The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tortorella: "As a coach, this is my responsibility"

TheRussianRocket.

What are injuries again? Oh yea..

Burrows had a broken foot and then a broken jaw. I'd expect him to show some rust, not that much but I kinda understand.

Henrik was assaulted by Hanzal and as proven with Santorelli, Hanzal was very reckless and injured both.

Booth, Bieksa, Edler, Kesler. Presently Stanton and Richardson.

Daniel was only injured at the Heritage Classic, not really explaining the 20 games previous. A completely healthy player who has won the Art Ross doesn't score a goal and looked lost. That is not good.

Lots of players have been injured, nobody is making excuses for them.

This refusal to even consider that these two might be done is what I find odd.

Lol, they are just having one bad season and that's after the month if December when both got hurt. You seem like a very short-term guy and would make changes in days if things didn't work out. Lightning should trade Stamkos too...he's doing nothin atm, oh wait... :lol:

You seem like something else.

You calling this "one bad season" says more than anything. Weak argument too. Have the Sedins been here for days? Or years?

They can't find chemistry with anyone. Gillis' fault or their inability to adapt?

1.) You calling this "one bad season" says more than anything. Weak argument too. Have the Sedins been here for days? Or years?

2.) They can't find chemistry with anyone. Gillis' fault or their inability to adapt?

wth is wrong with you? Think this just proves you have a very minimal understanding about the Canucks.

1.) Dank: this year - 40 points in 63 games....Hank: this year - 41 points in 59 games...not so bad especially considering they've been on a long ass slump as of late and still have those many points. And yea it is 'one bad season'.

Dank:

2012 - 40 PTS in 47 games

2011 - 67 PTS in 72 games

2010 - 104 PTS in 82 games

2009 - 85 PTS in 63 games

2008 - 82 PTS in 82 games

2007 - 74 PTS in 82 games

2006 - 84 PTS in 81 games

2005 - 71 PTS in 82 games

Hank:

2012 - 45 PTS in 48 games

2011 - 81 PTS in 82 games

2010 - 94 PTS in 82 games

2009 - 112 PTS in 82 games

2008 - 82 PTS in 82 games

2007 - 76 PTS in 82 games

2006 - 81 PTS in 82 games

2005 - 75 PTS in 82 games

....wait, according to you, they've had more than 'one bad season'.

2.) :picard: ....they've had chemistry with every player that's ever played with them and made them look like allstars. They make that player get chemistry...Carter, Burrows, Bulis, Klatt, King, Samuelsson are just a few of the numerous guys they've played with and successfully find chemistry with...

That's enough to say the least...don't want to be associated with your lack of knowledge anymore than I have. Cya later..

So the players are completely in love with Torts. If so... wheres the compete?

Blunt as I am, how do I not have a extremely good point here?

I dont blame Torts necessarily; Id sooner finger the players who need to conduct themselves like professionals, and our GM who apparently has no idea what kind of coach this team needs.

If one gives full credit to him (calling him a savior) for Dec's awesome run, then he/she has to take the full blame for the current embarrassing streak. One can't blame the players when losing and praise the coach when winning.

With that said, the blame should be on everyone in this organization from MG to JT to the players. It doesn't matter whether there are injuries or disheartened millionaires, allowing 7 goals in the third period to a Tavares/Grabner-less Isles is not acceptable. It falls on everyone for not figuring out why Sedins have such scoring droughts, Burrows with 0 goals, Edler with a minus ten thousand, Hamhuis/Garrison looking completely lost and so on. It's the system of play, it's the way top players are worn out, it's the way these guys throw in white flags during games, it's MG not addressing our most dire needs and conducting a farce out of a goalie drama...

If one gives full credit to him (calling him a savior) for Dec's awesome run, then he/she has to take the full blame for the current embarrassing streak. One can't blame the players when losing and praise the coach when winning.

With that said, the blame should be on everyone in this organization from MG to JT to the players. It doesn't matter whether there are injuries or disheartened millionaires, allowing 7 goals in the third period to a Tavares/Grabner-less Isles is not acceptable. It falls on everyone for not figuring out why Sedins have such scoring droughts, Burrows with 0 goals, Edler with a minus ten thousand, Hamhuis/Garrison looking completely lost and so on. It's the system of play, it's the way top players are worn out, it's the way these guys throw in white flags during games, it's MG not addressing our most dire needs and conducting a farce out of a goalie drama...

Well said..It's just been a complete fail from top to bottom.

While I agree with premise that this team wasn't built to play dump and chase hockey, they could still be at least somewhat more effective at it if they bothered to forecheck properly.

It's March and one of the players mentioned last week that they were still trying to figure out how the forecheck system should be executed because, by their own admission, they were doing their own thing out there. Either that's a serious indictment of the coaching staff's ability to teach or the players just simply aren't listening.

I can't say for sure which one it is but this Canucks group should at least be professional enough to work as a unit.

Isn't it the coaches job to get the most out of what he's given? Perhaps he should be coaching to the players strengths instead of his agenda that doesn't fit.

I actually like the fact that he is taking responsibility and even if we are to agree that at its root, Torts is not at all the problem, nobody can say he is without blame.

The team was also decimated by injuries and they had some tough luck as well. Can't blame Torts' system because it was the same system that led the team to a record-tying December in wins.

This team, even when healthy, has only three bonafide top-6 players and the rest of the lineup is mostly 3rd line players, a few 4th liners and also a few AHL players (at least they would be in the AHL if they played on a contending team with depth).

People seem to easily discount the impact of losing Santorelli - just look at where he sits in team scoring having only played 49 games: 6th. Santorelli is a great story and I hope he comes back but not to take anything away from him- let's face it: when the team depends on a Mike Santorelli for scoring and to win games, and when losing a Santorelli causes serious problems for the team's offensive depth, this says a lot about the Canucks roster.

It's typically the same for every team - as their best players go, so does the team.

I do also disagree with Torts playing his top players so much...but then again that's pretty much all he's got as far as a hope for offense. And if that well dries up...

Lol, they are just having one bad season and that's after the month if December when both got hurt. You seem like a very short-term guy and would make changes in days if things didn't work out. Lightning should trade Stamkos too...he's doing nothin atm, oh wait... :lol:

Actually, that's exactly what he is.

I seriously don't mean or intend to pick on him personally but he is the absolute epitome of some of the bi-polar/knee-jerk emotional outburst mentality here on CDC.

Here he is in November gaga for Torts..."great coach"..."weaving magic"..."flourishing system" etc...

"Torts loses his cool for good reason "

"Any Canucks fan who thinks what Tortorella did was wrong is too far gone to deal with.

This team needs a catalyst and Torts is just that. His passion for seeing this team be treated with respect is unparalleled in the history of the franchise.

He stood up not only for the team, but for it's history, and us, the fans who support them."

The above was in January.

Now here we are in March and I saw this very same guy talking about how Torts is a Riverview escapee. That's basically what he said...Riverview and all...And of course there is more...

"The coach has serious mental issues and can't adapt one bit to a different teams dynamic."

"See ya Torts. Can't say any team is going to want your crazy ass after this steamy log of a season you've coached."

Personally, I find the psychology of it all to be just fascinating.

Since January 1st, this team has exactly 6 wins

6 wins in 2 and a half months

Sullivan was coach for 2 of those 6 wins

as Torts was suspended after 1 of his 4 wins for crashing the flames Dressing Room between periods

2 of those other wins were Lack shutting down the Blues

Torts has 4 wins in 2.5 months and some people still want this guy back next year! :picard:

4 wins in 30 games = crap coach

Since January 1st, this team has exactly 6 wins

6 wins in 2 and a half months

Sullivan was coach for 2 of those 6 wins

as Torts was suspended after 1 of his 4 wins for crashing the flames Dressing Room between periods

2 of those other wins were Lack shutting down the Blues

Torts has 4 wins in 2.5 months and some people still want this guy back next year! :picard:

4 wins in 30 games = crap coach

I would tend to agree if there was any point to winning the games for the next two years.

Torts lost his crap and went after an opposing coach. Some people thought he may win the respect of the room from that. But it seems the opposite has happened.

Veteran, cerebral players seem to have given up on him already. They have NTCs, he does not. So it's pretty clear to me how this is going to end.

I think they expected this as a possibility, which is why they hired a promising young coach as an assistant.

And a much worse record and injuries his style of play created and burnt out star players,and a few players he really p's off unnecessarily and a suspension that made him look like the dufus that he is and it is only six months in on the job.

I know all these words are english but wtf is this?

It isn't about the players. It isn't about the coach. It isn't about the GM.

It's about the system.

Dump & chase is an inferior system to puck possession.

We need to be able to come up with pucks we don't have but we need to stop voluntarily giving up the puck to begin with. If Torts could have recognized this then we'd be a playoff team still today, IMHO.

Just to be clear, the puck posession system is the same system that has helped us win one playoff game since game two , 2010 right?The same system as carried out by this group that has achieved a 1/8 record the last two first rounds?Not to suggest you're wrong about which is the bettr system. It would seem that this group is having difficulty with either system. So, does a new coach with another system provide success? Or new, on ice personnel?

This idea of paying two underachieving players $7 M a season to contribute and mentor the young kids is exactly how a team becomes a basement dweller. They were paid to lead this team and remain a scoring tandem. They have failed that.

Wasting huge amounts of cap space on declining assets is backwards especially when this team looks lost. Leaderless really.

What's done is done though and the fallout from this season will be more acutely obvious this summer

I sure hope they don't fire you when you fail to meet up to expectations, regardless of the cause .. on second thought .. practice what you preach .. just quit!

Archived