The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

LUONGO TRADED to Florida - Official Discussion Thread

-SN-

cue all the worst canucks "fans" who can't even give a modicum of credit or praise to Luongo, a player who's been our star goaltender for all these years, and yet you still have idiots sitting on here spitting crap about him.

I don't care if I get suspended or whatever, some of you are tools and have no respect.

Value wise, Gillis got bent over.

2 excellent #1 goalies netted us a solid prospect (Horvat), a 3rd line centre who is an upcoming UFA (Matthias), and Markstrom, who has potential but hasn't brought it consistently to the NHL level yet (so really, a back-up to the goalie who was behind Luongo and Schneider on the depth chart). That goaltending controversy was managed so terribly...

But, positives: Schneids and Lu are going to get playing time they deserve now, and are out of this mess. Also, this indicates to me the rebuild is in effect, and change is coming.

Last year the Canucks had Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo, one could say the best 1 - 2 combo any NHL team could have in net. Great yes. But a distraction and overly expensive - yes. Everyone knew 1 of these goalies would have to be moved for something, anything to end this fiasco and let them both play.

Fast forward to today, and not Cory Schneider, not Roberto Luongo, but Eddie Lack is the winner in the starting goalie saga from last year. No offence to Eddie Lack but.....

Picard-speechless.jpg

Since becoming a Vancouver fan four years ago I've watched them in awe and was totally on TeamLu and still am today. Gonna miss him but for him its better this way. He at least gets out of dodge and goes back to where he's wanted to go for a while now. As for the management as soon as this season is over Gillis needs to get his walking papers....Today we lose Lu and tomorrow it could possibly be Kesler....Can someone give me a stiff drink pls?

I really don't know what to say about this.... better be a lot of shipments 'out' tomorrow, but I really don't know what FA in there right mind would want to sign here under this regime, so get ready for the Pittsburgh rebuilding method.

How we can go from two awesome goalies to none in the matter of a season and in reality have scraps / nice prospects but nothing sure to show for it... I dunno.

Not sure what people were expecting, we just got a great young goaltender and a top 9 forward. That's not a bad return, not to mention the $800,000 salary retention is a bargain if Luongo can play out his contract in Florida at least as a backup. We're basically fine unless he goes on LTIR, which would be absolutely catastrophic to our organization.

:picard::sadno: If Gillis doesn't get fired for this......sigh...Thanks for all memories LOU.....came within a game....Hope you do well back in Florida at least you are close to home and family...well this makes it official...a complete disaster to the season.... <_<

All the best Lou, the pressure's off...just be sure to keep a security cam on your car!

We just got a whole lot bigger at forward with Mathias who is 26 and 220 and Costello who is 23 and 212 Lbs. and should be ready for 4th line duty next year.

I expect they will sign a veteran goalie soon, can't imagine they will go with such a young duo.

Archived