The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

I think we even came up with this deal somewhere along the way.

The divorce papers are signed, I'm taking off this ring, putting on my party shirt, and going to the club! I'm going to get me some young strange.

I like the return too. Not worried about cap space for awhile. Markstrom could be as good as Schneider in two years and Horvat is a solid building block.

More to come, methinks. Schenn (I know, I know), Hagg, 1st for Kes.

Move that 1st and our 1st for the 4th overall. Take Dal Colle or Bennett. Retool seriously in motion.

I would sure be tickled if the Nucks turned around and flipped Markstrom to NJ for Schneids.

They have to be considered comparable talents.

But no matter. I'm thrilled to have Markstrom.

In the end, it's essentally Horvat and Matthias for Luongo.

TSN is trying like hell to spin this as a travesty - and not enough - but hey, Gillis just gave Luongo exactly what he wanted. And all of a sudden these idiots wonder why MG couldn't pull a blockbuster return out of this - after suggesting Luo was a cap dump for the last two years. Not only that, but in the real world a few things changed - most obviously Florida's ownership.

The Canucks not only wind up with Matthias, Horvat, and a Swedish tri-andem - but a million and a half in cap space (even after the salary retention).

Great deal for both sides imo.

hope Luongo retires in 2020 when all our rookies should be out of their elc by then and we have to trade a few away coz we'll be stuck with a 4.5mil cap penalty. if i was Luongo i'd do it just to screw the Canucks over just like how they screwed away 3years of his career

Anyone else think MG wont do anything tomorrow? he's going to be like "Hey I made my 'bold' move" and relaxes for the rest of the season...

its pretty much a must that he has to trade kesler. otherwise he'll walk in 2 years or we'll get an Iginla return for him

Sorry if any of this has already been posted. (The forum is so slow I can't see anything!)

From TSN article...

It certainly doesn't seem like he demanded anything, so the people who've been saying that as if it were fact and not their own mean spirited conjecture can just stop.

Let's at least show a little respect to the man who holds most Vancouver Canucks goaltending records!

It does seem to be overstated a bit?

People don't seem to understand that M. is a UFA - not to mention he's a third line center at best (and on a bad team at that).

UFA next year, not this...

And better than 3rd line center on a bad team. Manny replacement?

I would sure be tickled if the Nucks turned around and flipped Markstrom to NJ for Schneids.

They have to be considered comparable talents.

But no matter. I'm thrilled to have Markstrom.

In the end, it's essentally Horvat and Matthias for Luongo.

TSN is trying like hell to spin this as a travesty - and not enough - but hey, Gillis just gave Luongo exactly what he wanted. And all of a sudden these idiots wonder why MG couldn't pull a blockbuster return out of this - after suggesting Luo was a cap dump for the last two years. Not only that, but in the real world a few things changed - most obviously Florida's ownership.

The Canucks not only wind up with Matthias, Horvat, and a Swedish tri-andem - but a million and a half in cap space (even after the salary retention).

Great deal for both sides imo.

Yeah pretty comparable talents as scouts view them, drafted at a similar level as well. Schneider has already beat two potential HOF goalies out of #1 roles though. Markstrom isnt quite as advanced in his development. But still a promising pick up.

This Canuck organization is a joke. From Gillis down to Torts. I'm not surprised Lui is gone. What Torts did to Lui during the heritage classic was horrible.

It was a joke when the whole goalie controversy was created…. Should have traded Schneider years ago for a 2nd line winger that we've need all along. Instead we kept both and created this mess… now both are gone.

This Canuck organization is a joke. From Gillis down to Torts. I'm not surprised Lui is gone. What Torts did to Lui during the heritage classic was horrible.

Deal was probably done or almost....They probably didn't wanna overshadow the Heritage with trade talk by pulling the trade trigger early or risk Lou getting hurt.

Anyone else think MG wont do anything tomorrow? he's going to be like "Hey I made my 'bold' move" and relaxes for the rest of the season...

I think if there's a trade to be made that makes sense, he'll make it. I don't think he's going to make trades willy nilly just so he can say "see CDC, I made bold moves for you".

Mathias is not a promising young center. Pretty solid, not debating that.

He is an established veteran, know what you get kinda player. Who is UFA at the end of next season not a key piece for our future.

As presented earlier, a roster fill in until the Horvat, Gaunce train, etc. drops them off ready to play...

26 is still pretty young, I don't know if I'd call that "veteran". I'll give you "established" though. Established young C.

Luongo is my favourite goalie, all time!

That said. This is a breath of fresh air for everyone.

Thank gawd it's over. I'm super happy Luongo got his wish to return to Florida and his family.

It's a dang travesty how the best goalie the Canucks have ever had got jerked around so hard in his tenure here. I hope he realizes that a tonne of fans wanted him to retire a Canuck.

Markstrom and Matthias...Sweet!

People don't seem to understand that M. is a UFA - not to mention he's a third line center at best (and on a bad team at that).

no reason he can't be signed to an extension or dumped next year if need be. Better to give Luo what he wants- an undisputed starting role, cap space for VAN and 2 young players to work with.

Looks pretty even to me

Roberto Luongo was one of my all-time favourite Canucks. In a fandom that has spanned Ohlund, Jovanovski, Cloutier, Salo, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Naslund, Hank, Dank, Burr, Kes, Beaker, Bertuzzi, BMo, Trevor Linden, Andrew Cassels andTaylor Pyatt's eyes, Luongo is right up there with Linden for me. A true legend of the franchise, and the best goalie I have seen in a Nucks uniform.

I am ecstatic that after expecting zero return, or even using our last compliance buyout on him, we instead have snaffled a promising backup goalie plus a scoring third liner on a good contract. Most of CDC has played the 'how do we get Matthias' game over the last two years - now we have our man.

I will be avidly following Lu's progress in Florida. I hope he leads them to the playoffs next season, and beyond.

I would like to smash MG in the face for treating our star player like he has over the last 4 years, from the fallout of the captaincy and all the stuff since. He's been a very poor 'leader' of our team, and I can only hope that without the clearly unwanted distraction of Lu that he can now concentrate on business matters.

I also now hope that our D will have a fire lit under it. They cannot let Markstrom get lit up the way Lu has at times this season. They now have someone to protect, rather than someone to bail them out.

For now, farewell Roberto Luongo. Thank you for the memories. We will always cherish them.

Archived