The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

I think we have to be ready for a scenario in which Markstrom is dealt for whatever we can get, probably not that much. The reason is that Miller is going to be hard to move, and Lack is just too good to get rid of. If Lack becomes our #1, Miller may expand his list of places he's willing to go, but it will still be too late to keep Markstrom. I don't like this scenario at all, but we could well be stuck with it. If Matthais walks in addition, it means that we get essentially nothing but retained cap for Luongo and that we would have been better off waiving him. I don't even want to think about that.

I think we have to be ready for a scenario in which Markstrom is dealt for whatever we can get, probably not that much. The reason is that Miller is going to be hard to move, and Lack is just too good to get rid of. If Lack becomes our #1, Miller may expand his list of places he's willing to go, but it will still be too late to keep Markstrom. I don't like this scenario at all, but we could well be stuck with it. If Matthais walks in addition, it means that we get essentially nothing but retained cap for Luongo and that we would have been better off waiving him. I don't even want to think about that.

I thought Lagongo's No Movement Clause meant he could not be placed on waivers.

Still some question marks that playoffs in Van and in Utica might answer for next year. Cannot critic

Benning for the Miller signing at all. Lack looked promising but not a sure thing. I wanted Miller traded at the March deadline as Lack had confirmed what he showed last season. He is a #1. Not moving

Miller means a deal prior to the Draft is likely. Van's biggest challenge is in the d-zone, both with ability and size. Van has no dman in the minors with size who will threaten for a spot next year.

Markstrom: Is not a writeoff IMO. He can backup Lack next fall and get enough games to get a NHL read on him. If he does not show well there are enough NHL quality backups to replace him.

Benning has said that he thinks Pedan is close. I admit that's a little vague and think it means he would be a possible call up after Corrado, maybe Biega. He likely doesn't have a chance until 2016-17.

2016-17 is going to be a very interesting training camp because there is a laundry list of players who will be ready. Corrado is ready now but needs to be a regular, Biega, Pedan, Hutton on D.

Forwards, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Viratnen, Jensen, Cassels, McCann, Grenier......all these will be getting serious consideration.

Gotta love internal competition. Look how Shink picked it up after the Baer signing. Can you see Baer or Shink pushing Danny for 1LW in 2 years.....lol.

Edited by Crabcakes

Benning has said that he thinks Pedan is close. I admit that's a little vague and think it means he would be a possible call up after Corrado, maybe Biega. He likely doesn't have a chance until 2016-17.

2016-17 is going to be a very interesting training camp because there is a laundry list of players who will be ready. Corrado is ready now but needs to be a regular, Biega, Pedan, Hutton on D.

Forwards, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Viratnen, Jensen, Cassels, McCann, Grenier......all these will be getting serious consideration.

Gotta love internal competition. Look how Shink picked it up after the Baer signing. Can you see Baer or Shink pushing Danny for 1LW in 2 years.....lol.

Youth will not be served this coming September, you forget Baertschi and Clendening are guranteed roster spots. Believe Corraddo will leave Vcr

Edited by Fred65

Edmonton's 3rd? It would be like a late second rounder.

I admit to having doubts about the Twins effectiveness through to the conclusion of their contracts. WD

running 4 lines and not simply paying lip service to that idea really benefits the Twins IMHO. If Danny

would fire the puck more often, as he has been lately, it makes their line more of a threat. By all

appearances Horvat likely will be 2C by the end of next year. A bonafide 2nd line threat will do wonders for the Twins effectiveness.

Since I do not think the Twins will be bounced from the 1st line next year your question about Sven B and Shink comes down to 2LW. I do think that 2LW will be open. Higgins, if he is still here, should be 3LW. It will be a big decision as to whether Matthias is resigned or Higgins moved. It will probably come down to Matthias contract demands and whether management thinks his game can adjust and continue developing. WD will have a lot to say about that. Matthias has upside, 1st season out of hockey hell known as Florida, has to take a regrounding. I lean towards keeping Matthias, experimenting with Sven B and Matthias at 2LW, and having Matthias remain on the PK. Who knows what Higgins would bring back, maybe a 3rd?

Boudrias

I agree with what you're saying there. Higgins or Matthias (which ever one they keep) can hold 2LW until Baertchi is ready (I expect he needs a little developing defensively). Once Baertchi can hold down 2LW then Higgins or Matthias will slot into 3LW.

Higgins is strong defensively and is not a defensive liability on the 2nd line but he disappears offensively against better defenders. The 3rd line is a place for him to succeed. Same with Matthias imo.

Same deal with Bonino. I think that Horvat needs more time to make the 2nd line but Bones can hold down that spot until Horvat is ready. Bonino I think will do much better as a defensive 3rd liner.

Boudrias

I agree with what you're saying there. Higgins or Matthias (which ever one they keep) can hold 2LW until Baertchi is ready (I expect he needs a little developing defensively). Once Baertchi can hold down 2LW then Higgins or Matthias will slot into 3LW.

Higgins is strong defensively and is not a defensive liability on the 2nd line but he disappears offensively against better defenders. The 3rd line is a place for him to succeed. Same with Matthias imo.

Same deal with Bonino. I think that Horvat needs more time to make the 2nd line but Bones can hold down that spot until Horvat is ready. Bonino I think will do much better as a defensive 3rd liner.

The Higgins vs Matthias consideration is interesting. Higgins is seen as defensively responsible and does have NHL experience. He scores 30-40 points. He PK's. Matthias is bigger and faster and also plays the PK. He comes out of Florida which I do think counts against him. I don't see it but wonder if WD

defers to Higgin's experience and possibly Higgins plays a better positional game. Uncertain about that. Matthias has potential to provide Horvat with a board presence.

One of my bigger concerns is the physical consistency of both players. IMHO neither are any where near

what they have to be. Stick checking simply does not cut it in playoff hockey. Matthias was doing more

earlier in the year but did not resume such play after his elbow to the head injury.

I trust Canuck management will make the right choice. I lean towards Matthias. Hoping that he likes Van enough to give JB an affordable contract. In any event the 2nd line cannot come back as built. Vrbata is the only top 6 quality player there. I see a Sven B/Matthias-Horvat-Vrbata opportunity next fall.

It is not a stretch to see Horvat as 2C as his line was a 2nd line for stretches this year. The big

question is whether Horvat needs Kenins and Hanson's board play to succeed. Neither Sven B or Vrbata will give him a lot of help there.

Edited by Boudrias

Dasein:

Changed your mind yet about Lack? Stand by my thinking that Miller is tradable and that Lack becomes Van's #1. I admit that Lack has had the puck bouncing for him in recent games but bottom line is he is regularly stealing points for his team. I rather Markstrom get a road game but that is not likely as he should get a game during this home stand.

Getting value out of Miller in a Draft day trade makes to much sense over the long term for Van. Combine that with moving two veteran skaters and Van would be truly establishing a depth chart around a age group that could contend for a CUP. Miller and the Twins will not be here when Van seriously challenges for a CUP again.

Miller isn't 5 mill better than Lack. Here's hoping SJ comes calling

Miller isn't 5 mill better than Lack. Here's hoping SJ comes calling

He doesn't have to be though, does he?

He just has to be better and at this point I think he is. He is the difference between getting to the playoffs again next season and not for this team and that is well worth $5M.

The Higgins vs Matthias consideration is interesting. Higgins is seen as defensively responsible and does have NHL experience. He scores 30-40 points. He PK's. Matthias is bigger and faster and also plays the PK. He comes out of Florida which I do think counts against him. I don't see it but wonder if WD

defers to Higgin's experience and possibly Higgins plays a better positional game. Uncertain about that. Matthias has potential to provide Horvat with a board presence.

One of my bigger concerns is the physical consistency of both players. IMHO neither are any where near

what they have to be. Stick checking simply does not cut it in playoff hockey. Matthias was doing more

earlier in the year but did not resume such play after his elbow to the head injury.

I trust Canuck management will make the right choice. I lean towards Matthias. Hoping that he likes Van enough to give JB an affordable contract. In any event the 2nd line cannot come back as built. Vrbata is the only top 6 quality player there. I see a Sven B/Matthias-Horvat-Vrbata opportunity next fall.

It is not a stretch to see Horvat as 2C as his line was a 2nd line for stretches this year. The big

question is whether Horvat needs Kenins and Hanson's board play to succeed. Neither Sven B or Vrbata will give him a lot of help there.

I don't see that, not for a while anyway.

I really think our 2c has to show more point production than any of our available centres are showing at the moment bar Hank. It may come next season for Bo with a better playmaker along side him but really he can't complain with some of the chances dished to him by Hansen and Kenins so far.

If Horvat ups his production next year to say 25g 30 assists then fine he is ready for the 2nd line but until then he looks more like our future 3rd line centre to me.

Edited by alfstonker

I don't see that, not for a while anyway.

I really think our 2c has to show more point production than any of our available centres are showing at the moment bar Hank. It may come next season for Bo with a better playmaker along side him but really he can't complain with some of the chances dished to him by Hansen and Kenins so far.

If Horvat ups his production next year to say 25g 30 assists then fine he is ready for the 2nd line but until then he looks more like our future 3rd line centre to me.

I agree Horvat is not ready for second line duty, at least offensively. He definitely has the potential for it though, but I would put him 2-3 years away from being a lock for 2C.

Ideally for me, Benning goes out and grabs a 2C this offseason. Hank - 2C - Bonino - Horvat would be solid centre depth

I agree Horvat is not ready for second line duty, at least offensively. He definitely has the potential for it though, but I would put him 2-3 years away from being a lock for 2C.

Ideally for me, Benning goes out and grabs a 2C this offseason. Hank - 2C - Bonino - Horvat would be solid centre depth

i think bo is due for a promotion to the third line. Seeing that bonino isnt 1 st 2nd or 4th line material, i wouldn't mind seeing him moved.

I would rather see

Hank 2c Horvat Richardson

Edited by Gooseberries

My suggestion that Horvat would be 2C is based on his accelerated progress this season. Agree that he would not start there but will likely end there if he shows the same improvement. Monahan played top 6 in his rookie season. I simply do not see a C who can beat him out on this roster other than Sedin.

Bonino could come back next fall and play stronger. He plays a fairly good positional game. He seems to be a 1/2 second late on his scoring opportunities. That could change.

This ^^^

Bonino is an adequate 2C (ie: not dominant like a Kesler). If Vrbata wasn't being his usual playoff no-show, we wouldn't even be talking about this IMO. With two good wingers, Bonino wouldn't remotely be a problem IMO. He's extremely competent, just not dominant.

Edited by J.R.