The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian RFA year

CanucksCaptain

I'd sign him to 4 years 2.8 million per. In two years that deal would be a steal for the Canucks. He will be put in more favorable stiuations next year such as more offensive zone starts, PP, better linemates etc.. If he's producing at this pace with the situations he's put in now imagine if he had all of those other opportunities. He will be a star. Very proud to say that I always had confidence in this kid, and believed in him. I bought his jersey right after the first time they played Buffalo 2 seasons ago. He will also be a strong leader once he matures into a 27 year old beast..

Zack Kassian

66 gp

13 goals

12 assists

Barely an PP time, and majority of ice on the 3rd/4th line

Cody Hodgson

63 gp

16 goals

20 assists

First line

Plays all offensive situations PP etc

Amazing how the haters never talk about this trade. I for one am not a fan of Gillis, didnt like the timing of the trade when it happened but never once thought Kassian wasnt going to develop into something

Kid is on pace for a 40-45 pt full season from a third line spot....improved defensively, using his body well now, can skate better than Coho, has just as good hands if not better.

And he's only 23...

He should get a bridge, 3 year deal 1.5, 1.75, 2mil

Anymore.

Higgins and Hansen are veterans that you always seem to downgrade the value of on these boards.

Higgins has nearly 300 points in the NHL, and is an elite two way tweener. This is his 5th NHL contract - a player who's been a 20/20 guy since he arrived here.

Hansen - likewise - 39 points two seasons ago and 36/82 over the last three years - as a 3rd liner on a team that has been hammered by injuries those years - he himself suffering a couple serious shoulder injuries this year - and nevertheless still on a 15/82 goal pace while imo being underutilized by Tortorella, playing less than 14 minutes 5 on 5, and less than a minute (46 seconds) of pk time per game. One of the headscratchers Tortorella has served up this season. This is also Hansen's 5th NHL contract.

Nothing wrong with those terms for a young Kassian who is just emerging and coming of his first ELC. As for your point, I don't see how you go from talking 6 years 3+ million (now that's something his agent should probably discourage) to suggesting that 4 years at 2.5 isn't enough. I disagree, but regardless, I don't care that much whether it is another RFA expiration deal or a longer term with a slightly higher cap hit.

"Higgins and Hansen are always the veterans I always downgrade the value of on these boards."

When have I ever bagged on Hansen? You are making stuff up. And not even relevant to the conversation. I projected Kassian will be a more important player to us. That does not have to be construed as slagging the others.

It does go to value. If Kassian is more valuable to us then he should get paid more if we sign him to a medium term such as 4 years. A good young player who looks like he has an exciting future will command more than $2.5 mill on potential. Funny, you are playing frugal on behalf of a favorite son.

If I used your logic, I'd be claiming you are calling Kassian a guy who will never peak higher than a two way tweener.

"Higgins and Hansen are always the veterans I always downgrade the value of on these boards."

When have I ever bagged on Hansen? You are making stuff up. And not even relevant to the conversation. I projected Kassian will be a more important player to us. That does not have to be construed as slagging the others.

It does go to value. If Kassian is more valuable to us then he should get paid more if we sign him to a medium term such as 4 years. A good young player who looks like he has an exciting future will command more than $2.5 mill on potential. Funny, you are playing frugal on behalf of a favorite son.

If I used your logic, I'd be claiming you are calling Kassian a guy who will never peak higher than a two way tweener.

Contracts aren't doled out on the basis of where a team expects a player to wind up years in the future however. Whether Kassian becomes more important than Higgins (I noticed you left him out :P ) and Hansen is still a future matter - at this point, Kassian simply doesn't command a greater cap hit than those guys.

Your still on about this? Once again show me something that says otherwise? This was a report from a interview with gillis. Not everything that gillis said is put in quotation marks it would make for a boring read. It was indicated that gillis said it and unless you can find something contradicting this you may have to accept it and move on. Standing up on your soap box and saying but.... But.... But... No will only get you so far. Put up or shut up. ;)

I don't live on these boards like you seem to. I come back to certain topics on occasion.

You should take your own advice. You are forming an opinion based on someone elses opinion; as a result, your opinion lacks credibility. Maybe you are the only one who doesn't comprehend that.

2 year deal at 2 million per. Let's see if he can keep that consistency that he's shown over the past month in the coming years. I really hope he does. He's got all the tools to be a real successful player in this league for a long time.

Good contract length but $2 million is way too much, $1.25 million would be a bit more fair. Andrew Shaw re-signed for 2 years at $2 million per season (starting 2014/2015) and Kassian isn't worth as much as Shaw. At the time I thought that was even too much for Shaw, but he's showing he's worth the money - 19 goals, 17 assists, 158 hits. Kassian is at 13 goals, 13 assists and 85 hits.

I'm not trying to compare the long term potential of Shaw and Kassian, but if you're talking about that type of contract now Shaw's situation is a realistic comparable.

If you look at his TOI:Point Scored ratio, he's second on the team. He's going to get 6 million over 3 years. I'd offer 15 million over 6 years and work down from there...

Then it's a good thing that you aren't an NHL GM. If MG offered him that then Kassian would end up going on the RFA market where the Canucks would then have to match any offer that is made to Kassian or risk losing him.

MG needs to offer a fair contract in the hope that Kassian will sign it, before the RFA period kicks in, to stay in Vancouver. There is no way that Kassian's agent will let him get locked into a long term contract unless MG is willing to overpay now in the hopes that Kassian will continue to develop into a solid reliable Top 6 player.

Gillis will get it done, because the longer it goes the more chance of an offer sheet from the 2 Alberta teams. Kassian is exactly the player the Coil or Lames need. Hall-RNH-Kassian or Monahan-Kassian-+ have fun playing against that in 3 years.

Anyone else notice how many times Kassian was the 2nd man back last game?

There were at least 3 obvious instances that I noticed/remember - two of them he wound up with the puck, making a cross ice pass to his defense partner and starting the transition back to offence.

Folks had made it in vogue on these boards to go on about how vacant, lost and defensively irresponsible he is - I think their blinders (and ignorance of underlying numbers) got the best of them.

If Zack continues to inch forward his progress in all aspects of the game, he has the potential to be a dominant presence.

• 2 months later...

Archived