keep him. If you getA grade prospects and picks, then you trade Kesler. Personally, I hope for the center/winger.

If you are going to trade Kesler and Edler and who ever else it needs to be done quickly. Maximum value, and the return players will take a bit of time to "gell". This could lead to more losses and an improved lottery pick percentage.

Well I've managed to make the exact same post in2 different threads. Wonder if it's my screw up or the boards

Think I'll blame me.:(

Two scenarios I'd be ok with between now and the draft:

Kesler for Sutter, Pouliot, 1st

Edler for Turris

Lou for Kulikov

Booth for Nabokov

Sedins-Burrows

Higgins-Turris-Schroeder

Kassian-Sutter-Hansen

Sestitio/Lain-Richardson-Dalpe

Hamhuis-Tanev

Garrison-Kulikov

Stanton-Bieksa

Nabokov-Lack

------------------

Kesler for B Schenn, Hagg

Edler for Connolly, Koekkoek

Lou for Matthias, Petrovic, 3rd

4th for Peters

Sedins-Burr

Higgins-Schenn-Kassian

Schroeder-Matthais-Hansen

Booth-Richardson-Dalpe/Sestitio/Lain

Hamhuis-Tanev

Garrison-Diaz

Stanton-Bieksa

Peters-Lack

If Columbus is a possibility, aside from Johansen, a deal with Dubinsky and a prospect (Erixon, Jenner) would be very tempting.

Also been thinking CBJ. By acquiring Kesler, they trump/frustrate so MANY close rivals that it may be the PO-difference. Could we also snag Ryan Murray in a package(say it took Tanev + a 2nd)?

His three years of ELC at 778k could come in pretty handy.

That too.

His competitiveness is off the charts. Aside front the skating prowess, all of the positive things said about Horvat are as great or better with regards to Jenner.

He may not have the best offensive creativity in the world but he's a born leader. You win with players like him. He'll wear a letter at some point in his career, I'd bet on it.

Jenner-Horvat-Kassian would be awful to play against.

So hearing on the Team 1040 that LeBrun is saying the Canucks are demanding a second line centerman around the age of 25 in any Kesler deal.

LeBrun apparently hearing this from team sources around the league.

This is exactly what I was worried about with Gillis, limiting his trade options with very specific and high demands. Why limit our options to only teams that have a 25 year old second line centerman?

Wouldn't Gillis be able to get better and potentially higher quality prospects from teams that would look at Kes as the missing piece of a Stanley Cup run, in which case, why would those teams give up their current younger centerman?

Wouldn't Gillis consider parting with Kes if he could get a future number one stud d-man?

Instead of sitting back and waiting for offers, I would hope that Gillis is proactively trying to find solutions to get some quality young players, including packaging other players (Edler, Garrison, Hansen...), instead of waiting for the best offer.

I realize that it's LeBrun hearing from league sources, but he's pretty well connected so I don't really doubt his info.

If MG managed to pull off something comparable to what (the much-maligned) Scott Howson managed in the Nash deal, I'd be thrilled tbh.

Even without Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon and a 1st... Hard to turn that down.

Liked that deal at the time, absolutely love it in hindsight.

Archived