The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tortorella: "As a coach, this is my responsibility"

TheRussianRocket.

I completely disagree. Yea contracts are a bit pricy but don't shoot us in the foot. They're out franchise players and best to lace up the skates for this team. They will be mentors nearing the end of the career and can still chip in offensively; it's just been an off year for them and case in point is everyone is having an off year. Trade away the Sedin's = Oilers 2.0, have no one to help the kids develop.

Look at the Sharks for instance, they were at a point where everyone wanted Thornton and Marleau gone and wanted to pass the torch onto other players but management kept them and it's worked beautifully. They are still contributing, helping the kids, and have a lot of promise.

While you could be correct that could also just be hopeless optimism. While it is possible it isn't common.

Despite some freaks of nature age will ultimately catch everyone and with the majority of NHL players it starts to catch them around 32 and beyond. Next season the Sedin's will be 34.

When you look at the top 30 scorers in the NHL only 7 of them are 30 years old or older. (Sharp, Thornton, St. Louis, Kunitz, Marleau, Jagr, and Vanek)

Only 3 of those players are in the top 20 in scoring. (Sharp, Thornton, St. Louis)

Zero of those players are in the top 10.

While it certainly is possible for Henrik to break 51 points again (his current point pace) and Daniel to break 16 goals (his current pace) to think that they will be franchise talents again and elite scorers may be wishful thinking. The only thing more common than ugly long slumps is declining due to age in your mid 30's.

wth is wrong with you? Think this just proves you have a very minimal understanding about the Canucks.

1.) Dank: this year - 40 points in 63 games....Hank: this year - 41 points in 59 games...not so bad especially considering they've been on a long ass slump as of late and still have those many points. And yea it is 'one bad season'.

Dank:

2012 - 40 PTS in 47 games

2011 - 67 PTS in 72 games

2010 - 104 PTS in 82 games

2009 - 85 PTS in 63 games

2008 - 82 PTS in 82 games

2007 - 74 PTS in 82 games

2006 - 84 PTS in 81 games

2005 - 71 PTS in 82 games

Hank:

2012 - 45 PTS in 48 games

2011 - 81 PTS in 82 games

2010 - 94 PTS in 82 games

2009 - 112 PTS in 82 games

2008 - 82 PTS in 82 games

2007 - 76 PTS in 82 games

2006 - 81 PTS in 82 games

2005 - 75 PTS in 82 games

....wait, according to you, they've had more than 'one bad season'.

2.) :picard: ....they've had chemistry with every player that's ever played with them and made them look like allstars. They make that player get chemistry...Carter, Burrows, Bulis, Klatt, King, Samuelsson are just a few of the numerous guys they've played with and successfully find chemistry with...

That's enough to say the least...don't want to be associated with your lack of knowledge anymore than I have. Cya later..

I am truly devastated. Really. You, the renowned Russian Rocket, with your years of experience won't commiserate with me..... Damn.

Actually, that's exactly what he is.

I seriously don't mean or intend to pick on him personally but he is the absolute epitome of some of the bi-polar/knee-jerk emotional outburst mentality here on CDC.

Here he is in November gaga for Torts..."great coach"..."weaving magic"..."flourishing system" etc...

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/353152-tortorella-and-the-team-identity/page__p__11766482#entry11766482

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/356003-report-torts-suspended-6-games/page__st__120__p__11917838#entry11917838

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/355942-collective-feeling-on-torts-antics/page__st__120__p__11914453#entry11914453

The above was in January.

Now here we are in March and I saw this very same guy talking about how Torts is a Riverview escapee. That's basically what he said...Riverview and all...And of course there is more...

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/357969-gdt-saturday-vs-calgary/page__st__60__p__12017138#entry12017138

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/358099-gdt-nyi-031014-700pm/page__st__720__p__12024167#entry12024167

Personally, I find the psychology of it all to be just fascinating.

So I've talked to my lawyer and you need to remain 100 feet away at all times. It was flattering at first, but now it's just creepy.

I sure hope they don't fire you when you fail to meet up to expectations, regardless of the cause .. on second thought .. practice what you preach .. just quit!

Ah Tearloch,

Thespian of the CDC. I don't know what it is about your posts but they make me really sleepy.

Ones who blame torts for all this mess needs a wake up slap. When our team roster is put against the California ones, you'll soon see we are currently at a MASSIVE disadvantage EVEN if we are in the playoffs.Lookat our 2nd,3rd,4th line compare to lets say Kings or even Hawks.

Fire MG!

#RoryforGM

It's hard to judge how Tort's is running the team, with the diminishing returns Gillis continues to provide. Nice to see someone in the Canucks Management take responsibility and answer questions.

there's always someone who has to take the heat. looks like a way to throw torts under the bus for management's **** ups. i'm almost certain torts is done at the end of the year so management can save face-- so it really doesn't matter whether you blame torts or not.

some blame has to go to the ahl calibur line up in front of him, but it starts at the top

Ones who blame torts for all this mess needs a wake up slap. When our team roster is put against the California ones, you'll soon see we are currently at a MASSIVE disadvantage EVEN if we are in the playoffs.Lookat our 2nd,3rd,4th line compare to lets say Kings or even Hawks.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000392007.html

that's the team vigneault coached to a division title and second round of the playoffs.

Can't blame the coach when the Sedins went goalless for half the year along with Burr. To an extent, the coach can try to compensate, but the problem hasn't been the callups, the 4th line, the 3rd line, the marginal players.

The problem has been the first line.

Coaching is most effective and noticeable with the marginal folks. And Torts has done just that, got Canucks scoring from pretty much everywhere.

In the end, the players haven't stepped up. That's not the fault of Gillis, or Torts. You put them in a position where they can succeed or fail, and they do just that, succeed or fail.

I disagree Torts coached his top line for blocking shots burrows got hurt and the top players no longer focusing on what they do well.

The biggest problem is respect how can you respect torts when he comes to Van saying heis turning over a new leaf and wont be freaking out.?Then midway thru the season he freaks out in cgy. Would have been better if at the begining of the season had said "hey I am what I am". but now he has lost acountabilty, respect and left me wondering if he even knows what he is doing?

if it was mike gilis that brought Torts here then I guess they should both go.

any player talk about how they feel about the coach should be taken with a grain of salt

Exactly.

I can't believe how many posts it took for someone to finally get to the heart of the matter.

Yes, the core is in decay and yes, MG has failed to make the hard decisions over the last 2 seasons to prevent this from happening, but at the end of the day, the coach's job is to put the players he has today in the best position to win.

Torts won't be fired by the end of the season or before it. Book it, someone quote me on it and put it in the sig. If he is indeed fired, it'll be at the end of next year. It'd be stupid and ridiculous to cut a coach loose that quick and would worsen the organization and team.

Even then I doubt he will cause the focus will be on retool and there won't be as much pressure to win and be a top team.

Torts won't be fired by the end of the season or before it. Book it, someone quote me on it and put it in the sig. If he is indeed fired, it'll be at the end of next year. It'd be stupid and ridiculous to cut a coach loose that quick and would worsen the organization and team.

Even then I doubt he will cause the focus will be on retool and there won't be as much pressure to win and be a top team.

While you could be correct I don't see the logic Coaches have been fired after 1 season before.

Plus and the question I am most interested in hearing your answer... if he could be fired at the end of next season how could keeping him now be a benefit?

Bifl6syIcAAa98O.jpg

Torts addressing the media and fans about the teams latest gaffe in this indescribable stretch since January. Talking about coaching, goaltending, the team as a whole, ownership, management...from the top down, the complete thing and the plan for the rest of the season.

...this is why Torts isn't going to be fired anytime soon. He's just the coach, he can only do so much and the players are the ones playing. People asking for his head are clearly dumbfounded. When we had that spectacular December, he was our saviour and now all of a sudden because we are losing he's the villain? Oh come on, screw your heads on right.

If you expect a new coach asap because of a specific stretch of hockey and continue making knee-jerk reactions and emotional comments, clearly you aren't one to comment. We'll be following the Oilers path then with 4 coaches in 5-6 years or whatever; ultimately it doesn't matter who you have coaching, it's the players that play and they have to figure it out and in this case, the scoring. It's no secret Torts is loved by the players. Numerous of them have come out and said he's the best thing to happen to this team so let him continue doing his job.

Why MG is doing a good job too with cap management. This is a blessing in disguise because now, we have a team that just can't score and a fee FA/trades can get the job done. Bring in a few scorers, a few goals = lots more wins. People have these sky high expectations but now that reality has hit, if we can get a top 8 pick this year and miss the playoffs, we get a blue chip top prospect, change/scorers and basically go back to the winning ways. Nothing to be mad about if the cards play out like that. Have lots of cap going into next season and then some with the cap going to increase undoubtedly. There are a flurry of teams mismanaging their cap and it'll truly effect them next year. Those teams made short term solutions for this year and didn't look at the big picture. Ask the Leafs and other teams how they'll be come FA and the draft...very little cap to maintain and build on their teams whereas we have a ton of flexibilty to make moves.

Archived