The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

i think miller would be willing to waive to go to a socal team.

It's hard to imagine either of the 2 SoCal teams taking him.

L.A. has Quick signed for the next 4 seasons at $7 million per and Jones, Bartoszak and Berube are younger and a great deal cheaper than Miller.

Andersen has won Anaheim's #1 job at the age of 25 and his stats, at least, were better than those of Miller this year. I didn't follow that team well enough to know for sure how his play was but had the sense as the season went on that he was doing pretty well. With 21 year old Gibson being a very cheap and adequate backup (2.60 GAA, .914 Sv%, 13-8-0 in 21 starts and a salary under $800K) I'd suggest Anaheim, too, would have just about zero interest in taking on our $ 6 million soon to be 35 YO goalie.

Edited by tyhee

It's hard to imagine either of the 2 SoCal teams taking him.

L.A. has Quick signed for the next 4 seasons at $7 million per and Jones, Bartoszak and Berube are younger and a great deal cheaper than Miller.

Andersen has won Anaheim's #1 job at the age of 25 and his stats, at least, were better than those of Miller this year. I didn't follow that team well enough to know for sure how his play was but had the sense as the season went on that he was doing pretty well. With 21 year old Gibson being a very cheap and adequate backup (2.60 GAA, .914 Sv%, 13-8-0 in 21 starts and a salary under $800K) I'd suggest Anaheim, too, would have just about zero interest in taking on our $ 6 million soon to be 35 YO goalie.

san jose is what i'm thinking.

• Upvote 1

i think miller would be willing to waive to go to a socal team.

But would they be willing to trade for him?

LA has Quick so that's a non starter, and Anaheim has two young goalies (but could use a vet short term if they fail yet again these playoffs) while San Jose is rebuilding but rumoured to be looking for a young, up and coming goalie rather than a vet.

Would we have to retain salary to make it happen, and if so, how much? What would the return be?

I don't think it's a given we can move Miller over one of the other two.

I REALLY hope this happens this summer. Even as a cap dump with negligible return.

Much rather upgrade our D and roll with Lack/Markstrom.

Although I do see the benefit of bringing him in, I wasn't a fan of the move - particularly for the term and cap hit. It may take retaining salary and very little in return (or a cap dump for cap dump type trade) to move him.

I'd like to see Markstrom (and Lack) stay, but I'm not so sure it'll work out that way.

But would they be willing to trade for him?

LA has Quick so that's a non starter, and Anaheim has two young goalies (but could use a vet short term if they fail yet again these playoffs) while San Jose is rebuilding but rumoured to be looking for a young, up and coming goalie rather than a vet.

Would we have to retain salary to make it happen, and if so, how much? What would the return be?

I don't think it's a given we can move Miller over one of the other two.

Although I do see the benefit of bringing him in, I wasn't a fan of the move - particularly for the term and cap hit. It may take retaining salary and very little in return (or a cap dump for cap dump type trade) to move him.

I'd like to see Markstrom (and Lack) stay, but I'm not so sure it'll work out that way.

san jose would probably like a vet goalie to help develop their young goalie. give them miller and eriksson, old and new, they'll be set for a while.

san jose is what i'm thinking.

I'd wondered that, but I responded to your use of SoCal. I then thought of editing to add the Northern California team, but you'd already responded.

SJ could be the only plausible option if they are interested. My guess is that given Miller's $6 mill contract, San Jose might find a more enticing option, but all we can do for now is speculate.

Edited by tyhee

I have my concerns about JM's ability to dominate at the AHL level but not translate that into the NHL level. Are his numbers in Utica inflated because of the quality of the coaching/team game being played down there? Would someone like RM coaching him long-term at the NHL level bring his game up to where some people think it can be? Is he just another tale of someone who had what it took at one level but couldn't rise to the next? Is he just an example of how goalies take longer to develop?

There are questions no doubt.

Word is the Canucks are seeking to negotiate/sign the BC kid O'Connor. I'm always for adding quality talent to the prospect pool, but this would create even more questions than answers and throw JM's future into doubt.

I have my concerns about JM's ability to dominate at the AHL level but not translate that into the NHL level. Are his numbers in Utica inflated because of the quality of the coaching/team game being played down there? Would someone like RM coaching him long-term at the NHL level bring his game up to where some people think it can be? Is he just another tale of someone who had what it took at one level but couldn't rise to the next? Is he just an example of how goalies take longer to develop?

There are questions no doubt.

Word is the Canucks are seeking to negotiate/sign the BC kid O'Connor. I'm always for adding quality talent to the prospect pool, but this would create even more questions than answers and throw JM's future into doubt.

I absolutely hate what I'm about to write, because I thought Markstrom should have been backing up Lack this season (most on CDC disagree, I know), but I think Canucks don't plan on either Markstrom or Eriksson being in the system next season, which is why O'Connor is interested in the Canucks. He'd step into Utica immediately and expect to be in the NHL after 2 seasons. That is, I think O'Connor is viewed as a replacement for Markstrom in the system.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, if Miller goes to make room for Marky to make the big club next year, it's likely San Jose or *maybe* Colorado for their prospective 1st rounders.

Miller alone isn't going to get a 1st rounder.

Edited by Gstank29

I honestly can't see Benning selling Miller. The value of a proven NHL goaltender blows my mind. It is the single most important factor in the playoffs yet teams like St.Louis and Anaheim refuse to invest in one.

A hot goaltender will bring a high flying president trophy winner to it's knees.

A cold goaltender will bring a high flying president trophy winner to it's knees.

Miller alone isn't going to get a 1st rounder.

It's all in how the team values good goaltending. I believe both San Jose and Colorado value that position greatly. I mean neither made the playoffs and mostly because Niemi was spotty and Varly was injured. The best GMs are sales people. You have to show them the value in it. It's pretty easy to show said value when you look at how both teams did this season.

It's all in how the team values good goaltending. I believe both San Jose and Colorado value that position greatly. I mean neither made the playoffs and mostly because Niemi was spotty and Varly was injured. The best GMs are sales people. You have to show them the value in it. It's pretty easy to show said value when you look at how both teams did this season.

top 10 pick>>>>>>>>> Miller

/end of story.

I honestly can't see Benning selling Miller. The value of a proven NHL goaltender blows my mind. It is the single most important factor in the playoffs yet teams like St.Louis and Anaheim refuse to invest in one.

A hot goaltender will bring a high flying president trophy winner to it's knees.

A cold goaltender will bring a high flying president trophy winner to it's knees.

Moving Miller is making a choice between possibly being competitive (but not CUP serious) for a couple of years or gambling that Lack can carry the load and continue to put up 'better' numbers than Miller was/will. Fans can enjoy the Flamer round but that is not the real NHL world. I have been calling for a MIller trade since January because I think Lack can do the job and the $6 mil CAP saving could be spent

on a better d-core.