The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Have to flip Kesler and Edler for first round picks and hope to dump Bieksa and Burrows as part of the move at the same time. Tank the rest of the season and next season in hopes of getting Jake Virtanen, Haydn Fleury, and Connor McDavid. Then build towards a run in the last season of the Sedins deal. Hope for a final line-up like this by then:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Virtanen-Horvat-Shinkaruk

Gaunce-McDavid-Fox

Higgins-Richardson-Lain

Cassels

Hamhuis-Garrison

Tanev-Fleury

Stanton-Subban

Corrado

Luongo

Lack

With the right seasoning and most of these guys reaching their potential it's a deep playoff run for many years. Long term has to be on the agenda with these trades.

dont mind this deal; but i still have a hard time thinking columbus gives up ryan johansen. not to mention boone jenner as well. i give you credit though, it would take a creative deal like this to get johansen out of columbus

I think it touches on all points rather evenly; they maintain veteran leadership, solidify their T4, get potential youth back and get stronger not just now, but for the next 4-5 years.

Canucks get younger and more skilled, still maintain a decent veteran leadership core.

Let's face it, Gaborik is nearing his end as a premiere sniper in the league, and the Blue Jackets are close to not just making the playoffs again, but aren't far from assembling a good team to make a dent in the playoffs.

While they give up Johansen and Jenner now, they maintain Kesler, Dubinsky, Anisimov and Letestu which isn't anything to sneeze at, while Johansen's value yes is high, I think it's artificially so *right* now. We've seen all too often a young player "break out" yet have a let down subsequently, yet I'm willing to take the risk, given the current state of the team right now.

IMO for the Blue Jacket's fan base, I think they have to make a serious push at making the playoffs and receiving some results and as much as Johansen can be the anchor for that team eventually, I'm not sure they can wait 5 years until he becomes a bonafide star in the league.

Flyers interested in Kesler

No shortage of teams interested in Ryan Kesler and you can add Philadelphia to that list as well. Mind you, the Flyers could be just as interested in defenseman Alexander Edler from the Canucks.

Have to imagine that the Canucks’ asking price in any Kesler deal would start with Brayden Schenn and I’m not sure the Flyers would go there ...

Edler would actually address Philly’s more pressing need, upgrading its blue line. But again, how much does Vancouver want?

Good friend Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review tweeted Thursday night that he believed the Penguins talked to Vancouver about Kesler as well. I wrote Thursday about Detroit and Columbus as obvious fits.

Again, when it comes to Kesler, who has two more years on his deal at a bargain $5 million a year, there is lots of interest.

This is Vancouver’s big chip to play whether it’s now or in June in terms of re-shaping their roster and getting younger, without going into a full-blown rebuild.

Flyers interested in Kesler

No shortage of teams interested in Ryan Kesler and you can add Philadelphia to that list as well. Mind you, the Flyers could be just as interested in defenseman Alexander Edler from the Canucks.

Have to imagine that the Canucks' asking price in any Kesler deal would start with Brayden Schenn and I'm not sure the Flyers would go there ...

Edler would actually address Philly's more pressing need, upgrading its blue line. But again, how much does Vancouver want?

Good friend Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review tweeted Thursday night that he believed the Penguins talked to Vancouver about Kesler as well. I wrote Thursday about Detroit and Columbus as obvious fits.

Again, when it comes to Kesler, who has two more years on his deal at a bargain $5 million a year, there is lots of interest.

This is Vancouver's big chip to play whether it's now or in June in terms of re-shaping their roster and getting younger, without going into a full-blown rebuild.

I actually agree that Philly is probably looking at Edler more than Kes. I think there's probably at least a few quiet contenders for kesler who are keeping their hand close to their chest.....blues and Caps maybe?

Pierre Maguire was on 1040 a few minutes ago and basically stated that teams are drooling over kesler and that the return for the nucks would be huge. He stated that it would be more then what the sabres got for pomminville last year which was 2 grade a prospocts, a first and a second rounder. Pierre stated that mtl, Pittsburgh and one of philly or Detroit are the most interested. Sekeres stated that would a package of tinordi and eller be something nucks could get for kesler, and pierre basically stated not even close that the nucks would get way more. BOOM! let the games begin.

Pierre Maguire was on 1040 a few minutes ago and basically stated that teams are drooling over kesler and that the return for the nucks would be huge. He stated that it would be more then what the sabres got for pomminville last year which was 2 grade a prospocts, a first and a second rounder. Pierre stated that mtl, Pittsburgh and one of philly or Detroit are the most interested. Sekeres stated that would a package of tinordi and eller be something nucks could get for kesler, and pierre basically stated not even close that the nucks would get way more. BOOM! let the games begin.

Yeah...but it's Pierre Macguire...

I actually agree that Philly is probably looking at Edler more than Kes. I think there's probably at least a few quiet contenders for kesler who are keeping their hand close to their chest.....blues and Caps maybe?

PHI fans hate most of their defence, but again they do not want to give up their prized youth for a good but not great (relatively speaking-Imo he can be great when he wants to) D man like Edler. My guess is they would rather dangle a B prospect like Read for Edler. Kesler MIGHT snag one of Schenn or Courturier, but I bet they are extremely hesitant unless they want to make a serious playoff run. More likely that the Eklund rumour of Simmonds, Laughton and a 1st is more likely. I think that works well for the Canucks too now and later. If Edler can snag a roster player C then the Canucks are in a very good position moving forward.

All eyes on you MG....

What about sending Kes to Minnesota for Charlie Coyle, a prospect and a 2015 1st rounder?

Edit: If it's been mentioned since page 29, my apologies. I haven't read the last 8 pages.

I'd go for that. Coyle is already pretty good, and only 21.

I'd go for that. Coyle is already pretty good, and only 21.

Yeah, we'll be needing a RH centre with size if/when Kesler goes. Horvat, Gaunce, Couturier, Schenn... all left handed. Who takes those crucial faceoffs on the right side?

Edit: Phrasing made it seem like handedness was the most important thing I'm looking for but I'm actually looking for a young player that can grow into Kesler's role and Johansen/Coyle are the two guys that come to mind immediately.

He knows his sh!t.

He does and he's right. Kes has a crap ton of value. It's weird how when people start proposing deals, they want weirdly little for some players and way too much for others. Kes is the single biggest trade value for a player on our roster. Only Edler comes close. He would net a huge return. The question is, does the offer match our needs?

I think it touches on all points rather evenly; they maintain veteran leadership, solidify their T4, get potential youth back and get stronger not just now, but for the next 4-5 years.

Canucks get younger and more skilled, still maintain a decent veteran leadership core.

Let's face it, Gaborik is nearing his end as a premiere sniper in the league, and the Blue Jackets are close to not just making the playoffs again, but aren't far from assembling a good team to make a dent in the playoffs.

While they give up Johansen and Jenner now, they maintain Kesler, Dubinsky, Anisimov and Letestu which isn't anything to sneeze at, while Johansen's value yes is high, I think it's artificially so *right* now. We've seen all too often a young player "break out" yet have a let down subsequently, yet I'm willing to take the risk, given the current state of the team right now.

IMO for the Blue Jacket's fan base, I think they have to make a serious push at making the playoffs and receiving some results and as much as Johansen can be the anchor for that team eventually, I'm not sure they can wait 5 years until he becomes a bonafide star in the league.

dont get me wrong. getting johansen is at the top of my wish list for a kes trade. i think your deal is fair as well. but to give up a big 21 year old center who is on pace for 36 goals this season and has franchise potential written all over him. i think it all comes down to how badly they want to make the playoffs now. and you may be right the blue jackets may feel like they owe it to their fans to make the playoffs as soon as possible. thats the only way this deal goes down. i really hope the canucks makes this work though, i would be thrilled to get ryan johansen

Telling you. People that think Kes can't get a big return with the basis being at least 3 assets are high. Richards got

3, Pominville got 4 for crying out loud. Gut feeling is it's either going to be Philly, Columbus, or Pittsburgh in any order. Philly basing around Couturier, Simmonds, 1st. Columbus basing around Jenner & Murray or Johansen + prospect/pick. Pittsburgh basing around Maatta and Bennett/Sutter + pick.

Archived