The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

13 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

The only way it works is if it's an aging D man.  It would be bold to blow things up and move Miller at this point, so I'd probably take a 2d rounder too.  Cap space!  

A backup goalie, a veteran, right handed #4D and cap space coming back...I'd do it.

1 hour ago, hobart16 said:

Miller is still in the top half of the league as a goalie.  Should be valuable playing the most important position on the ice.  

Except at his price tag, age, and limited NTC that would greatly reduce any trade options, we won't get any significant return for him. He has another year still on his deal as well and unless a team has nothing they can hope for as a goalie in the meantime they won't want to take on his salary beyond this year. If we're moving him next year then who says his play is still good enough to warrant any value? He's good in stretches but also may not mesh as a rental and could have issues as the season wears on.

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

For you. 

I think we will continue to see big things from him this year, opening up a Miller trade at the deadline. Fingers crossed. 

Maybe we trade Marky, keep Miller, and Demko comes up?  Young goalies are making more appearances in the league.

5 hours ago, Qwags said:

Future starter, at least until Demo is ready.

Not sure why everyone has just forgotten about Markstrom's potential since Demko had a good college season.

Wasn't that long ago that Markstrom was considered the best player in the entire AHL.

Having both just ensures the Canucks can rely that position is filled for a good, long time.

• Upvote 1

On June 3, 2016 at 6:06 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

He's already a NHL starter.  To be honest, I think he is equally as good as Martin Jones. 

There's been a ton of middling Swedish goaltenders in the last 10 years, and Marky is definitely a cut above. He could have a very Tommy Salo-esque career - clearcut number one teetering on Allstar territory, but not quite franchise level. It will take a lot for Demko to dethrone him... but I still think he will, only because the kid is that good.

3 minutes ago, nergish said:

There's been a ton of middling Swedish goaltenders in the last 10 years, and Marky is definitely a cut above. He could have a very Tommy Salo-esque career - clearcut number one teetering on Allstar territory, but not quite franchise level. It will take a lot for Demko to dethrone him... but I still think he will, only because the kid is that good.

Competition brings out the best.  Cue the next goal tending controversy and hope things brings us the Jennings and a possible Vezina when Demko and Markstrom share the pipes in Vancouver.  

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Competition brings out the best.  Cue the next goal tending controversy and hope things brings us the Jennings and a possible Vezina when Demko and Markstrom share the pipes in Vancouver.  

Yeah, I totally agree. Demko's transition to the pro game is coming at the most perfect time. He and Markstrom are literally battling for the same position, which is a longterm position for Vancouver.

I have a tough time with the term "goaltending controversy" though. Even if Demko forces JB and Willie's hands and takes over, it won't be a "controversy".

Right now we have two goalies that are pretty close in Miller and Marky. If Marky supplants Miller, it won't be a controversy, it will be growth.

Then we will have a young, highly-touted prospect in Demko backing up Marky. If Demko simply outplays Marky and takes over, it won't be a controversy because there was never a "plan". We never once said: "Markstrom is our guy and we're sticking with him".

The only reason the Luongo:Schneider thing was a "controversy" was because we signed Roberto to a decade-spanning contract and had him on the side of the arena. He was OUR guy and he knew it. We made promises to the guy. Then Schneider was slow-roasted to perfection and came up with the belief that he could outplay anybody, even the guy plastered on the side of Rogers. He was right. If Schneider was only as good as Eddie Lack, he would have been our backup for years. But he wasn't. He was a starting netminder and arguably better than our franchise goalie. It is a controversy when you have to tell your lead horse that a younger, faster horse has come up and it's time to hand over the reigns. 

Then of course Gillis botched everything and tried to pretend like Roberto was still the guy. He knew Cory was better, he was absolutely in favour of starting Cory ahead of Lou. But he couldn't move Lou and figured he was still "good enough" to be our goalie if we could trade Cory for something decent. Which we did. But then we had a grumpy Luongo and it was a mess.

But how quick of a turnaround! Now we have one more year of Miller (who has been a classy guy from the start and played well to bridge the gap), then Marky (who has played his way into the fans' hearts and is primed for the starting role), and Demko (who is one of premier goaltending prospects on the planet, and could conceivably be the best player on this team at some point down the road).

• Upvote 3