The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

Right...a 24 year old on a hot streak (as compared to a 29 year old on a streak) who may or may not break a shut out record is enough to say conclusively that the kid is going to be a future star or not? So what happens if Markstrom doesn't break the record as a 24 year old? He's not going to be a future star? That's some mystical logic.

Sure hope that you're not forecasting anything of any real importance for the general public.

Markstrom, in the context of his coach-ability, physical attributes, desire to improve his game, mindset, and performance are what gives him the shot at being a potential star...not whether he breaks a record at the young age of 24 or not. The streak is evidence that in the early stages of the new season, he's on the right track. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nevertheless, it is very encouraging considering how highly he has been regarded in the past. He is playing very well and that is all we can expect from him, he would not be near that streak if he wasn't. It's a good sign. It's a just good start, like you said, but it is exciting to see him play to his potential and be at he very top of his league, regardless of how early it is.

Edited by Canorth

Boucher's lasting legacy...record will probably stand the test of time for a long while.

How about the rest of Boucher's NHL stats?

16 years pro in North America, GP: 328 W: 120 L: 139 T: 30 OTL: 25 SO: 17. He looked liked someone who was going to be special, but ended up having a nice career as a back up goalie with a few years where he shared the starting role.

Hope that's not what is in store for Markstrom.

Not sure how those stats suggest he was supposed to be something special.

Just because Markstrom and Boucher are on similar streaks doesn't mean their outcomes will be the same. The only reason I compared the two was to show that there is no relevance between the them since 'Higor hill' said that AHL stats don't matter. Which is nonsense because how else do people get noticed In the minors if they don't play well? It doesn't mean it will translate to the NHL but it still very impressive.

But whatever he is playing awesome and that's all that matters

Edited by Canorth

Clearly people here talking about barry brust have never seen the guy play.

Barry made Tim Thomas look like a technical genius. The two are night and day. Markstrom is stopping the puck due to his athletic ability and newfound structure in his game.

Barry Brust stops the puck due to throwing his body at the player and having a ridiculous hotstreak(ala david honzik). Anyone with any goaltending acumen would know that Brust has little to no concept of angles, spacing, or economy of motion.

I'm just glad teams passed on him when he was on waivers. Some teams were very dumb to do so like Dallas cause lindback is awful. This is why I thought the miller signing was unnecessary and we should have rolled with a lack/miller combo. Miller is going to be untradeable with his no trade clause and I fear the canucks may trade lack instead like they did with Schneider.

Writing is on the wall for Lack, sucks since I am a big fan but Benning is looking at Markstrom/Demko in the future instead of lack I think.

Markstrom has had some very strong seasons in the AHL before, but maybe he has started to take things to the next level?

Has the size to be an imposing goalies like a Rinne or Bishop. Still under club control after this season because he is an RFA.

We have some injury insurance in net at the very least.

Just talked with Utica Comets goalie Jacob Markstrom who has not allowed a goal in 232 minutes and 13 seconds.
Markstrom : "The streak is a fun thing but the most important thing is that we are winning, I feel real good and comfortable here".
Markstrom : "I could have pouted or worked hard when I came here, I worked hard. You can't pout."
Markstrom : "Dan Cloutier has been down here twice, him and Rollie coach the same way, Dan tells you the small things you don't notice".

Looking forward to seeing Markstrom's next game. So far Green has rotated starts with Markstrom and Eriksson. If he stays with that then Eriksson gets the game Wednesday in Binghamton (Senators), Markstrom Friday in Utica against Binghamton and back to Eriksson on Saturday in Adirondack (Flames).

Markstrom has generally been projected as a franchise goalie. For whatever reason, he's never been able to put it together at the NHL level. I don't know if Florida ever really spent enough time working with him, while he was playing in the AHL.

Canucks currently have 2 goalie coaches (Cloutier and Rollie) alternating on spending time with him in Utica. If they can put his development back on track (its looking like they have), we might have a solid franchise goalie on our hands for the next 10 years. If that turns out to be the case, let's really hope that the fans don't run this one into the ground for ever single mistake or bad game he has.

Every goalie in the Hall of Fame was blown out on occasion. Fans in Vancouver, unfortunately, often forget that!

Markstrom has generally been projected as a franchise goalie. For whatever reason, he's never been able to put it together at the NHL level. I don't know if Florida ever really spent enough time working with him, while he was playing in the AHL.

Canucks currently have 2 goalie coaches (Cloutier and Rollie) alternating on spending time with him in Utica. If they can put his development back on track (its looking like they have), we might have a solid franchise goalie on our hands for the next 10 years. If that turns out to be the case, let's really hope that the fans don't run this one into the ground for ever single mistake or bad game he has.

Every goalie in the Hall of Fame was blown out on occasion. Fans in Vancouver, unfortunately, often forget that!

I really hope we can make something out of him. He has a lot of promise and it appears his game has begun a new. If Markstrom can be half as good as his potential he will be equal to that of Lack. Eddie has worked really hard but if Markstrom can live up to his form he can only pass Eddie. As much as I love Eddies attitude :) .

I hope Eddie does well in his next game though. I wish only the best for our guys.

• Upvote 1

hqdefault.jpg

Love Lack as a goalie and as a personality. He has a great demeanor, and seems to be a great teammate.

That being said, I don't see him as a franchise goalie. I see him as a solid backup who can win you games when he gets the call.

Markstrom may never reach his potential as a franchise goalie, but I'd like to see us see things through with him and take that chance. The ability is clearly there, he just needs the right coaching and development, and he has the potential to do great things.

• Upvote 1

http://www.uticacomets.com/markstrom-named-ccmahl-player-of-the-week/

Home / Comets News / Markstrom Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week

Markstrom Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week

The American Hockey League announced today that Utica Comets goaltender Jacob Markstromhas been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Oct. 26, 2014.

Markstrom continued his remarkable start to the 2014-15 season by stopping all 56 opponent shots in a pair of Comets victories last week.

Entering the week with just one goal against in two games, Markstrom got the call in Utica’s home opener on Wednesday night and made 29 saves to backstop the Comets to a 3-0 win over Adirondack. Then on Saturday, Markstrom turned aside 27 shots for his third consecutive shutout as Utica blanked Toronto, 4-0.

For the season, Markstrom has stopped 108 of the first 109 shots he has faced, good for a 4-0-0 record, a 0.25 goals-against average and a .991 save percentage. His current shutout streak of 232 minutes, 13 seconds, is less than two periods shy of the all-time AHL record held by Barry Brust (268:17).

A second-round pick (31st overall) by Florida in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Markstrom owns a record of 65-58-7 with a 2.57 GAA, a .919 save percentage and 10 shutouts in 135 career AHL appearances with Utica, San Antonio and Rochester. The 24-year-old native of Gavle, Sweden, has also played 47 games in the National Hockey League with Florida and Vancouver.

Markstrom was acquired by the Canucks in the Mar. 4, 2014, trade that sent Roberto Luongo to the Panthers.

In recognition of his achievement, Markstrom will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Comets home game.

awesome

Edited by 2SKATES1STICK