The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to tank the rest of the season?

JustABandwagoner

Like Edmonton did. You put no supporting players on the team and have the coach put in guys like Ben Eager when the game is on the line in the dying minutes.

A ton of goofy trades would have to happen for this team to get there and you would have to fire Torts who couldn't lose on purpose if he tried.

Let me know when you're gonna run this idea by Aquilini. I need to sufficiently stockpile popcorn for the show.

Before you suggest they tank the season I would remind you how much it costs to go to a game. If you just shelled out $400 plus drinks parking etc to watch the Canucks play, how happy would you be to learn they simply tanked the game?

No one at this years draft will help the canucks next year.

Only way to successfully do what you suggest is trade everyone for young and inexperienced talent ala Oilers. You get minimum three years of awful hockey and erode your fan base with the hopes your picks turn out. This strategy has failed the Oilers so far so im pretty sure not many people would be happy if it were tried here.

Okay let's just pretend you're all of a sudden the Canucks GM and your plan was to tank the rest of the season.

How do you do it?

Do you go up to your coach and tell him to tell his players to lose?

Do you walk in the dressing room unannounced and tell them to lose?

Please enlighten us with your plan on how you would make this happen.

As a GM, I suppose the easiest way to do it would be to start making some of these reported trades. Kesler and Edler come to mind right away, but Burrows, Bieksa and Hamhuis would all be in play as well.

Instead of roster players, you deal for picks and prospects. Not only does that improve your prospect base, it virtually guarantees that the team sinks even further in the standings, putting them in a better draft position (for this year and next year)

That being said, I don't agree with tanking.

Quick question fellas, although off topic, I don't wanna make a thread about it.

The compliance buy outs, did those already expire last summer? If not, how does that work? Does it just have to be a contract that was signed BEFORE the new CBA was agreed to?

Sorry for putting this in a random thread, but didn't think y'all would be happy if I made a thread about it!

Some of you have that loser mentality. Give up way too fast. Go home. Your sorry behinds aren't needed. I mean people who think about purposely stinking. Seriously!? Do you guys not have a backbone..

While I would not use words as strong as yours, I agree with your sentiment 100%. Unless the team offered paying customers their money back it would be inexcusable to purposely tank, and that includes doing it surreptitiously by "just giving the kids a chance etc.". Play hard until the very end, the fans deserve no less.

Quick question fellas, although off topic, I don't wanna make a thread about it.

The compliance buy outs, did those already expire last summer? If not, how does that work? Does it just have to be a contract that was signed BEFORE the new CBA was agreed to?

Sorry for putting this in a random thread, but didn't think y'all would be happy if I made a thread about it!

I think they have one more off-season (this year) to use them, then it's over.

While I would not use words as strong as yours, I agree with your sentiment 100%. Unless the team offered paying customers their money back it would be inexcusable to purposely tank, and that includes doing it surreptitiously by "just giving the kids a chance etc.". Play hard until the very end, the fans deserve no less.

fans deserve squat the team doesn't owe us anything doesn't matter how many jerseys you own games you have been to or money you have spent on watching the team

"Tanking" is not fair to the fans or the players themselves. They could still make the playoffs, and there is no guarantee they get a great draft pick.

Besides, the current crop of Canucks players should have one more goal other than the Cup, and that is showing their fans that they are willing to play hard and work as a team for the rest of the season.

So I guess the LA Kings should have just tanked the season back in 2012 when they were the 8th seed cause everyone thought they would get eliminated in the first round right? We know how that turned out. And if anyone ever quit on one of my teams they would be riding the bench the rest of the way. And if they didn't I would be the player demanding a trade out of that environment.

The only reason I would want the Canucks to tank would be because the NHL would finally put in punitive measures for that kind of cheating.

Any team that tanks for picks is poorly managed and SHOULD be hit punitive measures. I especially like your comment because of how unfortunately true the scenario is. Edmonton and Pittsburgh are Rat teams.

Archived