The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Now we don't know this for sure, but if you're Gibby do you feel like maybe you're on an incredibly short leash? Like it seems they're practically saying "you're not our guy, but we can't fire you for fear of being castrated by fans so we'll wait for your littlest screw up while your replacement waits on deck."

I know I sure would..I have never been a huge Gibby fan but learned to like him much more last season..for the most part he did a good job and seems liked by his players..I dont like how this new group does buisness at all.

Most casual fans probably aren't paying as much attention into the offseason as we are. The batting order still looks like mlb the show + force trades on. The pitching is definitely suspect because they went with a lot of small recent success guys with the hope they continue that path. I just think this team needs one maybe two very good relievers so Dickey, Happ, and Hutchison only have to get to the 6th inning on most nights.

25 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

If Encarnacion doesn't get a contract extension by opening day, I want them to trade him for a pitcher.

Speaking of which, according to ESPN a "mystery" team has just entered the Jose Fernandez sweepstakes. I think Edwin+ should be more than enough if we can't get him signed. 

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14320064/unidentified-fourth-team-enters-trade-talks-miami-marlins-ace-jose-fernandez?ex_cid=sportscenterFB

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

True but if he says that he's going to free agency if he doesn't get a contract extension by the start of the season, I'd trade him to get something back, No?

Still up to EE, regardless of an extension.   Players have waived their veto rights before but it's a tricky situation.  EE has repeatedly said he's happy here so doubtful he'd want to leave.

I'd be fine with EE past 2016 at a reasonable price.  If not, I'd be alright with a Colabello/Smoak platoon (assuming neither regresses) and investing the money elsewhere.  EE pretty much holds all the cards here, so I wouldn't plan on getting any significant assets back if he leaves.

48 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Still up to EE, regardless of an extension.   Players have waived their veto rights before but it's a tricky situation.  EE has repeatedly said he's happy here so doubtful he'd want to leave.

I'd be fine with EE past 2016 at a reasonable price.  If not, I'd be alright with a Colabello/Smoak platoon (assuming neither regresses) and investing the money elsewhere.  EE pretty much holds all the cards here, so I wouldn't plan on getting any significant assets back if he leaves.

I think that is why they resigned Smoak..I personally think he has much potential...big man and hits for power..great in the field..in my mind EE is expendable...I think EE sees the new regimes writing on the wall and made his case known and wont be unhappy either way..Bats will be next but it is enevitable.....this team will be on the decline soon.

Yes EE does have the 10/5 right to veto any trade but at the same time if a team asks you if you'd accept a trade to a team on your list of likes thats willing to work out the extension that you want before the season starts would you not think about it? I know EE is good friends with Robinson Cano and Seattle is looking for a first baseman. What about a trade based around EE and Taijuan Walker? Then the Jays could sign Pedro Alvarez for DH. I think EE would waive his 10/5 right if you told him you had him going to a team he likes that wants to sign him for 3-5 years before the season starts.

Kudos to EE for forcing the hand early, essentially making management indicate their intentions sooner rather than later and take a position.  They can play coy for the time being, but it's a service to all us fans to continue to reveal the true nature and intent of this management group as soon as possible.  I can respect where EE's coming from.

Just rip the gd bandaid off it already.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

Well its smart for EE he's a free agent next year and is expected to be primarily used as just a DH next season. Thats why I think if they wanted to trade him he'd accept. He could be DH all year which would diminish his value to his free agency. If a team he liked was willing to play him at first base or out right give him his extension prior to this season I doubt he'd veto.

On December 7, 2015 at 7:09:24 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

That long? Wow.

Just to clarify: "Die hard" fans don't wish for their team to fail. Maybe you can tell us again how the Lawrie for Donaldson trade was a bad deal, Mr. Expert.

BTW: For those blaming Rogers for not re-signing Price, both Beeston and Anthopolous have stated many times that ownership has never turned them down when asking for extra money to sign a player that they think the club needs. This move (or lack of a move) was made by the management triumvirate. Personally, I think 31 million is too rich a contract for a guy with zero playoff wins, but that's just me, I suppose. By all means, the rest of you can continue with the hand-wringing and jumping off the bandwagon.

You won't be missed. Especially the two hoping for Jays' failure next season.

For the 100x I never said it was a bad deal. It was a deal that was redundant at that time, when your offense was already the best in the league. If you are going to trade your best asset, then trade it for an area you lack in, ie: pitching.

Is Price worth 31M, with his post-season stats? Maybe not, but Clayton Kershaw got 30M, with 1 playoff win and a ERA over 6. 

Zobrist to the Cubs for 4 years at 56 million. As a result, Starlin Castro has been shipped to the Yanks. I wonder if more position guys will start to fall now, as a lot of the big pitchers are gone and Zobrist has now set a bar.

Edit: Arizona's acquired Shelby Miller in a 5 player trade. Dansby Swanson, the first overall pick in June, will be headed back the other way to Atlanta.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

For the 100x I never said it was a bad deal. It was a deal that was redundant at that time, when your offense was already the best in the league. If you are going to trade your best asset, then trade it for an area you lack in, ie: pitching.

Is Price worth 31M, with his post-season stats? Maybe not, but Clayton Kershaw got 30M, with 1 playoff win and a ERA over 6. 

Also, I wasn't on CDC at the time but I sorta agreed with you on the JD trade. Obviously we were getting a much better player (AL MVP, nobody had any idea) but like you, I thought they had some much bigger holes to be addressing. Which up until July they never did, they actually got worse by losing Stroman, and look what happened...

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan

The Jays will have to either sign both Edwin and Bautista to extensions or see them both walk, because if you trade one of them, the other one won't be too pleased with the move.

In other news, Lawrie once again got moved to the White Sox for two minor leaguers. Cue the "Lawrie for Donaldson trade" was a bad idea.

the pipe dream of EE to Seattle is probably gone, as Lind as been traded there. Shapiro said this morning they were finalists on Yusmeiro Petit but ultimately lost out. Darwin Barney has been re-signed on a 1 year deal.

And the Jays have selected RHP Joseph Biagini from the Giants organization in the rule 5 draft. 130.1 innings in AA last year he had a 2.42 ERA, 84SO, 34 BB, a .228 BAA, and a 1.12 WHIP. From what I can read he's mostly a ground-ball guy, which could serve a purpose for the team. This was from earlier in the season:

21. Joe Biagini, RHP - Big Joe has been Richmond's best starting pitcher this year, and it's really not even close. He's got a durable body, average stuff, and a sub-2.00 ERA over 12 starts for the Squirrels. He's never been a guy I'd watched closely until this year. Can he pull a Chris Heston on us?

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

the pipe dream of EE to Seattle is probably gone, as Lind as been traded there. Shapiro said this morning they were finalists on Yusmeiro Petit but ultimately lost out. Darwin Barney has been re-signed on a 1 year deal.

And the Jays have selected RHP Joseph Biagini from the Giants organization in the rule 5 draft. 130.1 innings in AA last year he had a 2.42 ERA, 84SO, 34 BB, a .228 BAA, and a 1.12 WHIP.

There's our big-ticket acquisition for the bullpen.