The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft 2014 - First Round Pick

VegasCanuck

Would be sweet if a guy like Nylander shinkaruks his way down to us at 11-12th. Ranked 5th or something on iss right now. Might be time to start looking at risk reward guys.

Nylander could very well be out of the top 10, and in many lists I see him in the 10-15 slot. He plays in Sweden so it's hard to judge him vs. North America competition, and like many recent drafts the lack of European scouting could mean he falls. I mean in 2012, Filip Forsberg fell to 11th, Hertl to 17th, and Teravainen to 18th. These were all top ranked European skaters, who are now steals with where they went. I assume this is why FLA took Barkov at 2, so they didn't risk missing a steal. However, even if he falls to us at, let's say 10th, and Perlini, Ritchie or Fleury are still available, i'd rather take one of them.

Nylander could very well be out of the top 10, and in many lists I see him in the 10-15 slot. He plays in Sweden so it's hard to judge him vs. North America competition, and like many recent drafts the lack of European scouting could mean he falls. I mean in 2012, Filip Forsberg fell to 11th, Hertl to 17th, and Teravainen to 18th. These were all top ranked European skaters, who are now steals with where they went. I assume this is why FLA took Barkov at 2, so they didn't risk missing a steal. However, even if he falls to us at, let's say 10th, and Perlini, Ritchie or Fleury are still available, i'd rather take one of them.

For sure, me too but if those guys are gone I'd rather take a chance on high skill over another 2 way centre.

Honestly, I would be ecstatic if we get any pick in the top-16 (which seems most likely).

In order: Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, Virtanen, Perlini, Dal Colle, Ritchie, Kapanen, Fleury, Ehlers, Nylander, Kempe (severely underrated), Honka, Tuch, and Ho-Sang are all prospects I would be happy with drafting.

These are all prospects I really like. The rest I am not too sold on.

Obviously I would prefer the prospect left that's highest on my list, but I wouldn't be upset if we picked any of these guys. I got a good feeling about this drat for the Canucks.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Tomas Hertl was picked a bit higher than where he was expected to go.

My issue with Nylander is he is quoted as being fairly soft, even for a Swedish league. Much like his dad apparently. After the lockout his dad had his best years before the sport got physical again. not what this team needs. Another softy

My issue with Nylander is he is quoted as being fairly soft, even for a Swedish league. Much like his dad apparently. After the lockout his dad had his best years before the sport got physical again. not what this team needs. Another softy

How many "softies" do we really have lined up for nylanders era though? Gaunce Horvat Kassian Jensen Cassels Shinkaruk Fox Grenier seem to be our forward youth pool and all of them either have size and/or some tenacity.. Top end talent is what we're really missing. He may have soft issues but ISS still has him in the top 5, to me that says something.

I'd hate to pass on the kid of he fell to us in the 11-15 range only to take yet another 2way centre and watch Nylander become a consistent 90 point player.

we don't know if trades in the summer net us more 1st round picks.....if we end up out of the playoffs, we could move up further

when the order is picked...i believe we can move up 3 or 4 spots on the roll of the ping pong balls,,,,so if we end up in 24th place,

we could up to 3rd or 4th pick.....and if we end up with another 1st rounder we might be able trade up further.

I think a lot of people for get there is a lottery system.

Archived