The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

5 hours ago, gurn said:

I'm hoping the Rays win, mainly because of the disparity in team payrolls.

Tampa is a very well run organization, with a very small salary hit.

The Rays also were supposed to play half there season in Montreal next year pre Covid, thats why I'm cheering for them as well.

Good Playoff ball being played tonight so far in the fourth.

Edited by blaise
  • Upvote 1

On 10/25/2020 at 1:38 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Arozarena was DOA, if Smith manages to come up with that ball. Unbelievable series of screw up that led to that walk off....

Looked pretty good on the Dodgers, if you ask me....

Not sure what the Dodgers have done wrong? They haven't cheated. I guess when you're good, you can expect the haters to hate.

On 10/27/2020 at 9:37 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Kevin Cash fracked this up with his micro-managing. Snell was mowing the Dodgers down and Cash pulls him because heaven forbid a pitcher face hitters three times in a game....

I think Cash is one of the best managers in the game, but I think yanking Snell was an UNFORGIVEABLE error on his part, and I think the Rays bullpen was over worked because of how much they pitched this year. I get all of the analytics, but sometimes you have to rely on your eyes. Snell is dominating the Dodgers, he strikes out the side the inning before, but because he gives up a leadoff hit and because the top of the orders is coming up to see him a third time you pull him? Being a Dodgers fan, I was ecstatic, but it was pretty unbelievable watching it. But all I care about is.......

ff_4111793-b212144a48f9fde8d782alt1_full.jpg&w=900dodgers-world-series-trophy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

"Overweight" Blue Jays star Guerrero says he's shed 32 pounds

The 21-year-old Toronto Blue Jays star spoke openly about his weight struggles in a Spanish-language interview with Yancen Pujols of El Caribe. Guerrero told Pujols that he weighed 280 pounds when he arrived to Blue Jays training camp last July, which is more than 30 pounds heavier than the 6-foot-2 infielder is listed on MLB.com.

Guerrero says he has lost 32 pounds since then, including 12 pounds in the last two weeks. He’s planning to lose more weight before next season begins, adding that his ideal weight is between 240 and 245 pounds.

Guerrero changed positions last year, with the third baseman playing at first base for the duration of the season. He’s vowing to reclaim his position, but he knows that it starts with him getting in shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought Vlad looked in reasonable shape when the season began, but put on a lot of weight during the covid "pause".

I'm glad to hear this, hope he can stay a Jay for many years to come.

In fact the Jays are looking really good for the future.

On 11/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, BoKnows said:

I hope the Jays are able to land some of these big free agents.

Seems like the Jays are linked to just about every big name player on the market.

I’m probably in the minority here, but I hope the Jays don’t trade for Lindor. As good as he is, the risk of not re-signing him will put a hole in their prospects pool that they built since Shatkins took over. Plus, I’m not a fan of trading Gurriel Jr. (most likely going the other way), because he such a key member in the locker room. It would be the equivalent to the Canucks trading Miller away. 

If they want to go the trade route. I would target a guy like Kris Bryant. While not the greatest defender, he’s a former MVP and all-star, who seem to had an off-year in the COVID-19 season. I’m confident he can bounce back. Rumour has it, the Cubs want to shed some money and he seem like the likeliest candidates to be moved. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

Seems like the Jays are linked to just about every big name player on the market.

I’m probably in the minority here, but I hope the Jays don’t trade for Lindor. As good as he is, the risk of not re-signing him will put a hole in their prospects pool that they built since Shatkins took over. Plus, I’m not a fan of trading Gurriel Jr. (most likely going the other way), because he such a key member in the locker room. It would be the equivalent to the Canucks trading Miller away. 

If they want to go the trade route. I would target a guy like Kris Bryant. While not the greatest defender, he’s a former MVP and all-star, who seem to had an off-year in the COVID-19 season. I’m confident he can bounce back. Rumour has it, the Cubs want to shed some money and he seem like the likeliest candidates to be moved. 

Could be wrong but I think the Jays originally drafted Bryant out of high school. Much later, near the 30th round I think. He never signed but instead went to college where the Cubs drafted him in the first round.

8 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Could be wrong but I think the Jays originally drafted Bryant out of high school. Much later, near the 30th round I think. He never signed but instead went to college where the Cubs drafted him in the first round.

Took him in the 18th round but never offered him a contract

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Took him in the 18th round but never offered him a contract

That would've been when the draft and follow was still allowed I think. They probably knew it was unlikely he was ever signing. I don't think you ever get to be a NL MVP without being a stud in high school.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

That would've been when the draft and follow was still allowed I think. They probably knew it was unlikely he was ever signing. I don't think you ever get to be a NL MVP without being a stud in high school.

It's crazy to think what could have been.  If the Jays played their cards correctly we could of had Bryant and Syndergaard on the same team.  Add Bryant to that lineup in 2015/16 and Syndergaard to the rotation.  Oh what could have been.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

It's crazy to think what could have been.  If the Jays played their cards correctly we could of had Bryant and Syndergaard on the same team.  Add Bryant to that lineup in 2015/16 and Syndergaard to the rotation.  Oh what could have been.

Yeah, the frustrating part about it is that you still could've had virtually the same team, swap Thor for Dickey, if the Mets trade never happened. Keep the Marlins trade because that eventually brought in Tulo and he was a key part of the 2015 "run". Just that dam Dickey trade. I thought it was a bad trade on the day it was made and it only got worse over time. I seem to remember @RUPERTKBD having some disagreements over Dickey. 

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, the frustrating part about it is that you still could've had virtually the same team, swap Thor for Dickey, if the Mets trade never happened. Keep the Marlins trade because that eventually brought in Tulo and he was a key part of the 2015 "run". Just that dam Dickey trade. I thought it was a bad trade on the day it was made and it only got worse over time. I seem to remember @RUPERTKBD having some disagreements over Dickey. 

They gave up way too much for a knuckleballer.  Doesn't matter if he won the Cy Young, knuckleballers have always been known to be inconsistent.

17 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

They gave up way too much for a knuckleballer.  Doesn't matter if he won the Cy Young, knuckleballers have always been known to be inconsistent.

An old one. By all accounts Dickey was a great person, a great leader and mentor on  the pitching staff, and an awesome voice in the locker room. Still doesn't make it a good trade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

The disagreement that I had with the bulk of the crew was when the Jays exercised their team option on him.....an opinion that I stand by.

There was a general opinion that the Jays should decline and hit the FA market with that money. My opinion was that Dickey was a known commodity, who gave the team 200 innings year in and year out. That's an underrated stat IMO.

I can't remember the name of the guy, but a couple of the boys I was disagreeing with wanted the Jays to dump Dickey and go after him. IIRC, he eventually signed for more and had less success.....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The disagreement that I had with the bulk of the crew was when the Jays exercised their team option on him.....an opinion that I stand by.

There was a general opinion that the Jays should decline and hit the FA market with that money. My opinion was that Dickey was a known commodity, who gave the team 200 innings year in and year out. That's an underrated stat IMO.

I can't remember the name of the guy, but a couple of the boys I was disagreeing with wanted the Jays to dump Dickey and go after him. IIRC, he eventually signed for more and had less success.....

Fair. I imagine part of it was the eagerness of the fanbase to just move on from that trade. That was a small part of it for me. 

15 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Fair. I imagine part of it was the eagerness of the fanbase to just move on from that trade. That was a small part of it for me. 

Could be....It was water under the bridge for me....

Of course, that wasn't the only area I diverged from most Jays' fans.....I also agreed with Shatkins' moving on with Edwing, Bats and Donaldson. I was disappointed that they didn't get better returns (same with Stro) but I agreed that it was time to rebuild....

24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Could be....It was water under the bridge for me....

Of course, that wasn't the only area I diverged from most Jays' fans.....I also agreed with Shatkins' moving on with Edwing, Bats and Donaldson. I was disappointed that they didn't get better returns (same with Stro) but I agreed that it was time to rebuild....

I’m not sure I was active ITT much at that time but I was definitely onboard with the rebuild too. I actually didn’t think they were really all that close even in 2015 and 2016, I thought they were still maybe one high-end arm and some bullpen improvements from being a WS caliber team. That rebuild should’ve been obvious.