The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

the worse the goalie the better the coach.

I think that's generally the case for any players who become coaches. Goalies or otherwise.

Talented players who the game might come more naturally to, don't have to study the game as hard as a fringe guy clawing and scraping away at staying in the game. That's not to say that talented players don't work hard but less talented ones have to work harder and learn more than someone with less natural talent who relies more on instinct.

Not so necessary in a deep draft.

Lack + to a team that needs it would get us possibly into the top 20.

Such a frigging burn that we are the deepest team in the league at the ONE position that literally has no serious use for depth at all. Imagine if we had this depth at RW, LW or even D.

Frigging goaltending depth...

Lack + to a team that needs it would get us possibly into the top 20.

Such a frigging burn that we are the deepest team in the league at the ONE position that literally has no serious use for depth at all. Imagine if we had this depth at RW, LW or even D.

Frigging goaltending depth...

At least we won't have to draft any goalies any time soon.

Now we can focus on drafting defensemen and right wingers

• Upvote 2

yes, if markstrom is recalled at any time he would be lost on waivers if we were to send him back down. eriksson is the safer recall

Agreed! The only way that Markstrom is recalled by Vancouver is if Lack has been traded. I can see that as a possibility, but I don't think there's anything imminent in next couple of months.

I thought a player wouldn't have to pass through waivers again as long as the call up was less than 30 days or 10 games.

unless there is a new provision in the new CBA that i don't know about, that's only for when the player clears waivers and isn't sent down to the farm team right away.

Edited by avelanch

I don't think we should call up Markstrom, even if we trade Lack. I think it would be much better for his development to dominate the AHL and see if he can't backstop Utica to make a serious run at the Calder Cup.

I don't think we should call up Markstrom, even if we trade Lack. I think it would be much better for his development to dominate the AHL and see if he can't backstop Utica to make a serious run at the Calder Cup.

That's why I want to move Lack at the Draft. Give Markstrom the season in the AHL and let him dominate.

• Upvote 1

unless there is a new provision in the new CBA that i don't know about, that's only for when the player clears waivers and isn't sent down to the farm team right away.

When I Google - Explanation of NHL Waiver Rules - I get this....

Q: What about players that bounce frequently between different leagues? Do they need to clear waivers every time they are sent down?

A: No, a player need not clear waivers if the following three conditions are satisfied.

i) The player has already cleared waivers once in the current season

ii) Since the last time the player cleared waivers he has not played in 10 or more NHL games.

iii) Since the last time the player cleared waivers he has not spent 30 or more days on an NHL roster.

• Upvote 1

When I Google - Explanation of NHL Waiver Rules - I get this....

Q: What about players that bounce frequently between different leagues? Do they need to clear waivers every time they are sent down?

A: No, a player need not clear waivers if the following three conditions are satisfied.

i) The player has already cleared waivers once in the current season

ii) Since the last time the player cleared waivers he has not played in 10 or more NHL games.

iii) Since the last time the player cleared waivers he has not spent 30 or more days on an NHL roster.

That sounds like he could go back and forth without having to clear waivers as long as it is less than 10games or 30 days

I doubt any goalie gets traded this year, imo. I believe this year is for Benning and Co. assess what they have, and next year we will be seeing bigger changes. We are talking new management and a bunch of new players, this is why I believe there wont be any major pieces moved, unless its a cant miss deal.

If we all think back to when Benning signed Miller, it was very clear of the fact that he didnt think Lack was ready to be the number one and said he brought Miller in to be that calming verteran presence, and thats exactly what he has been. With Miller's 3 year contract that gives them time to evaluate, to be sure either Markstrom or Lack will be ready to take on bigger roles.

Of course, depending on how things go, Miller could be moved at any time to make room for Markstrom and have a duo of him and Lack. If they are both developing at a good pace and one looks like they could truely take over the number one position then that makes Miller the expendable one, and I think this has been Benning's plan all along.

To me it makes nothing but sense. Sign a proven guy to hold the fort until the young guys are ready. With the limited NTC that Miller has, it makes him movable.

Time will tell, but Miller could be the one on the way out eventually, not Lack or Markstrom.

I doubt any goalie gets traded this year, imo. I believe this year is for Benning and Co. assess what they have, and next year we will be seeing bigger changes. We are talking new management and a bunch of new players, this is why I believe there wont be any major pieces moved, unless its a cant miss deal.

If we all think back to when Benning signed Miller, it was very clear of the fact that he didnt think Lack was ready to be the number one and said he brought Miller in to be that calming verteran presence, and thats exactly what he has been. With Miller's 3 year contract that gives them time to evaluate, to be sure either Markstrom or Lack will be ready to take on bigger roles.

Of course, depending on how things go, Miller could be moved at any time to make room for Markstrom and have a duo of him and Lack. If they are both developing at a good pace and one looks like they could truely take over the number one position then that makes Miller the expendable one, and I think this has been Benning's plan all along.

To me it makes nothing but sense. Sign a proven guy to hold the fort until the young guys are ready. With the limited NTC that Miller has, it makes him movable.

Time will tell, but Miller could be the one on the way out eventually, not Lack or Markstrom.

Conclusion: anything is possible.