The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

Was not impressed with Markstrom. Sure he let in some bad goals but there are a lot more technical things that i would be concerned with. When he is in the butterfly he is always hunched over, which allows for the shooter to see more net. I also noticed when he is screen is plays on his knees even if the puck is in the high slot, this allows for the top of the net to be exposed and to a shooter, shooting high is a lot more attractive then shooting lower. Another concern was how deep he was playing, sure he is big but when your stance is as hunched over as his is, playing deep just gives shooting more net, I would prefer him to take a more upright stance as it gives the illusion of less net is available since you're head is about 5 feet off the ice and looking down give the impression that there is less net, it also allows a goalie to move laterally quicker as there feet are directionally under them.

FYI I'm a goalie so all these little things are more of a concern to me than the average fan. Goaltending is the hardest position in any sport to play and it;s mental toughness and attention to detail that separates the average from the elite

Was not impressed with Markstrom. Sure he let in some bad goals but there are a lot more technical things that i would be concerned with. When he is in the butterfly he is always hunched over, which allows for the shooter to see more net. I also noticed when he is screen is plays on his knees even if the puck is in the high slot, this allows for the top of the net to be exposed and to a shooter, shooting high is a lot more attractive then shooting lower. Another concern was how deep he was playing, sure he is big but when your stance is as hunched over as his is, playing deep just gives shooting more net, I would prefer him to take a more upright stance as it gives the illusion of less net is available since you're head is about 5 feet off the ice and looking down give the impression that there is less net, it also allows a goalie to move laterally quicker as there feet are directionally under them.

FYI I'm a goalie so all these little things are more of a concern to me than the average fan. Goaltending is the hardest position in any sport to play and it;s mental toughness and attention to detail that separates the average from the elite

I agree with you that Markstrom does play too deep in the net but from everything I read that is where Rollie wants him to play. He is a monster but doesn't always use his size to his advantage. I guess playing deep keeps you in a better position for rebounds and makes you less susceptible to backdoor plays but I would like to see him play more aggressive to the shooter.

Markstrom has bounced back from bad games all year so I expect him to play well on Wednesday.

I agree with you that Markstrom does play too deep in the net but from everything I read that is where Rollie wants him to play. He is a monster but doesn't always use his size to his advantage. I guess playing deep keeps you in a better position for rebounds and makes you less susceptible to backdoor plays but I would like to see him play more aggressive to the shooter.

Markstrom has bounced back from bad games all year so I expect him to play well on Wednesday.

Lundqvist plays right on the goal line and makes reactionary saves as opposed to anticipating, that is what makes him such a good goalie, he has to play like that because he isn't very big. I do agree somewhat with you but look at how Rollie had developed guys in the past Luongo, Schneider, Lack, Price (to a certain extent),Theodore, Huet, and Halak to name a few.

Lundqvist plays right on the goal line and makes reactionary saves as opposed to anticipating, that is what makes him such a good goalie, he has to play like that because he isn't very big. I do agree somewhat with you but look at how Rollie had developed guys in the past Luongo, Schneider, Lack, Price (to a certain extent),Theodore, Huet, and Halak to name a few.

These guys play a lot more agressive than a "goalie line stand" style. They read plays and challenage accordingly, Markstrom is not that good at reading plays and adjusting accordingly

Examples of the style that Markstrom is trying to replicate is Rinne and Lundquist. Both team good defences infront of them so I think Markstrom is going to have to be more aggresive when he get to the NHL.

Edited by Gstank29

Me as well man, its definitely the hardest position. And quarterback. Being a goalie, I hear exactly what your saying. Lack following the puck behind the net is also terrible on a side note ha

Tomorrow's game will teach us all we need to know about Markstorm. First, the goals he let in were horrible. Never should a goaltender let those stinkers in at the AHL level. Second, if Markstorm is planning to ever make the NHL, he needs to learn to make the key save at key moments.(the 2-0 goal was the back breaker for Utica) Third, Markstorm, needs to show up tomorrow, I tell you guys one thing if he loses tomorrow, it will hurt his trading stock. Finally, at the moment Markstorm seems like a goaltender that cracks under pressure, and that is never a good sign for a goaltender. In short, we will learn a-lot about Markstorm tomorrow.

The thing is, it's not like the Barons are outshooting the Utica Comets'. Therefore Markstorm should be able to make the key saves and has one last chance to prove himself.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

Reminds me alot of Bishop. Not only because of his size, but the way he plays.

He's also the type of goalie who can look average in some games, but then bounce back and look like a world beater.

I definitely think we should hold onto Markstrom. The goalie market is too saturated right now anyways, we wouldn't get good value.

• Upvote 1

anyone watch tonights game to see how he bounced back? Obviously I know the results but how was his performance?

Solid confidant and in control is the way I would describe it. During the first couple of minutes at the start of the game he looked like he was fighting the puck a bit but he quickly settled down an was in control the rest of the way.

Markstrom's numbers after a loss are outstanding and tonight he proved again that you want him right back out there for a bounce back performance.

Reminds me alot of Bishop. Not only because of his size, but the way he plays.

He's also the type of goalie who can look average in some games, but then bounce back and look like a world beater.

I definitely think we should hold onto Markstrom. The goalie market is too saturated right now anyways, we wouldn't get good value.

The goalie market seems to be saturated every year now. With "emerging" starters. I honestly can't remember the last time goalies were in high demand.

I think we are in grave danger of losing both our Utica goalies to Europe.

Benning needs to admit he made a mistake and buy out Miller.

while you are at it let's buy out Sbisa Bieska and everyone else on this team. Did Miller play poorly this year? nope he played average. Does he warrant a buy out? no not really.. Can we afford to buy out miller? no.. that's 3mil cap hit penalty per year for 4 years.. unless you are retarded.. you wouldn't even consider a buy out..