The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

You make it seem like Higgins and Booth are not capable of being second liners. Both have played top minutes on other teams. So, how are they any different from Samuelsson?

I think Booth played his best hockey in Vancouver, when Kesler isn't his linemate. Coincidence?

Your saying Booth is a second liner? And Kesler is a 3rd line center? I better bow down to your infinite hockey knowledge.

You make it seem like Higgins and Booth are not capable of being second liners. Both have played top minutes on other teams. So, how are they any different from Samuelsson?

I think Booth played his best hockey in Vancouver, when Kesler isn't his linemate. Coincidence?

Looool

Your saying Booth is a second liner? And Kesler is a 3rd line center? I better bow down to your infinite hockey knowledge.

It's not hard to understand what the sentence "1st/2nd winger OR a 3rd line center" means.

He the type of guy who can jump up and down the lineup, but is best suited as the shutdown center (aka 3rd center). He's not a guy who can anchor his own line, because of his lack of ability to use his linemates.

Would a deal of Bennett, Pouliott / Harrington + 1st and maybe a mid tier prospect for Kesler work? If Sutter is needed as a cap dump see if something can be workef out to land both Harrington and Pouliott.

Doubt Pitts goes for that but that definitely helps stock the farm and while 2015 might be a write off 2016 and on the team could be competitive

Would a deal of Bennett, Pouliott / Harrington + 1st and maybe a mid tier prospect for Kesler work? If Sutter is needed as a cap dump see if something can be workef out to land both Harrington and Pouliott.

Doubt Pitts goes for that but that definitely helps stock the farm and while 2015 might be a write off 2016 and on the team could be competitive

Doubt the Penguins would do that? How about the Canucks? If that was the deal we get for Kesler, I wouldnt be all that excited.

Yeah I have no idea, it's interesting though. Got my curiosity piqued.

There was this little excerpt from The Stanchion's piece on Canucks Army this morning, sitting in the press gallery at the St Louis game:

That's interesting. So perhaps it's a longer term issue then? I think Pratt mentioned on the radio the exact same thing Stanchion elaborated to - but wouldn't go into details. I'm nosy by nature, but I'd really like to know what's going on :)

.Tough crowd tonight:

Yeah, Johansen is obviously a the top of the shortlist. But...

Sobotka has some of the best underlying #s on the Blues:

http://www.behindthe...34 45 46 63 67#

60.9% in the faceoff circle - one of, if not the best in the NHL.

25 points (not bad for a 3rd line center), +17,

21 takeaways / 6 giveaways (+15).

Pretty consistent in all those respects over the past three years.

One of the best lesser-known big bang for the bucks in the NHL imo.

$1.3 million RFA.

Schwartz with similarly outstanding underlying numbers.

42 points, +22

45 takeaways, 11 giveaways +34

Great speed, solid two way forward that can play all three positions - very good faceoff guy (56.9%), particularly for a 21 yr old.

Not really that small at 190lbs.

ELC.

Schwartz would make the 2nd line that much more dangerous, and Sobotka would make the 3rd that much more difficult to play against, moving Richardson to the fourth line, while Schwartz would also push another top 9 onto the fourth line. The fourth line all of a sudden is a borderline 3rd. Tortorella would have a hell of a pair of bottom 6 lines to roll and create possession for the top 6.

Look at Sobotka's QoC and zone starts. Richardson gets way tougher comp and welllll below avg d-zone starts (he's getting Malhotra'd). Sobotka isn't an upgrade IMO. If he was a UFA, sure make him an offer as a 4C - but as a piece for a player like Kes - no way. I do think Richardson is a 4C - this team still needs a legitimate 3C.

Ya, agree about Schwartz. Does he play C on the Blues? He's a little guy - makes me a bit nervous in a beastly W. conference. Where'd u hear Blues were interested?

Question is...... By trading Kesler do we make the playoffs this year? And that's gillis throwing in the towel this year? I mean teams aren't going to give us a good centre back since what's the point of them trading for Kesler? So we get worse at centre ice and have no one behind Henrik? So I think your see Kesler not traded and gillis trade Edler for a top 6 winger and hope the playoffs turn out well.

Also if I was gillis I trade Edler for a second line centre. Then trade Kesler for a winger . There you got a brand new second line. Then in free agency get a defencemen. Simple ...

Problem is I feel gillis by wanting a Center back in the Kesler deal is limiting himself and ruining any chance we have at pulling off a good hockey deal.

a couple really important things to note:

1. if this trade goes down you can throw the whole re-tool idea out the window. if Kesler goes it should become full on re-build. you are not going to get a center back in a trade who is as good as Kesler. without Kesler the Canucks are an average team at best. this leads into my second point

2. the Canucks need to go something around the lines of 14-4-3 in the last 21 games to make the playoffs. That is hard enough to do with the team as it is. if Kesler is traded you kiss the playoffs goodbye right now and say hi to a top 10 pick this June

3. some people are starting to get worried or pessimistic about the return the Canucks will get. i think people will be surprised when Canucks bring in the great return that they will get for Kesler. Here is a few reasons why the return will be great:

• he is the best player available right now
  • his contract term and cap hit are extremely attractive
  • there will be a bidding war for him
  • MG holds all the cards here: he is not backed into a corner - Kesler is not demanding a trade, he is not a UFA in the summer, he is under contract for 2 more years

4. Now a lot of you are about to say either

• he is injury prone
  • or he is not the player he once was.

Newsflash, it does not matter for the most part. it is so rare for a player like this to come onto the market, but when they do teams jump at the chance to acquire them. in other words Kesler's upside along the with the large amount of interest from multiple teams will leave little to no room for GM's to complain about his issues.

5. this is both the most important and most simple thing to take away from this situation. IF THE OFFERS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH, THEN MG DOES NOT HAVE TO TRADE HIM. This is not the goalie situation of last year. Kesler is not forcing a trade. He has publically come out to say that he is not asking for a trade and he likes being in Vancouver.

On a personal level I believe that the guy who is Vancouver's #1 target in a Kesler trade would be Ryan Johanson. While the Canucks would probably love to get a package from Columbus that included Johanson, the odds of that happening are low. Johanson is having a breakout year and at this point im not even sure they would go for a one-for-one swap. I would absolutley be thrilled if the canucks made this work somehow

Just heard on the radio here in kamloops so I searched a source

#pens did pitch #Canucks on Kessler before Olympics. Hearing Sutter, Pouliot part of those talks. That was before Letang situation.

@RobRossi_Trib 10 hours ago  

I dont like that proposal at all haha glad it didnt go through.. not sure if posted yet or not

a couple really important things to note:

1. if this trade goes down you can throw the whole re-tool idea out the window. if Kesler goes it should become full on re-build. you are not going to get a center back in a trade who is as good as Kesler. without Kesler the Canucks are an average team at best. this leads into my second point

2. the Canucks need to go something around the lines of 14-4-3 in the last 21 games to make the playoffs. That is hard enough to do with the team as it is. if Kesler is traded you kiss the playoffs goodbye right now and say hi to a top 10 pick this June

3. some people are starting to get worried or pessimistic about the return the Canucks will get. i think people will be surprised when Canucks bring in the great return that they will get for Kesler. Here is a few reasons why the return will be great:

• he is the best player available right now
  • his contract term and cap hit are extremely attractive
  • there will be a bidding war for him
  • MG holds all the cards here: he is not backed into a corner - Kesler is not demanding a trade, he is not a UFA in the summer, he is under contract for 2 more years

4. Now a lot of you are about to say either

• he is injury prone
  • or he is not the player he once was.

Newsflash, it does not matter for the most part. it is so rare for a player like this to come onto the market, but when they do teams jump at the chance to acquire them. in other words Kesler's upside along the with the large amount of interest from multiple teams will leave little to no room for GM's to complain about his issues.

5. this is both the most important and most simple thing to take away from this situation. IF THE OFFERS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH, THEN MG DOES NOT HAVE TO TRADE HIM. This is not the goalie situation of last year. Kesler is not forcing a trade. He has publically come out to say that he is not asking for a trade and he likes being in Vancouver.

On a personal level I believe that the guy who is Vancouver's #1 target in a Kesler trade would be Ryan Johanson. While the Canucks would probably love to get a package from Columbus that included Johanson, the odds of that happening are low. Johanson is having a breakout year and at this point im not even sure they would go for a one-for-one swap. I would absolutley be thrilled if the canucks made this work somehow

would like to hear if this helped clear up some things about the kesler situation to people

Just heard on the radio here in kamloops so I searched a source

#pens did pitch #Canucks on Kessler before Olympics. Hearing Sutter, Pouliot part of those talks. That was before Letang situation.

@RobRossi_Trib 10 hours ago  

I dont like that proposal at all haha glad it didnt go through.. not sure if posted yet or not

No to Sutter, yes to Pouliot and Bennett.

Hopefully Gillis doesn't trade for pix as their scouts aren't the greatest at picking. Blue chip prospects please.

Edler for Mantha

Kesler for Couturier and Simmonds.

Lu ++ for Stewart and Rattie

Yeah everything makes sense. This is the scary fact here. We do need around 96 points to make the playoffs. Especially this year since the West in general has more points than the East.

If we are gonna get a potential 1C return for Kesler it would need to be a top prospect like Drouin. Even if he won't be ready for the next 2 years we have Schroeder and potential UFA's for bandaids solutions. I just don't think we can snatch a young 1C NHL'er from a Cup aspiring buyer like Columbus. And a team like PIttsburg doesn't have much to offer.

Elkund rumors it's down to a 2 team offer:

Philly offering Simmonds, Laughton,a first and a conditional 3rd

Pittsburgh offering bennett, sutter and maatta only if Hansen is added

Edler for Sheahan and Nyquist

Canucks target Callahan and Cammalleri in offseason

Philly deal is there make that conditional 3rd a 2nd I TAKE THAT AND RUN.

Pittsburg im laughing pretty hard. If they think thats gonna get them Kesler they should drop out now.

I dont even want to touch Sutter he can stay in Pitts

Bennett,Maatta,1st,2nd(2015)

(Remember the picks are going to be anywhere from 27-30 which means late picks)

You really think Kesler is worth more now than Richards when he was traded?

Mike Richards' last three seasons with Philadelphia, he had a combine 208 points. while Kesler's last FOUR seasons he had 173 points. Richards was always considered one of the best two-way players, at that time too. Going up against Crosby, Ovechkin, and Zetterberg in the playoffs.

Kesler definitely would have more value than Richards. Before his trade, Richards had really bad rumours about his personal life, party scene etc. (burrows and the snow on a stick incident should help provide context). He was looking to be a great player improving from 75to 80 points but then dropped off his final 2 years in Philly with 62 and 66 points while rumours about his lifestyle outside of hockey swirled. That brought down his value. Kes on the other hand has ALWAYS been committed to winning and doing whatever it takes to win. He doesn't have any black marks when it comes to lifestyle (in public anyways) so yes I would say his value is higher

Archived