The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

Sorry if any of this has already been posted. (The forum is so slow I can't see anything!)

From TSN article...

"I was not expecting it," Luongo told reporters shortly after the trade. "Go figure right? I'm happy for myself and my family and a little bit sad to be leaving Vancouver."

"It hurt that I didn't play [the Heritage Classic], but I was ready to play tonight."

"The new ownership there is committed to winning and there's some good young players there. It's a good opportunity for me."

Luongo said he has no hard feelings towards the Canucks looking back over his eight seasons in Vancouver.

"All in all it was a great run. There was a lot of stuff that happened in between but I have nothing but good things to say about the fans that were really supportive especially towards the end. This organization brought my game to another level. It's all positive stuff."

It certainly doesn't seem like he demanded anything, so the people who've been saying that as if it were fact and not their own mean spirited conjecture can just stop.

Let's at least show a little respect to the man who holds most Vancouver Canucks goaltending records!

Just because you overvalue what goalies are getting in return on trades doesn't make this a "fleece" either ;)

Gillis got fair return for a promising but unproven goalie in a crap year with a new CBA, shrinking cap and goalie demanding a trade in a deep draft.

Now he also got a promising, young, big C and a a promising, young goalie for an aging albeit Allstar goalie who has desperately wanted out for a couple years. We got younger, bigger and freed up cap space while making Lu happy.

Again fair.

Thank you -_- I don't know what people expected to get, but I am loving this trade.

All this could have been avoided with a Stanley Cup win in 2011. The key pieces of that epic team are leaving Vancouver in a shroud of bitterness.

From where to where in the span of just a few years. Wow. It's going to take a while to adjust to following a team that has no potential to win anything of significance.

Yes.

And funny how Thomas feels suddenly?

Now it is his job to pump Lou's tires! :rolleyes:

Or teach him not to pout and be a champion...

Although the return is a bit disappointing, I think MG did as well as can be expected. Certainly, Matthias and Markstrom are an improvement over the pair of 2nd rounders that Nonis was offering last season.

Unlike many people here, I think Lou has been a good soldier here and got far more criticism than he deserved. I'm happy for him that he was traded to his preferred destination.

Both he and TT better get the tire pumps ready...

Just because you overvalue what goalies are getting in return on trades doesn't make this a "fleece" either ;)

Gillis got fair return for a promising but unproven goalie in a crap year with a new CBA, shrinking cap and goalie demanding a trade in a deep draft.

Now he also got a promising, young, big C and a a promising, young goalie for an aging albeit Allstar goalie who has desperately wanted out for a couple years. We got younger, bigger and freed up cap space while making Lu happy.

Again fair.

Mathias is not a promising young center. Pretty solid, not debating that.

He is an established veteran, know what you get kinda player. Who is UFA at the end of next season not a key piece for our future.

As presented earlier, a roster fill in until the Horvat, Gaunce train, etc. drops them off ready to play...

The salary retention will make all the difference here.

I like that Lack and Markstrom have good history together. They should feel comfortable getting each other's back.

Those are two tall keepers!

we traded Luo themininister!!!!!!

how many times....?

the retention - It's 15% or about 800k a year. Not bad at all.

I love, absolutely love the return.

Swedish youth movement in goal. Couldn't have scripted it better.

And needless to say, Matthias is a nice piece for our mix.

Well done GMMG.

Markstrom for Schneids and the Canucks effectively dealt Luongo for Horvat and Matthias.

Epic.

we traded Luo themininister!!!!!!

how many times....?

the retention - It's 15% or about 765k a year. Not bad at all.

I love, absolutely love the return.

Swedish youth movement in goal. Couldn't have scripted it better.

And needless to say, Matthias is a nice piece for our mix.

Well done GMMG.

I think we even came up with this deal somewhere along the way.

The divorce papers are signed, I'm taking off this ring, putting on my party shirt, and going to the club! I'm going to get me some young strange.

I like the return too. Not worried about cap space for awhile. Markstrom could be as good as Schneider in two years and Horvat is a solid building block.

More to come, methinks. Schenn (I know, I know), Hagg, 1st for Kes.

Move that 1st and our 1st for the 4th overall. Take Dal Colle or Bennett. Retool seriously in motion.

Sorry if any of this has already been posted. (The forum is so slow I can't see anything!)

From TSN article...

It certainly doesn't seem like he demanded anything, so the people who've been saying that as if it were fact and not their own mean spirited conjecture can just stop.

Let's at least show a little respect to the man who holds most Vancouver Canucks goaltending records!

Luongo said he views the team as an ex-wife who he is already over.

He said he is happy to go to Florida, both for himself, and his family. The same family that would not move to Vancouver to be with the star athlete in the family.

You're only kidding yourself if you believe Luongo wanted to sink with this ship.

Archived