The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

Given (1) how much closer Lack is in his development, (2) Markstrom's pedigree, and (3) how long we've signed Miller for, it seems reasonable to suspect that Benning is trying to showcase Lack and keep Markstrom instead.

Miller's Contract year 1: Miller is the starter, Lack gets some games - Lack traded by deadline

Miller's Contract year 2: Miller is the starter, Markstrom gets some games

Miller's Contract year 3: Miller and Markstrom split the net

Year 4: Miller is not re-signed, Markstrom is the starting goaltender, Cannata is the backup, Demko joins Utica

I agree with your timeline and reasoning behind it, however when Markstrom hypothetically takes over the starting role, he will be backed up by a veteran tender, not another rookie in Cannata.

I've followed Cannata since he was the backbone of his Merrimack team, but the depth in the Canucks organization has stymied his growth due to a lack of starts and battles with consistency.

If he is going to develop into a NHL goaltender, he'll need to rip it up in the ECHL this year, and hope for either Eriksson heading back to Sweden or a trade to an organization that believes he can start in the AHL immediately.

I watched the game last night.

Markstrom's positioning is solid, always in a position to make an easy save; when the play invariably breaks down and he has to scramble, his athleticism shines, enabling him to make some very reactionary and acrobatic saves.

The Canucks management were right to shoo him into the AHL after an un-televised, pre-season performance because had management/scouts from around the league seen his progression they would have undoubtedly plucked him off waivers.

It's my belief that Lack is trade bait, and will be showcased this year up until the trade deadline and moved in a package to get some young blueline depth that is NHL ready, or young T6 depth, recalling Markstrom. Markstrom will then serve under Miller until either a) he is traded in the last year of his contract, or B) leaves via free-agency leaving Markstrom to take over.

When this happens, Markstrom will be 27/28 and just entering his prime as a goaltender.

Demko is a good 8-9 years from entering his prime as a goaltender, so Markstrom fills that gap nicely.

Just to add to your analysis. I was at the game last night and have seen all of the Comets previous games streamed on the computer. I am extremely impressed with Markstom's game right now.

First he is huge and uses his size to his advantage by being able to play deep in the crease and yet cover so much net when in the butterfly position. Everything that he does is controlled and quiet. Pretty much never see him flopping around out of control. His rebound control has been exceptional and when he does have one come back out he seems to always direct it toward a Comet defender which starts a break out.

His positioning has been flawless and is always square to the puck including lateral movements on cross ice passes in deep.

In addition to all of that he looks to be much better than average at puck handling which Comets goalies have struggled at. Cannata is brutal and Eriksson can be an adventure as well.

He is completely in a zone right now and he just makes playing the position look easy. I know it is impossible to keep at the level he is currently playing at but I sure hope that it lasts a little longer.

Saw his game against san antonio, he's been playing like he's got something to prove.

Agreed that it would be horrible to lose him to another team because he was the bulk of what we got in the Luongo trade. I think it would be better to have a Lack and Markstrom tandem maybe after this year or midway through next season.

Miller's going to fetch a bigger return than either of them in the next few years, it doesn't make sense losing Miller to free agency when we can deal him for an asset. With a Lack and Markstrom tandem, we can showcase both goalies and increase the return on either of them, maybe another top 10 pick.

Saw his game against san antonio, he's been playing like he's got something to prove.

Agreed that it would be horrible to lose him to another team because he was the bulk of what we got in the Luongo trade. I think it would be better to have a Lack and Markstrom tandem maybe after this year or midway through next season.

Miller's going to fetch a bigger return than either of them in the next few years, it doesn't make sense losing Miller to free agency when we can deal him for an asset. With a Lack and Markstrom tandem, we can showcase both goalies and increase the return on either of them, maybe another top 10 pick.

I highly doubt we could get a better return for Miller..

His stock has been dropping rapidly ever since the Blues trade. Buffalo got a really good return for him considering how much his performance has dropped from say a year ago..

I think we might move Lack as he seems to be the one with the most value. Keep Markstrom and Demko and see who is better between them.

I think we have the potential to see 4 star goalies (Lu, etc..) being traded in a five year span

Edited by drummer4now

Given (1) how much closer Lack is in his development, (2) Markstrom's pedigree, and (3) how long we've signed Miller for, it seems reasonable to suspect that Benning is trying to showcase Lack and keep Markstrom instead.

Miller's Contract year 1: Miller is the starter, Lack gets some games - Lack traded by deadline

Miller's Contract year 2: Miller is the starter, Markstrom gets some games

Miller's Contract year 3: Miller and Markstrom split the net

Year 4: Miller is not re-signed, Markstrom is the starting goaltender, Cannata is the backup, Demko joins Utica

This makes sense the way you laid it out. We will see what happens. I really like Eddies attitude but this is about winning championships. I just hope whoever we keep is the player with the stronger mental focus and natural talent. You want a goalie who wants to win and craves to win. We haven't really seen Eddie put in a situation where hes been really tested. The final stretch in last year isnt something I'd consider a fair test. He seems super serious during the game. Time will tell. Hope Markstrom keeps it up. Having tough choices only betters our chance at a return. At the end of the day I'll trust what JB,WD, and TL believe is the best business decision for now and in the future.

I highly doubt we could get a better return for Miller..

His stock has been dropping rapidly ever since the Blues trade. Buffalo got a really good return for him considering how much his performance has dropped from say a year ago..

I think we might move Lack as he seems to be the one with the most value. Keep Markstrom and Demko and see who is better between them.

I think we have the potential to see 4 star goalies (Lu, etc..) being traded in a five year span

At least it's better than having no star goaltender in a decade like TOR..

I'd say Miller is still a star goaltender. The sample size this year and last year in STL is too small to write him off as past his prime IMO, especially when the whole team is trying to adjust to WD's system at the moment. There are going to be blown covers and some weird bounces through the first quarter (maybe half) of the season.

We should see what we have in Miller more as the second half of the season nears.

Luongo, Schneider, Lack, Markstrom, Miller - we've been pretty lucky I would say.

I agree with your timeline and reasoning behind it, however when Markstrom hypothetically takes over the starting role, he will be backed up by a veteran tender, not another rookie in Cannata.

I've followed Cannata since he was the backbone of his Merrimack team, but the depth in the Canucks organization has stymied his growth due to a lack of starts and battles with consistency.

If he is going to develop into a NHL goaltender, he'll need to rip it up in the ECHL this year, and hope for either Eriksson heading back to Sweden or a trade to an organization that believes he can start in the AHL immediately.

You're probably right - it'd be nice to have a Budaj-equivalent backing up Markstrom a few years down the road if we choose to go with Jacob.

From Botchford:

Rollie Melanson is fairly pleased thus far with how Jacob Markstrom has fared in Utica, giving up just one goal in three games, with a .988 save percentage, while currently enjoying a scoreless streak of 172 minutes and 33 seconds

I doubt theres anyone who knows where Markstroms at right now more than Melanson. Hes big time bullish on Markstrom after all the work the pair have put in and is confident he is poised to surprise people who doubt he can have a long, successful NHL career as a starter.

He says he reminds him a lot of Ben Bishop.

Miller being traded this year or next year is not out of the question. Penguins this year strike me as a potential destination for Miller.

It's great that Markstrom is playing so well, hopefully he can really grow this year and stay making an impact in the NHL soon.

• Upvote 1

What I like is that this is increasing his trade value..if he is setting the AHL on fire..he will be a good chip.

We need a puck moving D.

With these type of performances It will be better to trade Miller to a contender at the trade deadline if a team is in need of a tender. Go with Lack and Marky the Swedish chefs.

What I like is that this is increasing his trade value..if he is setting the AHL on fire..he will be a good chip.

We need a puck moving D.

Kind of hard to give him up though. Especially at his age. I'd rather see Lack have a few good starts to increase his value in a package or something.

Edited by Canorth