The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison potential buyout candidate

missioncanucksfan

If any defensemen gets bought out, it's Edler and his -32! How can Hammer be +13 (45 pt swing!) Let Booth play out at 4.2 mil cap hit.

Ha ha ha..... wait! You're serious?

Ha ha ha..... wait! You're serious?

Of course. Booth is starting to show huge signs of improvement, while Edler has just sucked all season. He looks dreadful every time he gets on the ice, unlike Booth, who always tries hard when he jumps out.

Buying out Garrison is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. He's been just fine for the Canucks. I have no idea why people are hard on him.

Edler - terrible... literally as though he was a JR hockey player again playing with men. Makes no sense.

Trade Edler, Buyout Booth, Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Buying out Garrison is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. He's been just fine for the Canucks. I have no idea why people are hard on him.

Edler - terrible... literally as though he was a JR hockey player again playing with men. Makes no sense.

Trade Edler, Buyout Booth, Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Agreed; Edler hasn't played like an NHLer since before his injury 2 years ago. If we can't find a taker for AHLex, buy him out and live with Booth for another year.

the only part of garrison's game that's above average is the power of his shot. without that, he's a $1 m bottom pairing interchangeable part.

because of that, he doesn't bring enough to be put in a top 4 role on an above average team, and he takes up too much cap space to be a bottom pairing guy.

garrison shouldn't be bought out because he sucks, he should be bought out because he doesn't fit a role.

either that, or traded to a small market, budget-conscious team that would be happy to have him on the second pairing and not have a sniff at finishing more than 7th or 8th.

This article is why I don't pay attention to anything the media says anymore.

He leads the team in points at #5

MERCY!!!! He has the 5th most points. JG is no leader of men.

Hopefully he becomes something more, but right now he's just lovin the country club.

Keep in mind the huge inflation we will see due to the rising salary cap this summer.

Any top 4 D man will cost you a ton... #4 guys are going to be getting offers north of $5 million. The top pairing guys are going to get $8 million per, on long term deals.

All of our players under contract will start looking like pretty good value,

No, he will still be an overpaid, mind-boggling defenceman.

People are spot on about him. He isn't terrible like Booth... he's just insignificant. He's not agile, he never moves the puck, his shots don't hit the net and he's not even shooting much right now. He has a nice frame so he's okay in the corners and clearing the crease, but dreadful on the cycle chase.

And he was brought in to replace Salo, who didn't always score that many goals, but no doubt he was lethal on the point and kept defenders honest. Garrison doesn't seem to be as much of a threat because he won't drift in... he instead stays way back on the point and tries to catch defenders off-guard. But by hanging back he is never a true threat on the PP.

The only thing good about him is his durability, which alone might make him worth the $4.5 mil. But neither AV or Torts likes him, and I don't think the fans like him either.

As per Tony G

wondering since Booth has been playing great and showing he actually IS a hockey player and might be worth just playing out the final year of his contract

Garrison on the other hand.....

Surely Gillis walks the plank if Garrison is bought out. That being said I dont think Aqualini coughs up the dough for such a move. Maybe a move to bring in Brian Campbell whom Garrison had earlier success with.

Tony Gallagher???? AHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!! Oh you have to be kidding! Guy's a twit and doesn't

deserve to write about ANY sport much less hockey.. Good grief..

Only on the CDC..

People are spot on about him. He isn't terrible like Booth... he's just insignificant. He's not agile, he never moves the puck, his shots don't hit the net and he's not even shooting much right now. He has a nice frame so he's okay in the corners and clearing the crease, but dreadful on the cycle chase.

And he was brought in to replace Salo, who didn't always score that many goals, but no doubt he was lethal on the point and kept defenders honest. Garrison doesn't seem to be as much of a threat because he won't drift in... he instead stays way back on the point and tries to catch defenders off-guard. But by hanging back he is never a true threat on the PP.

The only thing good about him is his durability, which alone might make him worth the $4.5 mil. But neither AV or Torts likes him, and I don't think the fans like him either.

1.) Where is this information about coaches not "liking" Garrison?

2.) I'm a fan. I like him.

regards,

G.

Our defence is fine except for Edler. 2nd worst +/- rating in the NHL behind only Ovechkin, and not by much. He's not producing points, he's costing us big-time on the defensive side of things and he's somehow still a Canuck.

If Edler doesn't want to get traded then he should be bought out. This defence would be much better off without him:

Hamhuis - Tanev

Bieksa - Garrison

Stanton - Weber

Corrado

He's in a bad contract with ntc- that falls on Gillis. But he's not that bad to be buy out candidate. He also need to hit the net more. His best asset is his shot but its useless if he doesnt even hit the net.

Also Torts is misusing/exhausting most of his players. Torts hockey is boring and not good fit for this team. This team thrives in run n gun style hockey. Change coach to a marc crawford or laviolette, watch the struggling players put up better points again.

Offensive production means $$ when it comes to salary. That's how the NHL works, and it's why Ehrhoff didn't take the offer we had on the table. He wasn't particularly good defensively, where Garrison is better in that regard, so it's not a terrible contract at all considering it was a UFA signing (always a premium) and other teams were rumoured to be offering ~$6M for him.

Buying him out is one of the stupidest ideas I've heard on this board.

1.) Where is this information about coaches not "liking" Garrison?

2.) I'm a fan. I like him.

regards,

G.

:lol:

Don't hold your breath waiting for that info, and for what it's worth, I like him too!

That sound you don't hear is the point of the post flying over your head...

Nowhere did I say that Garrison is a top defenceman. What I said was that you have to consider the cost of salaries this coming summer (and for the next couple as the revenue from the new TV deal starts taking effect).

Add in the fact that the Panthers are going to suddenly be a cap ceiling team and have the space to basically overpay and add the top 3-4 UFAs on the market to their roster. Everyone else will have millions to spend competing for a very thin UFA pool of talent. All that equals stupid money being spent on average players. A guy like Callahan was smart to hold out for more because he will get it... and he is nowhere near an elite level player.

Plug defencemen who are much worse than Garrison will get more than $5 million per year this summer. I would peg Garrison as a #4 guy... in the UFA market you will pay more than his salary for a #4 guy.

Buying him out makes no sense when you have to replace him at a super premium.

Archived