The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New perspective on Barry Trotz

He would have won the Stanley Cup by now if he was on a decent team. I applaud his loyalty to the preds franchise most underrated coach in then NHL right now.

Yup. But if he wasn't on Nashville I doubt he'd be on another team. He just doesn't seem like he is the type who'd move his family and all that around. They are from Nashville originally. I just don't see him ever wanting to commit to a new team.

I'm sure he's a great guy and he has my respect as human being,

But as a coach? Trap style hockey is not hard to coach, only to watch.

The NHL has needed an illega defense rule for over 20 years now

It goes something like this, every time a team advances the puck over the offensive blue line, all three forward are required to stay there and actively pursue puck possession until the other team is able to clear it. All three forwards would required to ACTVLY pressure the puck carrier, no hanging around the bluline so they can set up the trap when he tries to make the break out play.

Trotz doen't coach hockey, he coaches players to stop their opposition form being able to play it.

If this were a collage team then fine, But this is the NHL who are competing for our entertainment budget

There have been few eras in the game as destructive as the "Dead puck era" The contributing factors to which, must be removed from NHL ice. Barry Trotz is one of them.

It goes something like this, every time a team advances the puck over the offensive blue line, all three forward are required to stay there and actively pursue puck possession until the other team is able to clear it. All three forwards would required to ACTVLY pressure the puck carrier, no hanging around the bluline so they can set up the trap when he tries to make the break out play.

Trotz doen't coach hockey, he coaches players to stop their opposition form being able to play it.

If this were a collage team then fine, But this is the NHL who are competing for our entertainment budget

There have been few eras in the game as destructive as the "Dead puck era" The contributing factors to which, must be removed from NHL ice. Barry Trotz is one of them.

Maybe that's how you feel, but the reality is that Trotz isn't coaching the team for your entertainment, he is trying to make the most out of the team that he has in order to put points in the wins column and hopefully make the playoffs each year.

Maybe that's how you feel, but the reality is that Trotz isn't coaching the team for your entertainment, he is trying to make the most out of the team that he has in order to put points in the wins column and hopefully make the playoffs each year.

I know he isn't, but he should be.

NHL franchise s are in the Live event, licensing/merchandising/Branding and TV business.

Those revenue streams are driven by how well they entertain the fans they have, and their ability to attach new ones

Trotz's coaching style is huge detriment to the NHL's ability to capitalize on those revenue streams.

Everyone seems to want to give him props, not me, I think his coaching style should have been banned 20 years ago

NHL franchise s are in the Live event, licensing/merchandising/Branding and TV business.

Those revenue streams are driven by how well they entertain the fans they have, and their ability to attach new ones

Trotz's coaching style is huge detriment to the NHL's ability to capitalize on those revenue streams.

Everyone seems to want to give him props, not me, I think his coaching style should have been banned 20 years ago

Boring winning teams will always bring in more revenues than exciting losing ones. Plus teams makes their profit by making the playoffs most of the time, so for Nashville it's more profitable to have a few thousand less fans during the season with a yearly boring playoff teams, than with an exciting team that makes the playoff 1 year out of 3.

I get your point, but there as to be some balance too. Nashville doesn't have the money to keep their stars (Suter, hartnell, Timonen), so they need some structure (boring) to be competitive.

ridiculous.

trotz is like alain vigneault, he coaches the players he has.

in 2006-07, the predators finished 4th in goals for. its not his fault that his gm isn't given enough money to sign top end offensive players.

Kinda like the Oilers and their high paced style? When the Oilers are on tv, I never watch the games. Not because I have anything against the Oilers, but I hate watching hockey, or any sport, where one team doesn't even have a fighting chance. When low scoring games are played correctly, those games are infinitely more exciting to watch then high scoring. I would watch the Preds win/lose a game 2-1 every day of the week then watch the Oilers win/lose 6-5 anyday of the week.

Their style of play?

Yes, definitely.

I think it should be removed from the game.

such a stupid and short-sighted standpoint. it's give and take, and it's how the game evolves and players get better and better with every new generation.

players get more skilled, so coaches have to think of more advanced defensive schemes. then, in turn, offensive players have to improve themselves to get around the better defenses. so on and so forth into infinity.

not to mention that when entertainment value starts taking priority over the will to compete and win, that's when the game stops being a sport and becomes "sports entertainment."

if you'd rather your team play exciting hockey and miss the playoffs than play a solid, defense-first game and win championships, you should switch to wwe or videogames, because you're not a fan of sports.

such a stupid and short-sighted standpoint. it's give and take, and it's how the game evolves and players get better and better with every new generation.

players get more skilled, so coaches have to think of more advanced defensive schemes. then, in turn, offensive players have to improve themselves to get around the better defenses. so on and so forth into infinity.

not to mention that when entertainment value starts taking priority over the will to compete and win, that's when the game stops being a sport and becomes "sports entertainment."

if you'd rather your team play exciting hockey and miss the playoffs than play a solid, defense-first game and win championships, you should switch to wwe or videogames, because you're not a fan of sports.

ok dude don't call him stupid. I don't agree with him either but let's not make judgement statements about someone's qualities just because of an opinion

Archived