The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Any idea when the remaining free agents can sign deals? Who do the Jays pursue?

Just like with any other sports, when the lockout is over.

Need an upgrade at 3rd base and possibly a 5th starter, unless they’re comfortable with Stripling or Pearson in that position. I’ll take a flyer on Julio Teheran, though and see what Walker can do with his mechanics.

Edited by shiznak

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/new-blue-jays-hire-vieira-living-dream-clubs-first-female-coach/

Toward the end of her days as a student-athlete at the University of Guelph-Humber, Jaime Vieira began considering possibilities for the future.

Coaching softball had gotten her through trying times as a teenager, when two rods were inserted into her spine to correct scoliosis, and offering lessons or running clinics at a private facility was probably her only path to get paid doing it, she figured. Staying involved on the field was one part of her plan, and another was building on a kinesiology degree by pursuing a Master of Science, using it as a springboard to eventually teach at a university.

“That was kind of my path,” she said.

Her dream, however, was different.

More than anything, Vieira wanted to coach full-time, a paid position at an American college, perhaps, or a job one day in the major leagues. Baseball was her passion and a career in the sport really appealed to her, although it felt too impossible to pursue.

“I thought I’d be setting myself up to fail if that would be my path,” she said. “I was talking myself down and being like, ‘You're OK, you could settle for being a teacher and doing this on the side and coaching in the summers and with (Humber).’”

Fate, as it turned out, twisted those plans and instead of chasing an alternative to the dream, she’s now living it as a hitting coach in the Toronto Blue Jays farm system. Vieira will be based out of the club’s Player Development Complex in Dunedin, Fla., likely focused on hitters in the Florida Complex League, although she’ll have her hand in a number of different tasks, too.

Working for the team she adored growing up in Georgetown, Ont., “was a pinch-me moment,” said Vieira, while becoming the first woman hired by the Blue Jays as a coach gave her both a sense of pride and responsibility.

“I want young girls to see that I have this position so that if they are playing baseball or playing softball, or if other women want to work in baseball, they know it is possible,” she said.

Demonstrating precisely that, Vieira is the latest woman to break through the industry’s longstanding gender barriers.

She did get that Master of Science from York University after graduating from Humber, while remaining on as an assistant coach with the Hawks. And she was prepared to expand on her biomechanics thesis on the relationship between the spine and a baseball swing through a PHD when she spotted a job posting at Jays Care Foundation.

The position involved working with the Girls At-Bat program and included helping coach Indigenous youth and kids living in poverty or with a disability. Intrigued, she applied, seeing it as a now-or-never chance to explore a baseball-adjacent career.

A job offer followed, she bailed on her doctorate to accept and fully immersed herself in the role, opening some eyes along the way.

In between her tasks at Jays Care, Vieira arranged coffee meetings with members of the baseball operations staff, letting them know about her coaching background and Master’s in biomechanics. Steadily, she made an impression and before the 2021 season, Jeremy Reesor, the club’s assistant director of baseball operations, forwarded her the posting for an internship in the department.

She applied immediately, and when the offer came, she just as quickly accepted, even though taking it meant giving up a full-time job with benefits for a lower-paying role that had an expiration date.

“It should have taken longer for me to decide,” she said, “but it really wasn't a decision.”

Vieira mostly worked with the club’s hitting department, putting her biomechanics knowledge to use in research studies while also contributing hitting evaluations for the draft. But she also used fitness and bat-sensor data to come up with ideas for players that were passed along to coaches and co-ordinators.

“She’s made pretty consistent contributions throughout the last year-plus,” said Joe Sclafani, the club’s assistant director, player development. “Her background and expertise meshed well and (minor-league hitting co-ordinator) Hunter Mense, in particular, started getting more comfortable with her, asking her questions.”

Eventually, the Blue Jays brought her to the complex as one of the six instructors at a fall a swing camp for about 20 minor-league players. Rather than passing along her findings for other coaches to relay to players, she gave hitters the information directly. While Vieira wondered if the camp was “a little bit of an interview for me,” Sclafani said the focus was on “who can make the biggest impact for us, and we felt that Jaime fit that mould, especially with her skillset.”

“She fit in seamlessly,” he added. “She asked good questions, had a good approach in how she talked to players on what she was looking for, like how she could help them in that space.”

As the Blue Jays worked through their minor-league staff for 2022, Vieira once again attended Major League Baseball’s Take The Field event, a program run by Torontonian Elizabeth Benn aimed at finding opportunities for women in the sport. That led to interviews with other clubs for roles around development coaching and biomechanics analysis before the Blue Jays presented her with the coaching opportunity.

“I'm really excited to get to work with the younger players,” said Vieira. “I have worked with the college age group for a while now, and I take pride in not only making them better on the field, but better people, and I think I'll get that opportunity here as well.”

Vieira’s approach to players is influenced by Ian McLaughlin, who coached her on the Halton Hawks club team and brought her on as an assistant at 16 when the spinal surgery sidelined her, as well as Duaine Bowles, the head coach at Humber.

In dealing with players, she draws upon the difficulties she had as a student in trying to understand how they learn and then adapts the information to their needs.

“It's really hard to do at times because you have so many people in a cage and you have to connect with all of them,” said Vieira. “But that's something that I take a lot of pride in, knowing the players, understanding what motivates them and twisting the way I coach to benefit them.”

That’s what the Blue Jays saw during that camp in November and the combination of both her technical knowledge and her ability to translate it for players led to her hire.

“She brings a really good approach to how she goes about things, how she connects the dots for all the things that we have available,” Sclafani said. “She's going to have her hand in some of the hitting lab pieces. We’re looking forward to seeing how she continues to grow as a coach when she has her own players and she's trying to develop the action plans and what drills we're doing and all of those things. It's going to be exciting.”

Especially so for Vieira.

She fondly remembers attending a skills camp at the Dome with her Halton Hills team as a pre-teen and now she’ll have a hand in grooming players trying to get there. “As a kid, you say, ‘Oh, I'm going to play baseball in the major leagues or I'm going to coach,” she said. “And then it wasn't just a dream for me.”

Good on the Jays for this, although it was a bit disappointing to read the comments section and see a couple of dinosaurs who couldn't seem to understand how a degree in Kinesiology would be a benefit to a hitting coach.....

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/new-blue-jays-hire-vieira-living-dream-clubs-first-female-coach/

Good on the Jays for this, although it was a bit disappointing to read the comments section and see a couple of dinosaurs who couldn't seem to understand how a degree in Kinesiology would be a benefit to a hitting coach.....

I don't think the Kin degree means much to her as a hitting coach, it just seems like a weak cover for the real reason they're upset- she's a woman.

50 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I don't think the Kin degree means much to her as a hitting coach, it just seems like a weak cover for the real reason they're upset- she's a woman.

Actually, I think it could be quite beneficial for a hitting coach, but I think you're correct on the other point...it's just a couple of clowns using "not being PC" as an excuse for being misogynistic knuckle draggers....

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Actually, I think it could be quite beneficial for a hitting coach, but I think you're correct on the other point...it's just a couple of clowns using "not being PC" as an excuse for being misogynistic knuckle draggers....

Well every hitting coach talks about hip hinge, spinal angle, etc etc now. It’s pretty common vernacular in modern baseball and any hitting coach worth their weight in salt would understand the concepts. I followed a guy on Instagram for a while (Ryan Fuller I believe is the name) who was a JuCo dropout and landed himself a job as a hitting coach in the Orioles system. That man explained these concepts better than any other hitting coach I’ve come across online or in person, to the point that even a simpleton like me can fire up the iPad with an app like Rapsodo and work with the kids I’m coaching on these concepts.  I don’t think it takes a Kin degree to be a hitting coach and I’m not sure it adds much value to the job. In her case though, I think any credibility she can add to her resume will only help to silence some of those idiots. I just don’t think it does anything to separate her from her competitors. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just for the record, the Jays hired her as apart of their farm system, not the actually club.

I believe Martinez is still the hitting coach for the big club, with Bo’s father as a part-time assistant.

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Just for the record, the Jays hired her as apart of their farm system, not the actually club.

I believe Martinez is still the hitting coach for the big club, with Bo’s father as a part-time assistant.

Yeah, she's way down the farm system, which is a good start I think.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/7-blue-jays-prospects-who-could-get-their-first-mlb-call-up-in-2022/ar-AAT2qSj?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

The "hurry up and wait" nature of this MLB offseason has impacted virtually all involved in the game.

But it's especially true for prospects gearing up to get their first major-league call in a 2022 season that's surrounded by uncertainty right now. At least seven Toronto Blue Jays youngsters find themselves in that position.

From promising stars to bullpen long shots, here is a list of Toronto prospects who could crack the major-league team at some point this year.

Gabriel Moreno — C

Last season's stats: 159 PA | .367/.434/.626 | 8 HR | 45 RBIs

The Blue Jays' top prospect, Moreno turned heads from start to finish last year.

Moreno's double-A dominance earned him a promotion to triple-A Buffalo in September, and he was one of three Blue Jays prospects named an All-Star in the 2021 Arizona Fall League. The 21-year-old Venezuelan doesn't go yard too often — he finished last year with eight homers in 159 plate appearances — but Moreno's discipline and loud contact make him an extra-base machine.

He's also proven to be a plus-defender, sporting the type of strength and athleticism that the Blue Jays lack in their current catching corps of Danny Jansen, Reese McGuire and Alejandro Kirk.

Kyle Johnston — RP

69 IP | 1.57 ERA | 55 Ks | 29 BBs | 1.159 WHIP

As the Jays continue to address some unanswered questions within their pitching staff, Johnston may emerge as a big-league contributor this season.

The 25-year-old right-hander was acquired in a trade that saw Daniel Hudson get shipped to the Washington Nationals in 2019. Though he's seen reps as both a starter and a reliever, Johnston's best chance to make the big leagues for the first time would be out of the bullpen.

A fastball-slider pitcher, Johnston finished his 2021 season with the Bisons, sporting a 1.04 ERA and 7.3 strikeouts-per-nine rate in 17.1 triple-A innings.

Jordan Groshans — SS/3B

316 PA | .291/.367/.450 | 7 HR | 40 RBIs

Toronto's Marcus Semien-sized mystery in the infield remains unsolved, and should the team fail to acquire a top-billing name in the offseason, Groshans may have a big opportunity coming his way soon.

Granted, Groshans hasn't played above double-A ball so far in his young career, but the 22-year-old has exceeded expectations wherever he's landed since recovering from a serious foot injury back in 2019. A right-handed batter, Groshans has an elegant and powerful swing that's worked well for him in the lower levels. He's also a highly touted defender who's projected to settle in at third base for the bulk of his pro career.

The Texas native had a .817 OPS and 40 RBIs with New Hampshire last season. Given time and the right tools, he should become a middle-of-the-order hitter for the Jays soon.

Joey Murray — SP

An entire season lost to injury may hinder Murray's chances of getting the call this year. Murray isn't on the Blue Jays' 40-man roster and has been flying under the radar through a rather exceptional minor-league career.

But if he's able to get back to form and dominate in the way he did prior to his 2020 ailment, there might be a spot for him in the big leagues. Murray's calling card is his fastball, which tops out at 92-93 m.p.h., but features elite spin rate. His curveball is a worthy secondary pitch.

The former eighth-round pick is primarily a starter, but he might crack the majors as a reliever.

Zach Logue — SP

125 IP | 3.67 ERA | 144 Ks | 27 BBs | 1.112 WHIP

A 3.32 ERA and 9.4 strikeout rate in triple-A will draw any team's attention. That's what the left-handed Logue brought over 18 appearances with the Bisons last year.

Strangely, Logue struggled in New Hampshire to start the 2021 campaign, posting a lacklustre 4.54 ERA over seven starts. But he got his groove back in Buffalo and may now be in a great position to take a crack at the major-league roster.

The 25-year-old throws a 93-m.p.h. fastball, plus a good slider and a changeup. With no minor leagues in 2020, Logue took the time to develop a cutter in addition to his primary weapons.

Bowden Francis — SP

132.2 IP | 4.34 ERA | 136 Ks | 48 BBs | 1.116 WHIP

The Rowdy Tellez deal has worked out pretty well for the Blue Jays so far.

In addition to one of their top relief contributors in Trevor Richards, the Jays also acquired right-handed starter Francis in that July trade — and he immediately became the team's No. 28 prospect, according to MLB.com.

Though Francis's numbers didn't jump off the page in his 73 innings with the Bisons, there is plenty of upside in the 25-year-old's slider and sinking fastball.

Hagen Danner — RP

35.2 IP | 2.02 ERA | 42 Ks | 12 BBs | 0.925 WHIP

Danner was originally drafted as a catcher by the Blue Jays in the second round back in 2017, but struggled through three seasons before converting into a reliever.

Since then, the 23-year-old has taken off.

Pitching in high-A Vancouver, Danner has been surprisingly stellar with a fastball that sits in the mid-90s and has even touched 100 m.p.h. Seeing his potential, the Blue Jays added him to the 40-man roster, which puts the righty in a good position to jump all the way up to the majors if his dominance persists.

The one big challenge will be the command of his slider, which has been shaky and could be exploited as Danner moves up the ranks.

• Cheers 2

Sad, sad news, according to this story a few drug cheats may make the vote for hall of fame:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/ortiz-clemens-bonds-to-be-close-calls-for-hall-of-fame/ar-AAT60Ls?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, with eight MVPs and seven Cy Young Awards between them, are in the bottom of the last inning in their Hall of Fame bids. Either they get in Tuesday — and it’s going to be close — or Cooperstown may elude them entirely.

David Ortiz knows a thing or two about clutch swings late in the game. But he might put this one away in his first at-bat.

Bonds, Clemens and Ortiz appear to be the only players with a chance at Hall of Fame enshrinement when results are unveiled Tuesday, with Ortiz most likely to get in on his first try.

Bonds and Clemens are in their 10th and final year on the ballot for the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. Due largely to allegations of performance-enhancing drug use, they have been unable to reach the 75% threshold to earn a place among baseball’s greats.

Bonds got 61.8% of the vote in 2021, and Clemens 61.6%. So far this year, Bonds has been included on 76.9% of public ballots tracked by bbhottracker.com, and Clemens is at 75.8%. The tracker has counted roughly 46% of the expected ballots, and players have historically received a lower percentage of votes from members who don’t disclose their picks.

That means Bonds, with seven MVPs and a record 762 home runs, and Clemens, with seven Cy Youngs and an MVP, are likely to be frozen out.

Curt Schilling is also in his final year, but his support has dropped off since he finished 16 votes shy last year.

Ortiz, a 10-time All-Star who spent most of his career with the Boston Red Sox, is on 84.1% of public ballots. He leads a group of 13 first-time eligible players that also includes Alex Rodriguez, Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard and Tim Lincecum. Only A-Rod and Rollins seem to be getting serious consideration from voters, but neither will be close to induction this year.

Players elected Tuesday will be enshrined July 24 in Cooperstown along with era committee selections Buck O’Neil, Minnie Miñoso, Gil Hodges, Tony Oliva, Jim Kaat and Bud Fowler.

Bonds, Clemens and Rodriguez look like no-doubt Hall of Famers on the backs of their baseball cards, but PED suspicions have tarnished their reputations with many voters. Bonds has denied knowingly using PEDs, while Clemens has denied taking them outright. Rodriguez was banned by Major League Baseball for the entire 2014 season after violating the league's drug policy.

Ortiz also comes with some PED baggage, but voters are less bothered by the more shaky evidence of his use. His lone reported positive test for PEDs came during survey testing in 2003 that was supposed to be anonymous and used to determine whether to institute regular testing. Ortiz denied using steroids, and Commissioner Rob Manfred said in 2016 “I think it would be wrong” to exclude him from the Hall of Fame based on that lone test.

With a .286 average and 541 home runs, Ortiz may also stand to benefit from a recent shift by voters in their evaluations of designated hitters. Frank Thomas, Edgar Martinez and Harold Baines have all entered the Hall since 2014. Martinez made 71.7% of his plate appearances as a DH, most among Hall members. Ortiz would pass him at 88%.

BBWAA members are instructed to elect Hall members “based upon the player’s record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.” Nobody was selected last year, with Schilling coming closest.

Schilling has ostracized himself in retirement by directing hateful remarks toward Muslims, transgender people, journalists and others. He asked the Hall to remove his name from this year's ballot, but he remains a candidate. Enough voters have given up his cause to ensure he stays out, though — he is on just 61% of public ballots.

Others also have been dismissed by some voters for disturbing off-field behavior. Slick-fielding shortstop Omar Vizquel has been accused of domestic violence by his ex-wife and was sued over claims of sexual harassment by a former minor league bat boy last year. After receiving 52.6% of the vote in 2020, he's trending around 11% this year.

Bonds also has been accused of domestic violence, and Clemens of maintaining a decade-long relationship with a singer who was 15 when they met.

Other first-timers among this year's candidates are Justin Morneau, Jake Peavy, Carl Crawford, Prince Fielder, Joe Nathan, Jonathan Papelbon, A.J. Pierzynski and Mark Teixeira. Players must appear on at least 5% of ballots to remain in next year's pool. None of those players are above that threshold on the public ballots.

Several other players are poised to make gains that could portend a future election, including Scott Rolen (fifth year), Todd Helton (fourth), Andruw Jones (fifth) and Billy Wagner (seventh).

34 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Ortiz in.

Bonds, Clemens, Schilling off the ballot

Curt Schilling can **** right off as far as I’m concerned. 

The only way I’ll accept Schilling ever getting into the HOF is if he eats his bloody sock then mouth kisses a transgendered person on live TV. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

As it stands now they jays get two comp picks for losing Semien and Ray. I kind of like the idea of picking Kumar Rocker in the draft. He’s ranked to go a little bit after our 1rst round pick. He was picked 10th last year but didn’t even get offered a contract because of his medicals. He played independent ball this year and his stuff is good enough. We’ve drafted guys with elbow injuries before. My thought process is this is a guy skill wise worthy of being picked very high that we could offer under slot because of limited leverage so we could with our two comp picks go over slot with the savings.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

MLB The Show 22 Cover Athlete Announced on Monday Morning, Party gets started at 8:35am Pacific, I’m hoping it’s Shohei Ohtani if not him then Guerrero(they used to have a separate Cover Athlete for Canada up until a few years ago)

Edited by Mj2345