The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article]The 10 biggest scape-goats in hockey

http://www.puckrant.com/apuckalypse_now/The_10_Biggest_Scapegoats_in_the_NHL

I got a big reaction to my "refs fixed the Oilers game" blog. Mostly negative. But getting a reaction is better than getting no reaction, so my reaction to your reaction is to write another blog designed to create an even bigger reaction.

The idea of writing a "Top 10 Scapegoats" blog came to me while I watched tonight's Bruins vs. Leafs game. I think I need to correct my comments from yesterday regarding NHL referees. I'll start my list with them.

Top 10 NHL Scapegoats

1. The Refs - As I watched the Bruins vs. Leafs game tonight, I quickly began to realize that the refs were equally terrible to both teams. Almost all of the calls in the third period and OT were bullshit calls. My guess is, the refs had booked a lane at the local bowling alley, and they needed to get going. They just kept giving out cheap penalties as a way of trying to speed things up. Well, it didn't work.

We can't really use the refs as a scapegoat for losses provided they are bad equally to both teams. And tonight, they absolutely were. When is the ref's lockout, anyway? Replacement refs couldn't do any worse.

2. Marc-Andre Fleury - Fleury is a decent goalie who plays on a team that is defense-optional. That's why I don't consider the Penguins to be much of a cup threat this season. Defensively, they just aren't very good. But when they lose, whose head do you think fans will be swinging for? Fleury, of course. Because you're not going to swing for Golden Boy or the one Russian player we all agree is important to the NHL.

3. Russians - Here's a bit of reality for you: Alexander Ovechkin leads the league in goal scoring this season with 48. Has a strong chance to be the only player to get to 50. And yet, all I've been reading about him in the media over the last few days is how half-assed he plays. Coach calling him out and everything. Bah, what does Adam Oates know? Obviously when the Caps lose in the playoffs (if they make the playoffs), all the blame is going to be focused on Ovechkin, and that other Russian guy on the team. I forget his name.

The "Blame Russia" thing is so out of hand, I've heard dozens of people suggest to me Nail Yakupov doesn't actually have a broken foot; management is just using an injury as an excuse because they never want him to play another game as an Edmonton Oiler. Head Coach Dallas Eakins misused Yakupov and completely screwed up his game, but people don't see that. All they see is another Russian head-case. Trust me, it wasn't Yakupov who made the Oilers have a bad season, and I hope the Oilers give him away this summer to some team and he'll turn into the 40g scorer he was turning into before Eakins showed up.

4. Sportsnet - Ever since Sportsnet bought the NHL rights out from under TSN and the CBC, everyone has been complaining constantly. "Sportsnet's coverage sucks!" Hey, go live in the 80's when I first started watching hockey. Back then there was a weekly Oilers game (usually on Wednesday) on ITV. The CBC wasn't doing double-headers back then, so you got Leafs games and nothing else. Someone should at least be happy a station paid billions for rights to the NHL. The way the Canadian Dollar is headed, there won't be an NHL five years from now for Sportsnet or anyone else to cover.

If you hate their coverage so much, turn the volume off and listen to 630 CHED. You bunch of whiners.

5. April Reimer - Absolutely unusual moment the other day. James Reimer had a bad game. That's pretty common. But the unusual part was, Leafs Nation lost their shit on Twitter, all of it directed at April Reimer. Why pick a fight with the wife? What did she do, keep him up too late the night before? Geez people, lighten up.

Everyone is still all mad about the April Reimer and Elisha Cuthbert moment from the playoffs last season. They only thing I didn't like about it was, they didn't make out at the end. Leafs fans need to get their priorities straight. Hot girls, a hockey game...add a Kiss Cam and who cares who wins on the ice. Just care about who is winning in your pants.

6.Fighting - I think fighting is stupid and completely unnecessary in hockey. But most of you Neanderthals like it and want it to stay in the game. When someone gets really hurt in a fight, or when some moose beats the hell out of a small, skilled guy, everyone starts jumping off the fighting bandwagon, and that's the annoying part. My thought is, fans who like fighting should be willing to do so in the stands to prove their loyalty. Or, they can jump into the penalty box to take on Tie Domi. I wouldn't hate fighting at all if some of the fans got injured too.

7. The Trap - When I say "The Trap" I say it in the voice of a muppet that sat next to the Trash Heap on the show Fraggle Rock. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a video of that stoner Mokey talking to the Trash Heap about recycling and alternative uses for hemp.

Anyway, the trap should have been declared an illegal defense ages ago, and be banished from the NHL. Why? Because teams that choose to play trap defense can win games without having actual talent. And aside from that, the trap slows a game to a crawl and turns games involving teams like Minnesota or Phoenix more boring than golf.

But I'm listing the trap as a scapegoat here. Teams who use it have the league's permission to do so. No one should be complaining about how boring the Wild or the Coyotes are to watch, because the league continues to allow this hell to continue. The whole situation could be solved with a simple illegal defense penalty, but the league won't do it, because it's the one way horrible teams from horrible markets can get into the playoffs.

8. Jay Feaster - For shame, all of you. Feaster was a brilliant general manager for the Flames. I loved the direction he was taking the team, and wanted it to continue. Who's there now, Burke? Well, that's the good news I suppose. Aside from stacking the future Flames roster with the cast of Slapshot, I don't see things actually changing for the better there. Feaster and Burke are just different kinds of stupid.

9. John Tortorella - This is another guy the fans pick on unfairly. The problem with the Canucks is, they're hagged-out. Management hasn't done anything to build towards the future for years. They gave away the wrong goalie, but eventually they traded the other guy too, just for the hell of it. Tortorella is going to be fired the second the season is over, and it will be completely unfair when it happens. You can't give a guy a bag of rotten grapes and expect him to make lemonade from it. The Canucks are rubbish.

10. And finally...Kevin Lowe

All of this "Fire Lowe" garbage this season was so stupid to watch. First of all, Kevin Lowe knows a thing or two about winning. Secondly, it wasn't Lowe who hired Eakins. Thirdly, Craig MacTavish's brilliant work at GM makes it very obvious which part of the management structure wasn't working correctly before. Steve Tambellini the Clown.

Kevin Lowe just sits at his desk, calling up his buddies Wayne and Mess, asking for advice on how to distract the fan base long enough to get a free billion-dollar arena and how to keep people buying tickets even though the team will basically finish with the same points total as their franchise-worse 62pts. People need to get off of Lowe's back. He might be the President of Hockey Operations, but he actually doesn't have any say over the team. He has no responsibility, at all, for the Oilers being a losing team for the last eight years. None.

7. The Trap - When I say "The Trap" I say it in the voice of a muppet that sat next to the Trash Heap on the show Fraggle Rock. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a video of that stoner Mokey talking to the Trash Heap about recycling and alternative uses for hemp.

Anyway, the trap should have been declared an illegal defense ages ago, and be banished from the NHL. Why? Because teams that choose to play trap defense can win games without having actual talent. And aside from that, the trap slows a game to a crawl and turns games involving teams like Minnesota or Phoenix more boring than golf.

But I'm listing the trap as a scapegoat here. Teams who use it have the league's permission to do so. No one should be complaining about how boring the Wild or the Coyotes are to watch, because the league continues to allow this hell to continue. The whole situation could be solved with a simple illegal defense penalty, but the league won't do it, because it's the one way horrible teams from horrible markets can get into the playoffs.

Not doing this is the biggest mistake the NHL has made in the last 20 years.

Not doing so cost the league it's deal with FOX in the 90's and millions of dollars.

The funny thing is, that it is SO obvious to anyone outside the game that the NHL is 20 years overdue for an illegal defense rule, but for some reason the people who run the league refuse to do it.

Biased much? Calling people Neanderthals just because fighting is something the author doesn't like? Big whup. I for one never jumped any bandwagon when there were any incidents in which a player gets hurt during fights. Fighting is a part of the game and there will be people that hate it and love it. No need to judge the "other side" calling them Neanderthals. If anything, hits (both clean and dirty hits) cause injuries much more than fights do. If fighting is so Neanderthal, might as well suggest taking out all of the physicality in hockey.

And LOL @ "Jay Feaster was a brilliant GM"

8. There will be no advertising or selling of any kind on this board.

This includes selling tickets or merchandise, referal/invite links or soliciting to join another message board. Any promotional content posted or displayed in signature or profiles will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising will be deleted on sight.

What's not ok:

• Any 'classified' type advertisements
  • Threads, posts, links, or sigs advertising games
  • Any promotion to a website with intent to syphon traffic or make a profit
  • Advertisements and links to other message boards
  • Requesting for or selling merchandise in signatures

Not doing this is the biggest mistake the NHL has made in the last 20 years.

Not doing so cost the league it's deal with FOX in the 90's and millions of dollars.

The funny thing is, that it is SO obvious to anyone outside the game that the NHL is 20 years overdue for an illegal defense rule, but for some reason the people who run the league refuse to do it.

good luck enforcing an illegal defense rule in a fluid game lkke hockey. Not to mention that "trap" is an overused, misunderstood concept for most of the people who use. Not many teams actually use the true trap anymore......people just use the term as a blanket to cover defensive hockey

good luck enforcing an illegal defense rule in a fluid game lkke hockey. Not to mention that "trap" is an overused, misunderstood concept for most of the people who use. Not many teams actually use the true trap anymore......people just use the term as a blanket to cover defensive hockey

Wrong,

It would be DEAD SIMPLE to enforce an illegal defense rule,

Once the puck crosses the offensive blue line, all five offensive players have 2 seconds to enter the offensive zone and there they must stay until the defending team either carries it out or dumps it out.

No more dumping the puck in and hanging back.

And yes, I am aware that the defending team could send a "Cherry picker" to the redline with no opposition player legally being allowed to follow him, but doing so would mean one less man defending a 5 man forcheck. Also this could make break ways an almost nightly occurrence. we would see more line rushes in one night then we see in a month.

Are you old enough to remember line rushes?

It's something that used to happen all the time when the NHL game was ruled by the talent and not by stifling coaching systems.

The trap as it was isn't seen much anymore, I agree, but the NHL is still sick with the disease of overcoaching. And that is what needs to be ended once and for all.

No more shot blocking either, that's what the frigging GOALIE is for.

It is possible to fix what is wrong with this game and it all starts with an illegal defense rule. Which I contend is the one thing standing in the way of the NHL becoming a major sport in the USA.

It would be DEAD SIMPLE to enforce an illegal defense rule,

Once the puck crosses the offensive blue line, all five offensive players have 2 seconds to enter the offensive zone and there they must stay until the defending team either carries it out or dumps it out.

No more dumping the puck in and hanging back.

That would also have a serious impact on how teams change lines. It is often done when the puck is dumped into, or carried into the offensive zone.

And what happens on a breakaway where the lead skater is simply too far ahead and the rest of the team doesn't make it to the offensive zone within 2 seconds? Does the goal get waived off for an illegal defense?

If you can't leave the offensive zone until the other team brings the puck out, almost every play will be a breakaway. The only way the puck gets out of the zone, is behind the defense.

I admire the attempt, but I just don't see how it would work. Too many problems with the idea.

Archived