The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

Guest Dasein

I wouldn't worry too much about Markstrom's mental state after talking to the reporters

Was glad to see WD go over and talk to Jacob and trying to keep him positive (looked like he was trying to lighten him up) and keep his confidence in place

Sorry if no ome wants to talk about it butbi missed the game. What the hell happened?

Markstrom got pulled after 3 goals on 4 shots.

First one was a real nice shot after some terrible defence by Vancouver. Markstrom could've had it but it was an almost perfect shot.

Second one was just weird not really Markstroms fault at all. Puck bounced off the glass into the crease and a Shark somehow backhands it from his knees and facing the wrong way.

Third was off a really bad rebound (his one save) it looked like first two got into his head at that point.

I'd say a mix of bad luck and nerves got the best of him. Hopefully his next chance goes a lot better. I still believe this guy can do it at the NHL level. It's really odd he's flopped so hard so frequently in the NHL, maybe it's just a mental thing. Whatever it is he better get over it quick.

First one was a real nice shot after some terrible defence by Vancouver. Markstrom could've had it but it was an almost perfect shot.

Second one was just weird not really Markstroms fault at all. Puck bounced off the glass into the crease and a Shark somehow backhands it from his knees and facing the wrong way.

Third was off a really bad rebound (his one save) it looked like first two got into his head at that point.

I'd say a mix of bad luck and nerves got the best of him. Hopefully his next chance goes a lot better. I still believe this guy can do it at the NHL level. It's really odd he's flopped so hard so frequently in the NHL, maybe it's just a mental thing. Whatever it is he better get over it quick.

do you think wd gives him another shot while miller is out?

I can see Markstrom stringing together a couple shut outs

This is his opportunity

I'd be surprised to see him get a single shutout at this point, never mind stringing them together.

The first one was a horrible play/turnover by weber (surprise surprise), it would have been nice to see a save there, but it's certainly understandable that he didn't get that one.

The second one, however, was completely his fault. He should have caught the initial shot (it went off his glove for fracks sake), then he fell down on his butt when panicking after he flubbed that shot, instead of dropping to his knees, then when he recovered he failed to cover the bottom of the net while reaching for the puck (that's a basic). he had plenty of opportunities to prevent that goal, and it should have been stopped.

Then the third goal he basically passed it to couture with that fat juicy rebound right to his stick.

it was a complete disappointment of a game.

I'd give him the start against the tanking coyotes just to give him some confidence and see what happens. if he craps the bed again, then i don't think we'll have to worry about him clearing waivers next season when we send him down to utica again, and we certainly won't have to worry about what goalie we need to trade in this offseason.

Edited by avelanch

do you think wd gives him another shot while miller is out?

I think he has to. If Willie is really confident he can bounce back it might even be a good idea to put him in next game against The Coyotes. If not then I'd say him put him against Toronto. We have to give him more than one chance to see if he can cut it.

As someone who has played goal in multiple sports I'd be the first to tell you how much your performance can vary when even the smallest variable is tweaked. I really don't think it's a skill thing with Markstrom. I think he just gets too hyped up and over thinks playing in the NHL. He might just need to f up a few times before he settles in.

Edited by ashbury

Blame Markstrom all you want but he's playing behind a defence with 2 NHL regulars (Hamhuis and Sbisa) and 4 AHL defencemen, not to mention or best defensive forward in Richardson is out as is Burrows.

Thrown into the fire.

only the first goal can be chalked up to the fault of a defender, the other 2 were entirely stoppable and clearly his fault. we don't need to try to make excuses for his play, it was horrible. what he needs to do is shake it off and regroup for his next game, whenever that may be (hopefully against a team in tank mode, which should be a confidence booster)

The easy choice would have been to play him against Arizona. Let him get his first game against a basement team.

WD chose otherwise, unfortunately it was a bad debut this year no doubt. When playing a team your trying to pull away from in the playoff push I do believe you should be starting your Best goalie available.

Now things have tightened up, we need to rebound and must beat arizona. This team got to stick together after the trade deadline, if they lose out on a playoff spot, I think the core will have to be taken apart. Numerous NTC will asked to waive

I hope Markstrom gets a couple more starts minimum, but maybe he is the one we move at the draft packaged with something else to try and recoup a 2nd rounder. His value still isnt much, AHL is not the NHL

Come on Markstrom, keep your head up and when you get your next chance show us what you got

Edited by Yotes

The good news is, the next game he plays he is almost certainly guaranteed to play better. You almost can't let in more goals than he did the other night!

Really though, too early to be overreacting. You don't have a goalie with all that talent at one level who just forgets it at another. He probably has a little bit of nerves, combined with a Canucks defense that is in shambles. Still excited to see what he can do in a full game.

You can blame the d - which is fair, given we have AHLers in the lineup. But the fact is that he just had a bad game. He needs to move on and not let this rattle him. Lack shouldn't (and won't, I hope) be made to play all the games going forward until Miller is back.

I feel awful for Jacob Markstrom . I've watched him play all year in Utica and know what he is capable of.

I can only imagine that he was so pumped up for this game that when the first shot went in it affected his concentration and it snowballed from there. Markstrom just needs to relax and trust his own ability and he will be fine.

He had a great season in Utica but that doesn't mean that he didn't have a few stinkers along the way. He was pulled from a few games and bounced back with great efforts immediately after. The most recent was New Years day when he was pulled after giving up 5 goals on 17 shots and Green went right back with him the next day when he made 43 saves as the Comets beat the Flames 2 - 1.

• Upvote 1

I feel awful for Jacob Markstrom . I've watched him play all year in Utica and know what he is capable of.

I can only imagine that he was so pumped up for this game that when the first shot went in it affected his concentration and it snowballed from there. Markstrom just needs to relax and trust his own ability and he will be fine.

He had a great season in Utica but that doesn't mean that he didn't have a few stinkers along the way. He was pulled from a few games and bounced back with great efforts immediately after. The most recent was New Years day when he was pulled after giving up 5 goals on 17 shots and Green went right back with him the next day when he made 43 saves as the Comets beat the Flames 2 - 1.

the problem with him is he has already proven to be a great ahl goalie. He needs to take the next step. The canucks dont need an ahl goalie. This has been his problem since day 1. Its definitely in his head. Hopefully he breaks through that barrier.

You can blame the d - which is fair, given we have AHLers in the lineup. But the fact is that he just had a bad game. He needs to move on and not let this rattle him. Lack shouldn't (and won't, I hope) be made to play all the games going forward until Miller is back.

You can blame the D all you want, but fact of the matter is 2 of the 3 goals were straight up shots that weren't deflected or screened. He gets a pass on the 2nd goal because of a fluke bounce that went over his net and on his back and drops in front of him.

But that first goal by that no namer was a plain old wrist shot from the face off circle, and Couture's goal was a one timer/wrist shot from around the same area off of a kick save rebound that also beat Markstrom high. Maybe Melanson needs to work on him not playing so low, hard to imagine a 6 foot 6 guy getting beat over the glove/shoulder twice in 8 minutes.

I find it comical that Miller gets all kinds of slack when he has a stinker because he is a vet. In his career he has tended to fold in playoffs rather than win big. Because of his vet status the Canucks should be trading Miller to capitalize the most out of the 3 tenders. I suspect the Canucks are scared the fans will MT the arena if they did not make playoffs.

Well that could have gone better!

I'd probably start him in Arizona. Get him right back up on that horse and don't let him stew to long over it. Really needs to get over whatever his mental barrier is though and get comfortable.

Hopefully getting Edler back next game will help too.

• Upvote 1

Well that could have gone better!

I'd probably start him in Arizona. Get him right back up on that horse and don't let him stew to long over it. Really needs to get over whatever his mental barrier is though and get comfortable.

Hopefully getting Edler back next game will help too.

totally agree. I do think WD needs to keep a short leash on him that game though. 2 goals in the first and yank him imo.

I find it comical that Miller gets all kinds of slack when he has a stinker because he is a vet. In his career he has tended to fold in playoffs rather than win big. Because of his vet status the Canucks should be trading Miller to capitalize the most out of the 3 tenders. I suspect the Canucks are scared the fans will MT the arena if they did not make playoffs.

You don't think Eddie gets slack for stinkers? Back to back 5 goals against games, and he gets an Eddie chant after a routine save late in the 3rd in the St. Louis game. I've heard Miller get boo'd after 2 bad goals, not a Miller chant start after 10 goals against in 120 minutes including 3 in 7 minutes to give up a 5-2 lead.