The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

Why is there such an outrage here, we all knew Luongo wanted out... the ship sailed the minute Luongo said something publicly.

IMO both parties should've handled it better, and right now we are actually getting something tangible back for Luongo that seems like a win to me.

good trade for Luongo.. classless way for the organization to trade him.. don't even let him have a farewell game at the heritage classic.. his last game in Vancouver was over a month ago for the franchise all time leading goaltender in every category. if they are rebuilding anyways.. won't hurt to give Luongo the heritage classic as a farewell game to the fan..

People thinking this is Gillis' fault and not Luongo's have it wrong, IMO. Luongo requested a trade for basically no reason, made it public, then controlled the entire trade situation with his NTC.

Then in August he said he didn't want to be traded, or no longer needed to or whatever. Then he plays like crap and expects an important start, when he doesn't get it, he cries for a trade immediately.

He might have been a good goalie, but the Canucks don't need this crap in the dressing room. This is the NHL.

Markstrom and Lack are gonna be stars. Hopefully Matthias can become a 30-35 pointer next year on a better team, probably with one of Higgins/Hansen/Burrows and Kassian as linemates. Kassian and Matthias are big, so having a speedy-grinder on their line is gonna be good.

Saying that, the trade deadline hasn't hit yet, and more might be coming.

Hope Gillis learns his lessons: 1. don't hold onto dramatic players. Trade Kesler today or by the draft if he truly doesn't have his heart in Vancouver. 2. don't give away so many damn NTCs. Jesus.

So, we got Steve Anthony who will never make the NHL, again, Matthias a third line center, and Markstrom who may never actually make the NHL. He obviously hasn't made the jump and he hasn't dominated the AHL by any means.

This is the best we could get? A depth center is the only guarantee here.

Or we gave up Anthony? Well, the point still stands here.

Just named goalie of the month but it's not like that's dominating or not. Markstrom if you recal is the same guy that was the number 1 goalie in sweden and Lack was his backup

Would have been nice to have a pick involved a 2nd / 3rd especially since van is retaining salary but at the same time its good to remove that from the locker room (not suggesting he stirred anything up but I am sure the players knew the situation).

Wonder if more dominoes will fall aside from Kesler / Edler as now the players know the rebuild is on and maybe they want to be part of a winning franchise

Which was a direct result of his "Doesn't matter what he wants" comment about Kesler earlier. That was childish and unprofessional.

I'm just glad the drama queen is gone and we can move on with some promising youth.

How was he a drama queen? He was nothing but professional, even according to his teammates. Seriously, the only thing people can point to is one off the cuff joke/truth about a potential Kesler trade? But Torts isn't a drama queen, storming the Calgary dressing room, making the obviously wrong choice in the HC for BOTH goalies and then telling Luo before he had to go face the media scrum but scurrying away like a COWARD himself, saying they wouldn't announce the goalie until the next day even though it was being widely reported just so he wouldn't have to face the media and would whip the storm even stronger, and then telling the media that Luo was "pissed." Where is all of this outrage over unprofessionalism when it comes to anyone other than Luo?

This hypocrisy is exactly why I'm so glad for Luo that he's finally out of here. Even if I'm still sad.

Ray Ferraro saying he's not too big on him. Saying he let's in a lot of unusual goals that shouldn't go in. Lot of middle of the net goals.

So.... congrats on the promotion Lack!

He's had some good seasons at the AHL level with some poor teams, save pct. of .907, .927, .920, and .918 this season. I'll admit that when I saw him play for Florida this season, he did not look good, but look at Florida. Thomas is able to handle the goals against because he's a veteran.

He definitely has potential to be a game-breaking goaltender.

Archived