The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

15 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Story on TSN that the Red Sox are willing to go 30-40 million more than offer for Price..looks like they are in big.

Yeah I saw that too. Even when Price was in Detroit the rumors were that he'd be in Boston by next year. I guess we can hope that he simply prefers  to be in Toronto but financially there's no way the Jays  will compete in this bidding war.

Stroman

Estrada

Dickey

Happ

Hutch/Chavez

The signing makes them deeper (a must) and adds a much needed lefty.  But is it too much to ask for a bonafide ace?  (It's too early to anoint that title to Stroman).  More and more it looks as if Sanchez and Osuna will be in the pen.  With the exception of Hutchinson, I don't see any of those guys above getting traded.

11 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

The only way I'm ok with this is if it's a sign-and-trade lol

I'm not sure that would even do it for me...lol.

Actually... ok... LH SP are always dealable, unless they crap the bed, so maybe he can be flipped at some point in this contract.

My hope is that this means Hutch goes to the pen to be a swingman/long relief, and that we still have a spot in the rotation available. If so, we know the line-up doesn't need a lot of work.

Fingers crossed it isn't what it looks like right now. I'm not going to overreact though... lots of offseason left.

Edited by theminister

That's the kind of signing which squashes my hope before a season. Filling the last rotation with a cheaper contract so the Jays can have another go around with the Happ experiment.  He may or may not be adequate, but this suggests they don't have an interest in competing. On top of that, i don't even like the contract, term or money.

I get why AA is gone now.

35 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

AA saw Rogers were going to be cheap bastards and didn't want to be the fall guy.  It's going to be ugly if those crooks actually have the audacity to claim they can't afford Price.

Yep. All the respect for AA now that the smoke has cleared. He did the best he could with Rogers pulling the strings. 1 year they give some hope and that's it, back to being the cockroaches they are. Applaud AA for leaving. BS ownership.

what a $&!#ty signing. Unbelievable. Only an idiot would give that for Happ. 

44 minutes ago, theminister said:

I'm not sure that would even do it for me...lol.

Actually... ok... LH SP are always dealable, unless they crap the bed, so maybe he can be flipped at some point in this contract.

My hope is that this means Hutch goes to the pen to be a swingman/long relief, and that we still have a spot in the rotation available. If so, we know the line-up doesn't need a lot of work.

Fingers crossed it isn't what it looks like right now. I'm not going to overreact though... lots of offseason left.

I guess a big budget team looking for help may be interested him down the road but for the time being I don't like it. Until management makes a move to really help the pitching I don't know if I'm buying into the 2016 season. We've watched too much mediocre baseball to be teased with one promising year only to revert back to mediocrity.

And a bit more to the Happ signing: all it shows is the organization shifting to being cheap and pretending they're trying.

Shows Lacava being Shiparo's puppet which fits perfect with his cheap mentality which matches exactly what Rogers are about. 

...even with his turn around year last season, I consider Happ a #5 at best. There's no track of him being consistent and its got to make you worry. Jays have tried this before icing a 3-4-5-6-7 rotation and it's failed. Estrada I would say is a safe 3 and Stroman I would say is a 2. He's our 1 but you don't want to rely on a youngster to do all the heavy lifting for you and be that guy. Don't want him to get Ricky Romero'd and funny enough, Stroman is the same age Ricky joined the team as a full timer.

...yea I get people will say "it's better to get 2-3 pitchers out of the 1 you'd get from Price" but I call total bs. An ace is key in today's game and we essentially lost ours. In fact, I bet Price gets more wins than the guys we cheaped out with altogether. 1-2-3 of Price-Stroman-Estrada >>> cheaping out. Why? Logically, it gives us a fair shot at winning 3/5 games. Keep that pace up the entire year and you're a top tier team. Not to mention RA can win .500 or more. Would also allow Sanchez to come in be taught like how Stroman was. 

...just a massive f-up. Could've made the right moves and become a powerhouse. Instead, cheap out and use that same money on crap investments. So frusturating. Not to mention our bullpen has taken a step back too. Frack.

Edited by TheRussianRocket.
  • Upvote 1

Typical Rogers cheaping out. The Blue Jays NEED an ace to succeed in the AL east. Huge mistake not bringing back Price or going for a guy like Cueto... Now the Red Sox are going to scoop up Price and the Yankees one or two other of the big names on the market, and the Jays are going to struggle. Fantastic.

J.A Happ is a scrub.