The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

I have a feeling Lack will be moved. As much as he is a funny a great teammate, Miller adds stability and really his ability to up his game helps the confidence, and Markstrom's ceiling is a lot higher than Lack's.

We all knew Benning liked Markstrom and knew his potential which is evident of why he sent Markstrom down early and hid him away during the preseason like a coveted toy.

TBH I really want a swedish duo in net and rather trade Miller, but that probably wont happen.

I have a feeling Lack will be moved. As much as he is a funny a great teammate, Miller adds stability and really his ability to up his game helps the confidence, and Markstrom's ceiling is a lot higher than Lack's.

We all knew Benning liked Markstrom and knew his potential which is evident of why he sent Markstrom down early and hid him away during the preseason like a coveted toy.

TBH I really want a swedish duo in net and rather trade Miller, but that probably wont happen.

It will probably be at the draft that Lack gets moved. Hopefully we can move up in the 1st round out of it.

If Markstrom shows the signs of being a solid NHL goaltender, than it would definitely make sense to move Lack or Miller at some point. Lack would probably be the easier of the two to move, especially if it's as soon as next year.

That being said, Markstrom has done well at the AHL level before, he's just never been able to play solidly in the NHL. Rollie and Co. are undoing a lot of damage done in Florida where Markstrom was essentially expected to develop on his own. I think they'll be able to get him back on track, but I'm am unsure as to what extent they can correct Florida's mistakes.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/10/28/melanson-on-markstrom-shutout-streak-im-not-surprised/

Not sure if link is mobile. If so, I'm sorry. Article is about Markstrom from Melanson.

“I think Jacob is going to be an NHL goalie, and an NHL goalie soon. It might even happen before the end of the year... We’re also extremely happy that some people were sleeping and allowed him to go through waivers because he’s a huge asset for us.”

B)

Rather sounds like he's in their plans.

“I think Jacob is going to be an NHL goalie, and an NHL goalie soon. It might even happen before the end of the year... We’re also extremely happy that some people were sleeping and allowed him to go through waivers because he’s a huge asset for us.”

B)

Rather sounds like he's in their plans.

You forgot this part

"I think coming to Vancouver might have been the best thing for his career.”

• Upvote 1

Markstrom : "Dan Cloutier has been down here twice, him and Rollie coach the same way, Dan tells you the small things you don't notice".

I still don't understand why people are so hard on Cloutier as a goaltender consultant. Was he the best goaltender to ever lace them up? Nope, definitely not. However, you don't have to be the physical best at something to understand the mechanics and how-tos of a position. Playing ability and teaching ability don't always go hand in hand. It's like how Gretzky was the best to play, and an incredibly mediocre coach.

Cloutier sounds like he's doing a fine job.

You forgot this part

"I think coming to Vancouver might have been the best thing for his career.”

Honestly, it's nice to hear a lot of confidence in our organization and prospects for once.

Edited by BananaMash

Trade lack + to a goalie less team for a 1st

That depends though if teams need goaltending and if Lack has been playing well.

If that was the case i'd use Lack and our 1st to move up in the 1st round hopefully top 10.

That's wishful thinking though.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Not so necessary in a deep draft.

Hence why I said

That depends though if teams need goaltending and if Lack has been playing well.

If that was the case i'd use Lack and our 1st to move up in the 1st round hopefully top 10.

That's wishful thinking though.

I would rather the Canucks move Miller instead of either Lack or Markstrom. Elite goaltending is definitely important, but I feel the Canucks should do a 1A 1B kinda situation, much like how the Wild had both Fernandez/Roloson or Backstrom/Harding.

We aren't trading Miller. He's the stop gap for Markstrom. I don't trust Lack yet as a starter. I need a veteran presence back there so I can feel comfortable with our goaltending.

I still don't understand why people are so hard on Cloutier as a goaltender consultant. Was he the best goaltender to ever lace them up? Nope, definitely not. However, you don't have to be the physical best at something to understand the mechanics and how-tos of a position. Playing ability and teaching ability don't always go hand in hand. It's like how Gretzky was the best to play, and an incredibly mediocre coach.

Cloutier sounds like he's doing a fine job.

Honestly, it's nice to hear a lot of confidence in our organization and prospects for once.

Cloutier was a much better goalie than Melanson was

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter
  • Upvote 1

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/10/28/melanson-on-markstrom-shutout-streak-im-not-surprised/

Not sure if link is mobile. If so, I'm sorry. Article is about Markstrom from Melanson.

A quote from the article:

“He was looking for answers and he was looking for a plan and we tried to do that for him,” Melanson said. “As you see with a big frame like he has at 6-6, he just needs to be playing in the middle of the blue ice and let the game come to him – and that’s what he is doing.”

I wonder what the goalie coach situation was like in Florida - if they even have one. It really seems like Markstrom was on his own in terms of development. Now that we have two guys working with him, we're seeing glimpses of his true potential.

I'm wondering if Miller or Lack get injured, hope not "knock on wood", and we recalled Markstrom. Once the injured goalie comes back, do Markstrom has to go through waivers again if we send him back down?

I think if it's not for a long, there can be an emergency call-up and maybe he wouldn't have to go through waivers again once returned to Utica, but if the injury is a few weeks/months? How does it work?

Would the Canucks recall Eriksson instead of Markstrom, despite his stellar play, in fear of losing him through waivers?

Edited by timberz21