The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

the second wild card spot is going to be very complicated if all the teams end up with 88 wins..... Jays for sure have a wild card though.

Did they clinch at least the 2nd wild card tonight? 

Just now, Xbox said:

Did they clinch at least the 2nd wild card tonight? 

yes. Win tomorrow they have Home for the WC. Any scenario of Baltimore losing jays get Home for the WC. Jays win the tie breaker against all teams involved. Atlanta, or HOTlanta, did jays an humongous favour tonight.

14 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

yes. Win tomorrow they have Home for the WC. Any scenario of Baltimore losing jays get Home for the WC. Jays win the tie breaker against all teams involved. Atlanta, or HOTlanta, did jays an humongous favour tonight.

Yeah the way things turned out tonight were definitely good! 

But i don't think it's official yet.. https://www.playoffmagic.com/mlb/

I feel like Twitter would be blowing up as well. 

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Yeah the way things turned out tonight were definitely good! 

But i don't think it's official yet.. https://www.playoffmagic.com/mlb/

I feel like Twitter would be blowing up as well. 

I got it wrong. Jays at least have a tie breaker game if there are more than two teams tied at 88 wins. Jays would have the top Seed (if that means anything) in that tie-breaker mini tourney.

Edit: Seattle got eliminated. And it's done differently apparently. No idea what happens.      

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

Nay, the Jays' magic number is 1. So, either a win or a loss from Detroit or Baltimore, means they clinch.

We clinched a post season game. Game 163, just have to determine if its hosting the WC game or playing for a chance to play in the WC game. 

Really hoping Teheran pitches lights out today, he has struggled lately but does have electric stuff. 

Oi, comments on the MLB site are promoting Dickey start today.  Their reasoning is the Jays are guaranteed at least a game 163 so save Sanchez for that if they lose, if they win you have him for the Wild Card game.  Now, I'm not a Dickey hater but that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.  Sanchez is pretty much the perfect guy to have today as playing one fewer game at this point of the year would be nice.  Plus, in a potential Wild Card game I'm fine with Estrada or Stroman, if the Jays are going to go far they'll need more than Happ and Sanchez anyways.

"IF THE JAYS LOSE AND DETROIT WINS

Then we have to wait until Monday to see if Detroit wins their makeup of a rained-out game against Cleveland. If the Jays lose, Baltimore wins and Detroit wins both of their remaining games the Tigers and Jays will have to play a tiebreaker game, presumably on Tuesday. If both the Jays and Orioles lose on Sunday and Detroit wins both its games, then the three teams would be in a three-way tie. Since the Jays won the season series against both teams they would likely choose to be designated the A team, with Baltimore as the B team and Detroit as the C team. The Jays would then host Baltimore in a tiebreaker game and Detroit would host a second tiebreaker game against the loser of the first tiebreaker game. The winners of the two tiebreaker games would then play in the wild card game."

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2016/10/02/what-blue-jays-must-do-today-to-make-playoffs.html

Three way playoff tie-breaker. How many late-in-the-season single-game winner-take-all heart attacks is too many? Never too many, for a sports fan.